I need skill shot advice from a pro

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Merb2

04-01-2013

So I am usually pretty good with skill shots and would say I land them with success 90% of the time. Sure my guess (and probably over-estimate) of 90% is good, but it is not good enough.
I hate playing a game as sivir and you throw your boomerang (q) and you miss. that is quite a big deal since she has a very low amount of mana and that skill takes up quite a bit of mana. Sure you can get your mana back with her spell-shield assuming your are going against people who have skills you can block (but I usually have bad luck and get matched against teams like draven and volibear where it can be hard to block draven's abilities since most are just passive boosts and blocking a volibear throw doesn't really help you since he can just fear you, so then you are stuck with the decision, do I want to get feared for ~1.5 seconds or thrown backwards.. anywho...).

My usually approach to using skill shots is waiting until I can make sure I can land it, but then I always account for where they will be if they are moving and if they have been dodging skill shots well or not.

I am looking for some pro advice on when to do them or when not to. I know that I am doing pretty well with them, but I feel like I could be better.
Do you guys ever do a skill shot in a place that won't hit them in anticipation that they will dodge where you would/should throw so then you actually hit them?
I play with a friend a lot and whenever one of us is adc then the other supports and visa versa. We like to have the support hide in bush and jump out to the enemy champs to scare them in the opposite direction so the adc can land a skill shot quite easily since they are left with the decision of avoiding a potential snare/stun/poke, but in reality the enemy adc is just setting them self to be hit by an adc's skill shot.

Are there any other tricky or more advanced techniques that can come with skills shots? This doesn't only apply to adc/support lanes. This can be with any lane.

Also, I main as a jungler and usually play sejuani. She has a skill shot ult that freezes the target when hit, but the problem is that people are smart and hide in bushes to run away. I never use my ult on them unless I see them, but do pros ever send out their ult where the person would be so then the enemy would have to either A) get hit with the ult or B) turn around to avoid getting hit which could also put them in a lot of risk if they are being chased. Sure they could always burn a flash to avoid any ult or skill shot, but they could just flash away at any time so let's pretend they are not going to use flash.

Thanks

OMG Kittens Meow

04-01-2013

Quote:
and blocking a volibear throw doesn't really help you since he can just fear you, so then you are stuck with the decision, do I want to get feared for ~1.5 seconds or thrown backwards.. anywho...).
Voli's W Roar doesnt fear champs. Just monsters/minions btw.
I stopped reading after that line.

LifeSmash

04-01-2013

I'm not even 30--not even 20--but I can tell you there are two ways to use skillshots:

1. Intending them to hit your opponent, because that's kind of the point
2. Intending your opponent to dodge them, to control their movement

An example of number two. You're blue team, chasing someone up the river towards the upper-left of the map, and you're playing someone with a skillshot CC. Assume movement speed is about equal and they're just within skillshot range. Ideal situation for them is going into their tribush because they have a turret right there. Fire your skillshot to cover the way into their tribush, making sure to lead them by the correct amount so it'll hit if they keep running. There will be one of two results: they'll dodge it and waste time so you can catch up to them (they might even change direction entirely, letting you cut them off from their turret), or they'll get hit by your CC and you'll catch up to them. Heads you win, tails they lose.

In other words, you can use skillshots to control the direction your opponent is running, which can cut them off from their turrets or send them running towards your jungler/other teammates or otherwise prevent them from getting to safety.