[Guide] Pantheon, Give Them Nothing...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

d0rkbrains

02-05-2010

BUT TAKE FROM THEM....EVERYTHING!!!!!

Dorkbrains's Guide to Pantheon:

INTRODUCTION:
I really haven't played too many games with Pantheon but I don't think that he is that hard of a champion to figure out and that i have played enough games to write a decent guide for him. In this guide I will try to address the different skills you should bring to the playing field as you play Pantheon along with how you should address different situations. Pantheon is a very good 1v1 fighter and a great 5v5 fighter. However, he does have quite a few weaknesses which I will try to address in this guide. I am open to criticism as this is my first guide but please do not hit me too hard, this guide is purely being made in order to help new Pantheons and possibly give some new ideas or strats to the vets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

SKILLS:
Q - Spear Shot
Pantheon hurls his spear at an opponent dealing 30/40/50/60/70 + 100/110/120/130/140 percent of his attack in physical damage.

This skill is your nuke, in situations, this is going to be the first skill you max and in other situations this is going to be the skill you just throw one point into and use to harass whilst you're leveling all your other abilities. The scaling of the damage on this skill is great once you finally have all your attack damage but early on (after the other team gets their few levels and the HP that comes with it, you see its purpose slowly fading away).

W - Aegis of Zeonia
Pantheon leaps at the target enemy champion and deals 50/75/100/125/150 (+1 per ability power) magic damage and stuns them for 1 second. Pantheon also instantly refreshes his Aegis Protection.

This is usually the first skill I get depending completely on the lane partner I have though. I never max this thing out until the end though, it doesn't scale off of the heavy attack damage that I plan on making so why on earth am I going to waste skills on it like it does?

E - Heartseeker Strike
Passive: Pantheon gains 100% critical strike chance against targets below 15% of their max health.

Active: Pantheon focuses and deals 5 swift strikes in front of him for 6 + 18% of his weapon damage in physical damage per strike. This attack deals double damage to champions.

This skill is great for farming, getting your enemies off of turrets and even better, KILLING! That's right, this skill will drop your enemies HP like nothing (unless they have insane-o armor lol). This deals a relatively large amount of damage once it is leveled up especially scaled with your bloodthirsters...

R - Grand Skyfall
Pantheon gathers his strength and then leaps high in to the air, crashing down at the target area a few seconds later. Deals up to 400/700/100 (+1 per ability power) magic damage to units at the center (down to 33% at the edge) and slows them by 35% for 1 second.

After the next patch, this ult is supposed to have a big buff where the huge circle of obviousness is going to show up at the last second only, this will change the use of the ult a TON in the sense that it has now become a powerful ganking tool. Contrary to what my guide previously said, if you see someone alone, at this point in time, pre-buff, ult in behind them (where they would run away if they had to) and then run up behind them, stun, aegis of the legion, spear, exhaut, spear until dead. I severely underestimated this ult when I first wrote my guide and I apologize to those I mislead.

Passive - Aegis of the Legion
After attacking or casting spells 4 times, Pantheon will block the next normal attack that deals more than 40 damage to him.

This passive is absolutely amazing, it blocks turrets, what more could you want? However, it really doesn't do TOO much with this build because this is not an attack speed build...

RUNES:
Im just running a simple armor pen, block, and cooldown build atm...may change.

Marks: Attack Speed
Seals: Dodge
Glyphs: Cooldown reduction
Quints: Armor pen

I'm thinking that i may make the quints HP per level or solid HP just because with this build you really don't have much health, you depend on your massive lifesteal from the thirsters

MASTERIES:
I run an offensive/defensive build with these bad boys...21/9/0

Offense:
Deadliness(3)
Criple(1)
Sorcery(1)
Alacrity(4)
Sunder(3)
Offensive Mastery(2)
Brute Force(3)
Lethality(3)
Havoc(1)

Defense:
Resistance(3)
Hardiness(1)
Evasion(4)
Nimbleness(1)

SUMMONER SPELLS: (my build: Exhaust, Flash)
Spells to use:

Exhaust: This bad boy just got a buff that made Master Yi worthless...why wouldn't you take it!??! No, in all seriousness, this spell is great for getting an early game first blood, it's good to use after you just stunned your enemy for 1 second and he's running away, and it's good for shutting that **** team killing arrow shooting PITA twitch...get it...you'll love it.

Flash: Another great skill for this guy, you stun your enemy, pop your Heartseeker Strike, throw your spear, flash in on top of him, auto attack once and he should be dead...if not, your spear is up! This is also for cutting those tight corners and of course getting away from someone. All around this is a great spell.

Ignite: I've only used this once on Pantheon and I wasn't impressed, I figure you're going to be auto attacking someone with no HP rather than hitting them with ignite, you do more damage that way. But this is also a powerful skill for getting that "last hit" on someone. And there is nothing worse than losing your last 20 HP because of a **** summoner spell!!!

Cleanse: It gets you out of those tough situations, I've seen a lot of Pantheons get owned by a Veigar because of their stun so it's gotta be nice, and it breaks blinds which is AWESOME against Teemo.

Ghost:
Another chasing skill, I still prefer Flash though just because you can Flash anywhere (ie. over walls) you have to actually run with ghost which is easy to catch imo. However, this is a viable replacement for exhaust and i've been thinking about it but i do believe that exhaust helps the team a lot more.

Spells to run from:
Teleport: You already have a teleport!!!! Why waste a skill on it!?!?!

Fortify: Let someone else have this spell, you're offensive, not defensive. Play that way.

Rally:
It's tempting but I always find myself chasing someone down to kill them so Rally quickly finds itself out of range.

Clairvoiance: Let someone else have it.

SKILL BUILD:
1. Q
2. W
3. E
4. Q
5. Q
6. R
7. ...

Priority on these skills changes every single game...if you're getting pushed hard...i'd level up your E before Q because you can just hit them with it every time they get to your turret, if you are pushing hard, get Q, get your passive up, run up to their turret, hit them with a spear, block the turret hit, run. I never level up W until the end, the cooldown is good enough especially with a brutalizer, the damage output is horrible (doesn't scale with damage), and the stun never gets longer...so just wait on this one...

The one thing I do change in the first 6 spells is the first one...if I lane with a Nunu or anyone similar (does a lot of damage w/ slow or just does a lot of damage *cough* Sion *cough*) i get W first, stun them and auto attack, usually the Nunu will slow them after the stun or the Sion will rape them while stunned, if they run, i just pop exhaust on them, I almost always get first blood.

If you don't take this path and you get Q first, remember that it's really important to get money...imo if you aren't going to get a kill, harassing isn't worth it...just get fast money so you can get your deadly items first...this leads us to....

ITEMS!!!!
1. Phage
2. Berserkers Greaves
3. Bloodthirster
4. Infinity Edge/Black Cleaver
5. Infinity Edge/Black Cleaver
6. Banshee's Veil (or something that you need for survival)
7. Trinity Force

If the enemy team is armor heavy, get the Black Cleaver first regardless of your gold, however, if you have a **** ton of gold because you've been raping face ganking, then get an Infinity Edge first. Nothing is better than harder crits :P.

Changes to items throughout the game:
If you feel that early game you're getting raped and you can't handle having the base HP that you get from Pantheon, get a phage instead of the brutalizer.

CC really screws pantheon over and if it's a must, don't be afraid to pick mercury treads over berserkers greaves, however in almost all of my games, I ignore the other teams abilities and go for berserkers, this may be my problem, but i just really want the attack speed from the boots that i don't get from the rest of my build.

I base the changes to this build entirely off the rate of the game, if we are dominating, i keep the build going 100%. One unfortunate problem you are almost bound to run into is a team just rolls you...it's at this point where i change my build almost entirely....i get 1k gold, sell the brutalizer and say hello to my new last whisper...then i go for phantom dancer or madreds razors...next thing you know...im ulting in on the enemies turrets and just picking them off one by one. you have all the attack speed you need to tank a turret because of your passive and believe me, it's fun as hell to just go raping turrets with no minions :P i've won 7 games in my time as pantheon by backdooring for my team with this build...i don't suggest doing it without the three big damage items, but if you have to...you can...you just probably wont get a turret down all the way.

*About My Items*
I realize that I don't really enforce the attack speed sense in the building of Pantheon, but I really don't see it as necessary unless it's late game where you're getting an influx of gold and your team desperately needs a backdoor. They say go attack speed to proc the passive but the passive works on skills to, if you're spamming your spear like I do, then you're not going to have any issue with getting your passive up. So I will stand by my heavy Damage build 100%. I'm still open to suggestions, but I really feel that this build is one of the best out there.

PLAY STYLE:
Levels 1-6:
Start with either a Long Sword + HP pot or a Ruby Crystal and just have fun, harass if you want, but you gotta realize, the gear you need is omega expensive, so last hitting is extremely important. The first thing that you should buy is a long sword and a healing potion. By the way, if you get the healing potion, USE IT!! I usually forget that I even have one soo it becomes worthless to me but yea...make sure to use it. So basically until you're level 6 and quite frankly until after level 6, you're going to want to play this safe. I typically stay in the lane until things turn sour, you're doing enough damage to keep last hitting creeps, I wouldn't be afraid to even stay in the lane until you're level 10 tbh. However, if you're on a premade or you have good teammates, coordinate a gank, all you gotta do is jump in with W, then the other guy dps's them down, and you pop a few spears and auto attacks. I'll chase into a turret if my passive is up and the dude has no HP, what a perfect time for a healing pot!!!

Level 6-12:
By now you should become a force to be reckoned with, you're doing a quite a bit of damage and the team is probably scared sh*tless of you...this is great. You should have your Brutalizer and Boots by now and maybe, hopefully a BF sword if you're not that far, that's okay, just realize, you want your Bloodthirster fast, it's easy damage and you need to try to stack it before you get your next items so keep farming. Once you get the bloodthirster is when you want to go ahead and start ulting in on large creeep waves to get the stacks and also you may want to jungle just for the extra stacks and gold.

Level 13-16:
By now you should have your first Bloodthirster for sure and should be well on your way to getting your next heavy damage item if you don't get it sometime between these levels, you may be doing something wrong! Most teams are probably really afraid of you unless your team or you have been feeding :P but yea, you should be doing a **** ton of damage right now, and should be soloing dragon every time it's up for the gold and help for the team, faster level 18 = faster win. Im usually constantly getting the blue buff and red buff...I ult in onto the enemies blue buff. Kill it. Run to my red buff. Kill it. Go gank. With the brutalizer, your cooldown times are insanely short (Compared to what they were) so using your ult to get buffs isn't a bad thing imo.

Levels 17-18:
At this point you should have a Bloodthirster, if the enemy team is heavy tank/armor, you should have a Black Cleaver, and no matter what you should have at least another B.F. Sword in your stash and should be dealing an insane amount of damage (roughly about 360-400 damage) at this point, cooldown isn't insanely important, it's just a luxury and you can easily trade that brutalizer out for a Madreds Bloodrazor or Last Whisper if you'd like. Although most games don't even make it far enough to get all the items, if they do, you don't want to be caught doing a ton of damage late game in vane. I haven't tried soloing baron with the 3 different heavy damage items but i could solo him with the bloodthirster x2 + infinity edge build.

A few hints:

Regarding the ult:
Times to use it:
Stopping The Push:
When there are 3 or less people on your turret and you're at full hp (ie. sitting in spawn looking at your turret) go ahead and pop your ult ON TOP OF THEM!! meaning the center of your ult is going to hit right in front of the turret where they are attacking from. You may be thinking...oh but dork for brains...why don't I pop it so the edge of the circle is right next to the turret so that they have to run further to get out of my ult...? Well, what are you going to do when they run the other way? They move 2 centimeters and they aren't in your ult, they aren't slowed, they aren't hurt, and they're still hitting your turret! So that's why you want to hit right on top of them, it's further for them to run not matter which way they go.

Getting Buffs:
Plain and simple. Just pop that bad boy right on top of the Golem or lizard, and go kill him, it's not a waste like many people think, especially if you get blue buff with it. You regen the mana and the cooldown is reduced even more...Good job. And hey, who knows, maybe you'll surprise a twitch or someone as you go ulting into their blue buff free kill? It's happened three times to me actually, and I won all three times :P (Twitch, Shaco, Fiddle)

Killing LARGE AMOUNTS OF MINIONS:
I don't mean go kill one wave of 6 minions, I mean when you just killed 3 people of the other team, your whole team is pushing mid, and there are about 20 caster minions pushing your inhib turret...just pop that sucker right on top of them and take out your enemies' chances at teleporting in and backdooring. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not waste your **** ult on 6 minions.

Team Fights:
This is an obvious time to use your ult but definitely not my favorite. It's very hard to nail this long a$$ charge up attack on a team fight unless they are all slowed or not paying attention for sh*t. Otherwise, it's better to just already be in the team fight spamming spears and your E...with a few stuns here and there on the over-extenders. If you do choose to do this though, wait for the right time, you want that team to be bunched up, slowed and staying in one spot so basically...about 5 seconds into the team fight is when you want your circle to show up...this is why it's hard, if you are communicating with your team...then let someone initiate and let the team know you're gonna pop wherever the initiator hits. That way they can keep the fight as close to that spot as they can...otherwise your ult can pop in behind the fight (towards your base) or in front (towards the enemy base) which quite frankly...would suck a lot for you.

Ganking:
If there is someone alone in a lane and they are pushed beyond they own turret quite a way, cast your ult behind them (towards their own base) and then run up, stun, and E them...this is obvious, however another great method is to actually cast the ult right on top of them, when the circle appears, exhaust them, then kill them. Once the new patch comes out, this method of ganking is going to become extremely powerful so you might as well get used to it now!!! :P

I'll update this as time goes on and I play more with Pantheon more...

My in-game name is dorkbrains...i just got tired of waiting for Riot to change my password as i cannot sign into the forums with my original account. Enjoy.

d0rkbrains

02-07-2010

i changed a few things to the guide including:

runes
items
strategies
removed my rant about boots

VasudeVa

02-07-2010

You can cast exhaust once the huge circle of obviousness appears.

d0rkbrains

02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by VasudeVa View Post
You can cast exhaust once the huge circle of obviousness appears.
oh wow, this is something i was not aware of, ill have to play with it in game and perhaps add it into the guide. thank you for the information.

VasudeVa

02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0rkbrains View Post
oh wow, this is something i was not aware of, ill have to play with it in game and perhaps add it into the guide. thank you for the information.
Yep.

1. Cast the ult.
2. Press F(or whatever hotkey Exhaust was in)
3. Wait for the circle.
4. Once the circle appears, you'll see that the exhaust spell circle is in there somewhere.
5. Cast it on one guy.
6. Yay, kill.

Alexirius

02-08-2010

This build requires too much money and also a good team in order to do it. Besides, why didnt u give him some health in the early game. He's a fcking low health hero, just like Shaco and could be banged quite quick by nuke ones .

Dog4Life

02-08-2010

its better coz u can:
cast ult
wait for ring to show up use exhaust and flash where there is 2-3 of them
finish em with heartseeker

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0rkbrains View Post
You can also flash towards your enemy once the circle appears.

Shhh.

d0rkbrains

02-08-2010

thanks for all the tips for his ult guys! i'll definitely be trying it all today after class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexirius View Post
This build requires too much money and also a good team in order to do it. Besides, why didnt u give him some health in the early game. He's a fcking low health hero, just like Shaco and could be banged quite quick by nuke ones .
um i guess i didn't attack this in my guide, i don't give him the hp early because quite frankly, I NEVER NEED IT. i play smart, i attack people i know i can kill (especially important with early ganks) and i use flash/exhaust intelligently if im getting ganked. my worst game as pantheon was one where i went 9-11-8 and three deaths were late game team fights where i killed or brought down the enemies HP to < 25% and 2 were i died by a turret because i wasn't built to take them out yet. the others were just me not having everything i needed to get away after backdooring.

i typically never die early game and in my opinion it's sooooo incredibly hard to die as any champion early game that it should never become a problem, however i did mention that i may get the HP quints, instead of the armor pen quints just to add some extra HP, other than that, i keep the HP where it's at.

now, if you are dying for HP, and i can throw this into the guide, get a phage instead of the brutalizer, i just like the extra cooldown time and it's a great addition to your damage early game.

Skyllus

02-08-2010

Not bad Finally someone who gets that Attack Damage > Speed for Pantheon. Unless you're backdooring, there really is no reason to get attack speed, since you should be doing 90% of the damage with your Ult+Stun+Heartseeker+Spear combo, none of which benefit from attack speed.

Only thing I'd recommend trying is instead of waiting for BF Swords, get 3 Long Swords as soon as possible. You'll end up upgrading them eventually anyways, and you can use the instant damage boost for the mid-game when Pantheon is at his best.

Options for Upgrading Them:

2 Long Swords > Brutalizer
1 Long Sword > Sword of the Occult
1 Long Sword > Black Cleaver
1 Long Sword > Tiamat (good for farming since you wont have attack speed)
1 Long Sword > Phage

Of course, if you go back and you have 1850, by all means upgrade. Also if you are playing against a really defensive/armor oriented team it may be best to hold out for the premium items. But if there is a chance for you to gank and get kills at level 6, I will always teleport back, buy Long Swords, ult in, clean up 2 kills on either top or bottom, then head to mid for a possible gank. I can go up 3/0 or 4/0 this way more often than not.