New Player Question: Are Lesser Runes pointless?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dawndus

02-08-2010

Level 7 summoner, recently started looking into runes. I know which ones to get, but I feel like getting Lesser Runes are dumb, considering I'll be 10 soon and can just pick up Tier 2. Should I be holding off on lesser runes?

Thanks so much!

Azing

02-08-2010

Buy them. Really lesser runes are so cheap and give only a small chunk less of the stats. I think lesser runes serve as a nice boost for little cost to points. They work well to fit in until you can get Tier 3 runes. Until then I just suggest getting tier 1 to fill in the gaps and then as you get more IP you can then buy tier 3 runes to replace tier 1. Don't bother with tier 2. They cost a decent amount compared to tier 1 and aren't worth it.

TaigaStance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-08-2010

A few lesser runes should help you a bit. Quintessance I would recommend at lvl 10 just because it gives a higher bonus.
I personally have like 3 lesser runes and I'm saving IP for level 20 to mass buy. Hopefully a noticeable difference.

Klazzix

02-08-2010

Hiya, buy the lesser runes. Once you get to 20, you would have enough points for higher tier 3 runes and that's what you should get. Tier 2 will be a waste.

Although, if you plan to have 2 separate/different runebooks, what I did before was have 2 Tier 2 pages (it was nice), but then I just found myself wanting to upgrade them to Tier 3. So yeah. Sooner or later, you'd want the strongest runes.

Jothki

02-09-2010

Yeah, lesser runes are dirt cheap. Get them.

If you want to have some fun with them, buy massive quantities of the cheapest possible runes and combine them up. You need to be 10 or 20 to buy higher tiers of runes, but if you combine to them, you can start using them immediately. Hang onto the inevitable flood of useless tier 2 runes, and combine those to get tier 3s, which you can then pair off if they continue to suck.

Poki3 tem

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Emissary of the League

02-09-2010

I wouldn't bother. The R1 runes are cheep, but they still cost something. You'll want a T3 book eventually anyway, so why waste money on T1? Level 20 is not that hard to get, and by the time you should have an idea of what champions you like to play, and what runes might be useful.