[Guide] Singed, The Mad Chemist (Under Construction)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akudemi

02-05-2010

Table of Contents:

I: Introduction
II: Abilities
III: Mastery Build
IV: Rune Build
V: Summoner Spells
VI: Item Build
VII: Ability Progression
VIII: Tips and Strategy
IX: Conclusion

I:
Introduction:

Singed, "The" Mad Chemist (We are adding the word "The" to emphasize that he is truly the mad chemist as most sensible chemists would not hurl someone over their shoulder into noxious gas left behind them.) is not the most common character you would see in a 5v5 match. His attributes indicate that he is "The Average Joe" of Champions (see below):

*(Singed Attributes)

However, if you do see him in your match, there is going to be a 50/50 chance he is going to be either Legendary or a Feeder. This guide is an aggregation of several strategies regarding Singed for new players and veterans alike.

II: Abilities:

Singed has several great abilities, allowing him to either be a great Solo Champion, or push in the lanes with a teammate (Opposition Depending).

- Empowered Bulwark [Passive]:
"Increases Singed's health by 0.25 for each Mana Point he has."

Let's do some simple arithmetic to break down this ability:
4 Mana Points = 1 Health Point

Moving on.

- Poison Trail [Toggle] (Q):
"Leaves a trail of poison behind Singed, dealing damage to enemies caught in the path."

Poison Trail is a very functional ability in that it can be used for many different situations in-game. He can use this ability to farm Minions, to ward off pursuing Champions, or to finish off fleeing Champions. It has a relatively low Mana Cost (13 Per Second) and does quite a bit of damage if your enemy continues to stand in the trail.

Notes:
- Toggle this ability if you are not using it to damage an enemy; do not waste your Mana.
- Do not forget to toggle this on if you are going to Fling someone or are in a team-fight as every bit of damage is crucial.
- When pursuing a fleeing Champion, try not to auto-attack them while trailing your poison. Attempt to get ahead of them and alternate between attacking and make them walk through your trail as it will maximize your damage.

- Mega Adhesive [Target] (W):
"Throws a vial of mega adhesive on the ground causing all enemies who touch it to be slowed for the duration."

Mega Adhesive is great for deterring an enemy advance, catching up to a quick enemy (Master Yi, Evelynn, Janna, etc.), or getting yourself out of the fray in one piece if you are alone.

Notes:
- If you are being pursued by multiple enemies, have Poison Trail active and throw this in front of you (not behind) to increase your chances of escaping.
- Be creative with this ability. (Gangplank's Cannon Barrage, Fiddlestick's Crowstorm, etc.)

- Fling [Target] (E):
"Flips an enemy behind Singed, dealing damage to it when it lands."

This is your initiator skill. Whether you are in a team fight, in a 1v1, or pursuing a fleeing enemy, this skill has a vast amount of utility. You can break Nunu out of his Absolute Zero, interrupt Twitch while casting Spray and Prey, or throw a helpless enemy into your awaiting teammates.

Notes:
- If a teammate is being pursued and you happen to be behind the enemy, fling them behind you to deter their pursuit.
- Be careful what direction you are facing when you use this ability, you may actually aid your enemy if you fling them closer to a turret or their base.
- Just because you will not get the killing blow, does not mean you should not wait to use this ability. Fling straggling Champions back to your teammates in a team-fight.

- Insanity Potion [Activate] (R):
"Singed drinks a potent brew of chemicals, granting him increased combat stats."

If you want to intimidate your foes, regenerate your health and mana, tank a turret, or destroy a squishy Champion, Singed's ultimate allows you to perform these tasks. At Level 3 (Max), you will gain a 65 Enchanced Damage, Attack Speed%, Ability Power, Armor, Movement Speed, and Regeneration per 5 for 25 seconds.

Notes:
- Insanity Potion does not make you immortal, but it can save your life if you are low on health and inflicted with a dot (Damage Over Time) due to the increased regeneration.
- Do not use this prematurely if you have no reason to activate it.

III: Mastery Build:

Before we jump straight into game-play, we have to cover the bases first. In order to get the most out of Singed, you are going to need survivability. Thus, we focus on the Utility Tree (see below):

*(Singed Mastery Build)

We want to focus on Singed's ability to pursue, and his ability to escape including several useful regeneration points in the Defensive Tree, as well as a little more damage from the Offensive Tree. This is not the be-all-end-all build for Singed, as you have several "Floater Points" to play around with, but it's better to be able to survive and do slightly less damage, than to be dead.

IV: Rune Build:

This section may be up for debate in a lot of different situations. But like I said, we are focusing on survivability. So leave me alone. With that out of the way, let's take a look at Singed's Statistics (see below):

*(Singed Statistics)

Singed does not gain any Magic Resistance (Spell Block) per Level, like most Champions. To make up for that, we incorporate that into our Rune Build and Mastery Build. Singed is also great at harassing Champions (Opposition Depending) but does not have a large Health Pool until later on. This is why I add my Seals and Glyphs as Health per 5 Seconds, allowing him to stay in his lane longer (and gain experience) if you play a bit more defensively when you are low.

Breakdown:
9 Greater Marks of Shielding
- (205 IP / 1,845 Total)
9 Greater Seals of Vigor
- (820 IP / 7,380 Total)
9 Greater Glyphs of Vigor
- (820 IP / 7,380 Total)
3 Greater Quintessence of Swiftness
- (2,050 IP / 6,150 Total)

Total:
22,755 Influence Points

For the complete layout, see below:

*(Singed Rune Build)

V: Summoner Spells:

If you have seen the Mastery Build above, then you know what Summoner Spells that I am going to suggest. (It's like one of those reading/paying attention tests you take in elementary school where if you read the first line of directions, it tells you not to take the test and you get to feel good about yourself). Stars for you! I digress...

- Flash [Target] (D):
"Teleports your champion to your cursor's location."

It goes without saying that if you're not Shaco, Tristana, or any character that can jump through terrain, you want this skill. For Singed, like most Champions, this skill can be used both offensively and defensively.

Notes:
- If your foe is pushing your turret just beyond its range, hover your cursor over your enemy, quickly Flash and Fling them for a very effective gank. This also works for pursuing an enemy in a lane as long as you have your cursor in the correct location.
- Do not prematurely use your Flash when situations seem dire. Attempt to get near a wall and Flash through it if you can spare a little more health.

- Ghost [Activate] (F):
"Your champion ignores unit collision and moves 32% faster for 14 seconds."

Yet another survivability tool as well as one used for pursuing. Singed's speed makes him very intimidating as long as you are not foolhardy with him.

Notes:
- It may seem futile if you are Exhausted, but use that time to throw your Mega Adhesive right in front of you and then activate Ghost. If your pursuers do not have enough DPS, then they will be helpless to stop you.
- If an enemy champion is dangerously low on health, typically they will run back to their turret and either stand there for their health to regenerate, or attempt to Teleport. If you are quick, go behind the turret through the jungle, activate your Insanity Potion, activate Ghost, (be sure you have enough Mana / Health) and trail your Poison as you sprint in to Fling them to their death with enough time to escape the turret barrage.

VI: Item Build

I am sure this will be the most controversial part of my Guide as there are many different item builds that cater better to different teams you face. My starting build is always, the same, but my endgame items fluctuate based on my opponents. I am not going to tell you when exactly you should buy your items because gameplay is not predictable. However, I will order their completion for you. If you are curious as to how the items are built, please refer to the hyperlinks provided.

- Regrowth Pendant [Start]:
Coupled with your Rune Build, you will be able to regenerate your Health much quicker than many other Champions, allowing you to stay in your lane.

- Philosopher's Stone [First]:
You won't be involved in too many teamfights at this point, and an extra 300G in the next 10 minutes may be beneficial. Plus the added regeneration adds to your staying power.

- Boots of Swiftness [Second]:
As I have said before, your Movement Speed plays a huge role as you play Singed. and the Passive 3 Movement Speed will allow you to be faster than the majority of Champions.

- Rod of Ages [Third & Fourth]:
You will slowly build these two as you play through the lanes as well as progress into mid (even late) game. Do not built them both at the same time. Start from the Catalyst the Protector (Sapphire Crystal before Ruby Crystal) side of the tree and work your way up. The Rod of Ages not only increases your Health massively, but it increases the damage of your Poison and Fling, while providing you with better longevity.

* Note: At this point you will need to branch out defensively based on your opponents' main form of damage. As some Champions have more than one build (Physical or Magical) you will need to check what your opposition's Item Builds are. However, if one of your foes is particularly fed and carrying the team, build your items to better negate their damage.

Physical Damage Based:

- Frozen Heart [Fifth]:
Not only does this item give you an extra 500 Mana (125 Health if you were paying attention to Singed's Passive) it gives you a large amount of Armor and an attack speed reduction. For example, if Master Yi is dominating your team, this item will greatly reduce his performance.

- Guardian Angel* [Sixth]:
Similar to Frozen Heart, this item has a large amount of Armor including a Revive to help you push your enemies and perhaps cause them to over-commit attempting to kill you - allowing your team to focus them down amidst the fray.

* Note: This item does tend to have a glitch and will not actually revive you after 5 Minutes, making it very superfluous to obtain. Consider picking up Thornmail or Warden's Mail until the issue is resolved.

Magical Damage Based:

- Abyssal Scepter [Fifth]:
This item provides both defensive and offensive statistics, allowing you to resist more burst damage from foes like Ryze and Veigar, and increase your damage output with the increased Ability Power.

- Force of Nature [Sixth]:
If your opponents are predominantly Magical Damage, this last piece will make you a key initiator on your team, as well as give you a large amount of health regeneration. In addition to your 40 Health per 5 Seconds, you will receive an addition 0.35% of your Champion's Health every second. For example, if you have 3,500 Health, you will regenerate 12.25 Health every Second.

Feel free to mix and match the last few items based on your enemies Item Builds. If you do happen to be in a very long game, feel free to sell your Philosopher's Stone and purchase another item from from the list above, or if the opposing team is all one form of damage, Banshee's Veil and Thornmail are both viable options.

VII: Ability Progression:

- Level 1: Poison Trail (Q)*
- Level 2: Fling (E)
- Level 3: Poison Trail (Q)
- Level 4: Fling (E)
- Level 5: Poison Trail (Q)
- Level 6: Insanity Potion (R)
- Level 7: Mega Adhesive (W)**
- Level 8: Fling (E)
- Level 9: Poison Trail (Q)
- Level 10: Fling (E)
- Level 11: Insanity Potion (R)
- Level 12: Poison Trail (Q)
- Level 13: Fling (E)
- Level 14: Mega Adhesive (W)
- Level 15: Mega Adhesive (W)
- Level 16: Insanity Potion (R)
- Level 17: Mega Adhesive (W)
- Level 18: Mega Adhesive (W)

* - Poison Trail may prevent you from beginning game ganking before Minions spawn, but if you are patient and wait until Level 2, you will be able to attempt ganks. Without it, you will be useless with the first wave of creeps.
** - I do put one point in Mega Adhesive at this level because it starts becoming useful as typically Champions begin switching lanes and attempting to gank unsuspecting players.

VIII: Tips and Strategy:

This section will be fairly short. I understand most guides tell you what to do from Early - Mid - Late Game. If you have read this guide thoroughly, you should be able to pick up a few things regarding the stages of the game. As I have said before, gameplay is unpredictable and you will need to use your judgment to decide how you will play.

Typically I attempt to play Semi-Aggresively throughout the game, but many situations force me to play defensively until there is an opportunity to make a move. If you have to "Turret Hump" in Early Game, do it if it means staying alive. You might even be able to get a quick gank if you can time it right.

You are a very fast character and if you are fighting Stealth Champions such as Twitch, Evelynn, Shaco, etc. an Oracle's Elixir can both save your life, and destroy these Champions. If they are alone attempting to take you down themselves, attempt to play coy until you are situated properly to increase your chance of killing them. They may think they have the upper hand until you Fling them into your Poison Trail, dealing a massive amount of damage. It may cost 400G to purchase this item, and would be a waste if you died, but this is why we focus on survivability and utility. Use it wisely.

IX: Conclusion:

I put a great amount of effort and knowledge into making this guide, and I hope that you will be able to glean some information from it to help you play Singed, The Mad Chemist.

As a final word: If you think all you are going to get is assists, you are mistaken. You may end up getting more Assists than Killing Blows, but the game is meant to be a team effort. To help support my statement, here is a Normal Game.

If you have any suggestions, comments, or constructive criticism, please feel free to leave a comment and I will make an attempt to address your reply. Enjoy the Guide.

- Akudemi

Akudemi

02-06-2010

The Guide is complete (I think). Oh, is it possible to edit the title to [Guide] Singed, "The" Mad Chemist ?

AcryllicKey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-06-2010

hey akudemi, i played against you the other night as singed... nice guide you have here, i hope i can play him one day as good as you lol
i like singed cuz nothing is more relaxing than running around poisoning things

Brontobeuf

02-06-2010

My point on the stuff:
I don't see the use of the Philo stone in Singed.
I prefer going for the RoA earlier. I add Force of Nature in all my games just after the RoA.

Otherwise, this guide is very good.

Akudemi

02-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcryllicKey View Post
hey akudemi, i played against you the other night as singed... nice guide you have here, i hope i can play him one day as good as you lol
i like singed cuz nothing is more relaxing than running around poisoning things
I appreciate the compliment! I would agree, Singed can be very slow and methodical at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontobeuf View Post
My point on the stuff:
I don't see the use of the Philo stone in Singed.
I prefer going for the RoA earlier. I add Force of Nature in all my games just after the RoA.

Otherwise, this guide is very good.
I used to not start my build with a Philosopher's Stone, but I understand why you wouldn't want to pick it up.

However, I use it to increase my longevity in the Lane Phase. If you have to play a very defensive game where you are being Gold Starved by the other team, every bit of Gold can help. But I would agree, eventually it does become obsolete Late Game.

Thanks for the feedback.

Akudemi

02-09-2010

Bump

Dragmar

02-09-2010

I play singed alot over 120 games with him and a w/l of 80ish/40ish.

Couple things that i think,

Don't get PStone. Singed has probably the best creep farming ability in the game, so the extra gold isn't worth it, and once you build your ROA you don't really need any mana regen.

I tend to go
regrowth pendent
blasting wand
boots 1
and then the snowball AP item
boots 3
then ROA.

I know most people say that it's prolly to much ap, but if you get to build the snowball item up a little bit, it will pay huge dividends. And It seems to me that when i've played singed, one of the greatest reasons i can stay alive so well is because no one can chase me, and if the fight lasts any duration of time they have already lost alot of health from my poison and a my first fling.

another thing...
Around level 10ish people seem to stop laning hard, at this point I tend roam and creep push all the lanes, with boots 3 and good AP, singed is one of the few characters that can roam by himself. Since he is able to kill all the creeps with 1 pass. So i can do this for a little while and keep all the lanes pushed.
*Which i feel the reason singed can be so great, is his ability to get level + money on everyone.

*On a side note, i think You need cleanse/ghost as your summoner spells, kinda goes hand in hand with not getting ganked around level 10 when you can roam by yourself and build level and tons of money on everyone.

I find that it isn't uncommon to have 5 late game items built by 30-35 minutes.
those being.
boots3
roa
snowball ap item
wardens mail
magic resist item(nature something)

just a few of my thoughts. I love singed and think he is close to one of the better solo queue heroes with his ability to tank/initiate/keep creep lanes pushed/deal some decent dmg

Korath Arcolite

02-09-2010

Good guide to one of the many ways to play The Mad Chemist.
I tend to focus on Goo over Fling most games myself, although it largely depends on who I'm laning with and against. I also always take Fling first, Poison Trail second. I have seen it used well as an opening ability, but again is heavily dependent on who you're laning with and against.

Gear wise, I totally agree about Philosophers Stone - awesome item to grab with Singed, especially if you're not getting enough cash flow early. I find that Singed is easy to gear for IF you watch the other team. All of your suggests are good, someone following the guide and understanding when to take what will probably do well.

I also like to suggest Warden's Mail if you're against DPS Carries like Yi, Eve, Kat and also Sivir. They all need to chase you to kill you and Warden's Mail helps slow them down, keeps them in your trail longer and gives you time to regen a little bit more. By the time they think they have you, they're mostly dead and you've just done a 180 and thrown them into a tower for the kill.

Good guide over all, people who use it will see high survivability and good results!

Patyrn

02-09-2010

Quote:
- When pursuing a fleeing Champion, try not to auto-attack them while trailing your poison. Attempt to get ahead of them and make them walk through your trail as it will do more damage.
Actually you want to get just in front of them and then move/attack move/attack move/attack. You hit quite hard with your ult up and this will at least double your DPS.

Quote:
You won't be involved in too many teamfights at this point, and an extra 300G in the next 10 minutes may be beneficial. Plus the added regeneration adds to your staying power.
Get a catalyst first. You don't need mana regen between your ult and the mana/5 runes you should have in yellow.

Quote:
As I have said before, your Movement Speed plays a huge role as you play Singed. and the Passive 3 Movement Speed will allow you to be faster than the majority of Champions.
Treads! You're already faster than almost anyone with move quints + utility tree + your ult. Almost any team comp has enough disable to make these the best choice.

Quote:
- Rod of Ages [Third & Fourth]:
It will take you too long to buy a second RoA for it to be a good choice. You will not be tanky enough if you wait this long to get mitigation.

Also, I'd suggest getting only one rank in toss till late. Mega adhesive's potent utility is too good to not take over an extra 200 damage on fling. This skill does everything for you. It sets up your initiations. It saves team mates. It saves you.

Akudemi

02-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patyrn View Post
Actually you want to get just in front of them and then move/attack move/attack move/attack. You hit quite hard with your ult up and this will at least double your DPS.

Treads! You're already faster than almost anyone with move quints + utility tree + your ult. Almost any team comp has enough disable to make these the best choice.
sets up your initiations. It saves team mates. It saves you.
Funny enough I was going to edit my Guide and add your Attack/Trail technique in there as I have been doing it recently and it's worked well.

As for your Merc Treads. I will give them a shot along with Mega Adhesive first and see how beneficial they are and see if I can't tweak the guide a bit more.

Thanks for your input!