Jumpstart Sona

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ellings

03-04-2011

So, I've got my sights set on unlocking Sona soon - I'm craving a style that encourages people to do the work for you while you buff them. She'll be the first character I'm buying with points, and I want to get off on the right foot playing as her.

Let's dig in: is there anything special i should do with maneuvering Sona (I just know to always have someone to buddy up with, that's a given)? What item orders? Champs to look out for? Et cetera, et cetera in that vein.

Big Bang Typhoon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

Don't expect to do damage, I have a friend who plays Sona and it's very clear that he wishes he was playing an assassin, he is chronically ahead of our other champions to "poke" them and just cannot get it through his head that that isn't what the character is about.

So, get your mind right in advance that you aren't a damage dealer, you never want to be in front, you never want to chase anyone, and your goal is to support your lane partner and then boost everyone in the team fights at the end.

Ellings

03-04-2011

Yep, I know the concept of support pretty well. I always want somebody to hide behind, and I never want to overstep my boundaries. And bros before foes.

Bu Gao Xing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

03-04-2011

Well, you start by going here:
http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...-1-21-11-19367
She does require people who understand how to .. not feed.. teamfight... and knows that Sona can't hold a lane alone.

Ellings

03-04-2011

Bookmarked. 8D

xpsychedelico

03-04-2011

That's a VERY offensive guide. You probably don't want that... Sona's really squishy and many know to focus her if she's stacking AP and Mejai's.

For a support-based items I recommend something similar to this:
Mana Manipulator or Doran's Ring (get MM if you have 4-5 mana users on your team)
Boots (CDR or Merc depending on enemy team)
Chalice (works much better on her compared to Archangel's--I've tried--and gives MR)
MM --> Soul Shroud or Philosopher's Stone --> Shurelya's Reverie

After that, it depends on how you want to go and what your team needs:
Abyssal Scepter (AP boost, MR and MR reduction)
Will of the Ancients (AP boost and spell vamp, mostly for the helpful aura)
Zhonya's Hourglass (AP boost and armor + invincibility active)
Frozen Heart (CDR, mana, and armor + awesome aura against DPS heavy team)
Banshee's Veil (Health, mana and MR + block one negative spell every 30s)

You want to try and max out your CDR, the sooner you can cast your spells, the more your team will benefit from it compared to one strong heal every 3s. If you stack AP without survivability, the enemy team will quickly focus you down. You want to survive so your team can benefit from your auras and heals.

Aeoneth

03-04-2011

I've been playing Sona too lately, and although ive been negative on the wins side I can player her pretty well i think.

Items I usually go for
meki + 2 hp pots
boots
meki -> goddess tear
aegis of legions
kindle Gem
merc treads
frozen heart
Kindle gem -> either soul shroud or shurelyies reverie
goddess tear -> Archangels Staff

after that ???. usually its decided by AA staff

skills: Q->W->Q->W->Q->R->E

Early game i sit there and harrass a little bit.. but always keep my distance (q can hit from REALLY far away) and make sure i top off my ally whenever possible.
by level 8 i try to get golems buff... but WILL have to tp back to pool after killing him if noone helps

mid game i stay on the back lines. letting Aegis and my auras do their job. when we get near a possible battle i fire off q then quickly switch back to w. allows bursts of hight AP/AD wil usually maintaining highest def/magic resist. E i dont get till 7/8 because i never need it. Boots take care of my speed and at lower levels the boost isnt major anyway (at least to me)

im by no means a GREAT player but i usually am posiitive in the k/d/a board

Toogeloo

Recruiter

03-05-2011

Sona was the first champ I bought too... I really liker her and tried the aurabot thing for a bit, but have been having a blast with the Lichbane build lately.

If you plan on just chillaxing with your team doing all the heavy lifting, make sure you stay in the back as much as possible. Focus on AP, CDR, and Auras since your primary role will be to keep the party healthy and buffed.

You will probably want something like:

Archangels Staff (for mana and AP)
Ionian Boots of Lucidity (For CDR)
Will of the Ancients (for AP, and ok Aura to AP champs and yourself)
Aegis of Legion (for general team defense)
Soul Shroud (for general team buffing and good hp for you)
Rabadon's Deathcap (for AP)

Not necessarily in that order of course. I saw a Sona take a Frozen Heart before as well for self preservation and decent anti-aura ability. On that note, an Abyssal Scepter may not be bad too and is also a well suited item for Sona since it has AP on it, and if you attack, will make your damage a little better with it's lowered enemy MR.

Haen

03-05-2011

I run Sona as my main right now. She is not at all a hard champion to play, but if you play her like people tell you (and button mash her) you will run out of mana quickly and you will find that without mana, in a team fight, you are useless.

Playing Sona is all about positioning. You have to know who you're hitting with Q, who you're healing with W, get as many in range as you can for E, and know when to drop your ult to get a kill. Playing a support, you will also find out, you will never be able to pull your team from **** to a victory. You can be the best Sona player in the world, but if the rest of your team is subpar, you will lose. Some people can't handle that about support.

Now if you want some more tips on her, you are welcome to add me in game. I'll include my build order that has served me wonders and has had me rocking numerous games as her.

But heres the basics

Magic pen marks
mp/5 glyphs
cooldown glyphs
health quints

Pretty basic build for a mage. You also probably want your masteries at 9/0/21

This is how I would suggest leveling your skills, though feel free to interchange a W for a Q if you are playing with aggressive teammates who need the healing.

Q, W, Q, W, E, R. From there, level R first, then Q, then W, then E.

Summoner spells Clarity/Flash. Seriously, I use clarity the entire game on her as she just drains mana fast.

Starting items, Meki's + 2 mana pots. Make sure you use Q 3 times at fountain to get an early power chord for an easy early last hit or early harass.

From there go for boots, philosopher's stone, tear of the goddess, Kindlegem, mercury treads (can get there before kindle if you need), archangel, spirit visage, rabbandon's deathclasp,

From there build armor. Zhonya's being my first choice, but if you need more, thornmail works. And if you still have money, upgrade your philosopher's stone.

I haven't tested this build much in the newer patch with games being a little shorter. So I'm not entirely sure Philosopher's stone is still worth it. But because you probably won't be getting a lot of minion kills, something to up your gold is important. Which is why I also take greed in the utility tree.