[Guide] Pantheon - No, This isn't Sparta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ethernia

02-05-2010

This is my first attempt at writing a guide, i took the format from various other guides, hope someone finds this useful

Masteries:
8/0/22
Offense: Deadliness, Cripple, Sorcery
Utility: Good Hands, Perseverance, Awareness, Meditation, Utility Mastery, Quickness (filler), Intelligence, Presence of the master

If you dislike the cooldown route, just go 22/0/8, but if you do that, do not use the cd runes, change to the armor pen/att speed/crit dmg setup.

Runes:
9 - Greater Mark of Desolation = 17 Armor Penetration
9 - Greater Seals of Alacrity = 6.8% Attack Speed
9 - Greater Glyph of Celerity = -8.10% Cooldown @ lvl 18
3 - Greater Quintessence of Celerity = - 7.02% Cooldown @ lvl 18

Iíve also tried armor pen/att speed and crit dmg setup, both work well, but I find maximizing the cooldowns along with the mastery cd talents best.

I found Pantheon somewhat lacking in team fights without the cooldowns, sure you could mop up well (which is what you should always try to do) but with the cooldown, you really start to become a lot more useful in team fights, being able to use your abilities more often.

Build Order:
1) Vampiric Scepter
2) B.F Sword
3) The Bloodthirster
4) Berserkerís Greaves or Mercury's Treads (thanks to SheriffLobo)
5) Infinity Edge
6) Black Cleaver
7) Frozen Mallet or Trinity force

Yes, thatís right, rush that bloodthirster! The life steal on it is amazing, especially if you can get it charged up quickly and the damage goes directly onto your spear/heartseeker, itís really everything you could ever want. This item build of course costs A LOT of gold, so you have to ontop of your last hitting/ganking opportunities for maximizing your gold.

The last item I get doesnít really matter, but something defensive, like Bansheeís veil is a very nice item to pick up, not that it usually matters at that stage as the game usually ends around black cleaver or earlier.

**Disclaimer** You are extremely squishy with this item build, but you arenít a tank.. so donít tank!

Skill Order:
1. Spear Shot or Heartseeker Strike (your option)
2. Aegis of Zeonia
3. Spear Shot or Heartseeker Strike (get whatever you DID NOT take at level 1)
4. Heartseeker Strike
5. Heartseeker Strike
6. Grand Skyfall
7. Heartseeker Strike
8. Spear Shot
9. Heartseeker Strike (Max Out)
10. Spear Shot
11. Grand Skyfall
12. Spear Shot
13. Spear Shot (Max Out)
14. Aegis of Zeonia
15. Aegis of Zeonia
16. Grand Skyfall (Max Out)
17. Aegis of Zeonia
18. Aegis of Zeonia (Max Out)

** Credit to Stormshield for the skills **

I find most people underestimate how good heartseeker is for damage/farming and put too much emphasis on leveling Spear shot for harassing, level 1 spear will do you for harassing up to level 6, at which your interest turns elsewhere.

Summoner Spells:
Exhaust
Ignite/Teleport

Now there is currently a (bug?) where you can cast Exhaust/Ignite as you are dropping on someoneís head with Grand Skyfall, I donít recommend doing this, because if you rely on it and they take it away.. well you get the idea, but if you do, it pretty much guarantees a kill on anything but a tank, even then, the fight is leaning towards your side.

Either way, i recommend getting exhaust, as it is extremely helpful.

Early Game:
This setup is made for laning for a long duration as well as being able to push for an early gank if its available and you have a decent lane partner, anyone with a stun or a slow would be a good choice for you to lane with, use your spear shot to harass relentlessly, even a level 1 spear shot will have your opponents up against it, also, donít be afraid to last hit minions with spear shot, you have plenty of mana regen with this build, so put it to good use.

Generally once you hit level 6,you should have enough money for at least your B.F sword (unless itís a very slow game) and if you got lucky, your Bloodthirster. Now is the time to start looking for a Grand skyfall opportunity, be it a mass of minions or a lone opponent that has managed to push too far, if they are up against the turret, skyfall in just behind them, causing them to stay near your turret or try to run past you, hopefully with you landing on top of them, this is where you can use the exhaust/ignite *trick*, but once again, I do not recommend it.

Mid Game:
By now you should have enough gold for your boots and some of your Infinity Edge (very important item) if not all. At this stage of the game itís your job to stop those pesky solo pushers and to hang around the edges of your team fights, providing mop up, or stun/harass escapes for your team mates if things go bad, you should really never initiate a fight, if you do, then you have already started losing.

Itís also around this time that you should be trying to keep golem/lizard buff up on you as much as possible, Pantheon uses A LOT of mana and with the cooldown reduction you have from masteries and runes, you can really spam your abilities, also try to get to the dragon every time he is up, you should be able to solo the dragon from level 8 upwards pretty easily, just be aware where the enemy is so you donít get ganked.

Late Game:
Now everybody is running around in groups, hopefully because they are terrified of you, if not and they continue running around by themselves, do what you do best and stop them. During team fights, your usefulness is reduced somewhat, but due to your cooldown reduction, you get to spam your abilities.

Do not underestimate how good heartseeker is to use once the fight has been initiated, especially if the enemy is group up, you can bring them down very quickly, although you can be easily focused while using it, so be careful, for the most part, you will be throwing spears, stunning those who try to run/are being focused and keeping an eye out on the map for gank/push opportunities.

Itís very useful to drop off the back of a team fight, skyfall to a different lane and push a turret faster than your opponents can react, or pull multiples away from your team.

SheriffLobo

02-05-2010

Interesting guide. I have to say I play sufficiently different than you to warrant posting my thoughts on the subject. First of all, as you acknowledged...the build is fairly squishy. Do you find it easy to gank with the Frozen mallet/phage put off that far? I usually start off with Phage, then go mercury's (panth has 0 escape mechanisms other than the stun...but...why would you stun into a group of three champs lol)

After that...I rush infinity's edge after a zeal...I don't exactly find that attack speed has made that big of a difference imo as raw damage does. I may even replace zeal with an avarice blade or something with sufficiently more crit at that level. I was thinking of replacing infinity's edge with bloodthirster but was unsure of it's potential...Thank you for showing me that it is viable.

After that...I haven't really figured it out..I usually go get a last whisper for the armor pen and attack speed but frankly if I can afford that by the end of the game...it's usually already over.

Will try out your build. Definetely find myself wanting a shorter cd on Aegis most of the time...and heartseeker for that matter.

Quikdeth

02-05-2010

As per some articles I have been reading, Last Whisper's percent mod to ArP does not benefit Pantheon's abilities or something like that, like straight ArP does. I'm not entirely sure about this, but it's just what I've read on the forums.

This comment pertains to the above poster not the actual guide.

Ethernia

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheriffLobo View Post
Interesting guide. I have to say I play sufficiently different than you to warrant posting my thoughts on the subject. First of all, as you acknowledged...the build is fairly squishy. Do you find it easy to gank with the Frozen mallet/phage put off that far? I usually start off with Phage, then go mercury's (panth has 0 escape mechanisms other than the stun...but...why would you stun into a group of three champs lol)

After that...I rush infinity's edge after a zeal...I don't exactly find that attack speed has made that big of a difference imo as raw damage does. I may even replace zeal with an avarice blade or something with sufficiently more crit at that level. I was thinking of replacing infinity's edge with bloodthirster but was unsure of it's potential...Thank you for showing me that it is viable.

After that...I haven't really figured it out..I usually go get a last whisper for the armor pen and attack speed but frankly if I can afford that by the end of the game...it's usually already over.

Will try out your build. Definetely find myself wanting a shorter cd on Aegis most of the time...and heartseeker for that matter.
It's very easy to gank, i rely less on my actual health and more on my health steal, once you get your bloodthirster early, it really is hard to die, unless you get jumped by multiple opponents, but thats a different problem all together.

I'll have to try out mercury's treads, i've tried boots of mobility, they are ok, i just find the extra att speed on the beserkers very handy.

Raw damage is really your bread and butter, not so much attack speed, a little bit is nice, but i wouldn't recommend getting items specifically to speed up your auto attack.

I really don't try and get crit on pantheon either, as it's very easy to burst someone down to that 15% mark where all the crit you have on items becomes worthless, high damage, in my opinion is worth more then a high crit on pantheon.

Last whisper is nice, but as i tend to get black cleaver, it makes Last whisper less valuable (something to do with how % reduction and number reduction to armor is applied).

KaaaBLAMO

02-05-2010

Does Flash work while he's mid-ult, changing where the epicenter is?

Skarrn

02-05-2010

Quote:
Does Flash work while he's mid-ult, changing where the epicenter is?
No, but you can use it mid jump to land off center.

Degini

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2010

How are you affording heartseeker strike as your main skill with no real mana or regen (as far as I can see)?

Ethernia

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degini View Post
How are you affording heartseeker strike as your main skill with no real mana or regen (as far as I can see)?

It's only main in the sense that you level it ahead of everything else, you don't use it on 2 random mobs, i do use it to clear out the jungle though, mana regen comes from both the golem and your masteries, more then enough if you keep making trips to the golem.

Resilga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2010

Not going to lie, Pantheon seems really **** cool.

Does anyone think he is due for a nerf anytime soon? I know part of his popularity is his look and newness but it takes almost no brains to mop up with him.

What do you guys think?

Great guide and advice all around though.

The Body Thetan

02-05-2010

I doubt he'll get nerfed any time soon, in fact I think they'll realize how lackluster his ult is and either buff its damage or make it channel faster/lessen warning time. His Q W and E are pretty decent as it is, even if the stun is very short. Pantheon's strength and weakness is that his abilities are heavily reliant on attack damage. This means they do trash damage early game, but once you have three of four BF Swords, you become a killing machine.

I never get mana regen on Panth because every ~3 minutes you can blue pill to get mana/hp and ult back onto something.