Am I doing it right?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tholok

02-05-2010

*warning... long wall of text*

First let me introduce myself. I’m a relatively new player at lvl 21 and without dota experience. I’m 31 years old and have lots of experience with complicated tactical games but am clearly slower at the controls than most of the people playing LoL (I love to blame my age for this deficiency)...

I’ve been having mixed results as most of us probably have. The comments I received from teammates ranged from: “Shut up you ff-NooB” all the way to “Omg were you cheating?” The last one being meant as a compliment...

I mostly play Master Yi (with a 60 vs 42 w/l ratio) and have practiced with Sivir (16-16 even ratio) and a tiny bit with Rammus (3-8 ratio). I normally play Yi carefull at first, than jungle a bit around lvl 5-8 and than help gank/push as much as possible when I grow stronger. With Sivir I normally play aura/support.

Anyways what I was wondering are the following situations and your oppinions on them:

Jungling
I normally start laning with a ranged buddy informing them that I might jungle later on. I do not like jungling straight from the start since it takes too much time to actually kill anything. So I often start jungling around lvl 4-5 when my teammate is comfortable alone. This way I get more gold, the neutral buffs that are often not picked up early, less experience but than again I do get the chance to gank or help defend a tower somewhere when a teammate has died.... In other words I can play very flexible defense/farm/gank.

Later on (lvl8-12) I increase the time spent with the group, kill dragon when possible and quickly push/get buffs/farm when no group fights are expected.
Is this an okay way to approach my playstyle as master Yi?

Destroying Buildings vs Killing Champs
I notice that both with Yi and Sivir I seem to almost always destroy the most buildings of my team while my K/D ratio can vary from perfect to horrible. I often try to backdoor and often succeed even though its risky. When I do not succeed I can get away safely quite a lot of the times but when I get ganked by 2+ I do ofc die. In a lost case where I think my chances of survival are very slim I normally prefer to down the tower/inhibitor and lose my life instead of running. Is this the right choice?

“Stealing” kills/buffs
Sometimes people shout at you for “stealing” their kill, buff or even blame you for being in their lane helping to push to a tower. Since this is a team game I really really do not care whoever gets the kill or buff as long as you take into consideration how usefull that buff/kill is to a champion. IE carries should get preference for kills and Trynd should not get the mana buff. I seriously would not complain if I as Yi was killing the Lizzard, a good Tristania comes around helps kill the thing quickly and gets the buff as a result. Am I weird for thinking this way?

Helping teamfights
I’m aware that working in a team is a highly important part of playing this game right. But I do believe that staying with your team is not always the right thing to do. When my team is defending a tower 3 vs 4 and I often take the chance to teleport ---> destroy a tower. Similarly when I’m in bottom lane and a 2 vs 1 fight breaks out in mid I sometimes decide to continue farming/killing dragon because I judge the fight to be over before I’m there. Is this wrong?

Well I’m disturbed that this has been one hell of a wall of text. What I’m trying to discover is wether what I think is “common sense” is actually usefull and done by experienced players too or just me being a silly noob that needs to improve...
Any (constructive) criticism or ideas are highly welcome!
Tholok,

D2Freak

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tholok View Post
*warning... long wall of text*

First let me introduce myself. I’m a relatively new player at lvl 21 and without dota experience. I’m 31 years old and have lots of experience with complicated tactical games but am clearly slower at the controls than most of the people playing LoL (I love to blame my age for this deficiency)...

I’ve been having mixed results as most of us probably have. The comments I received from teammates ranged from: “Shut up you ff-NooB” all the way to “Omg were you cheating?” The last one being meant as a compliment...

I mostly play Master Yi (with a 60 vs 42 w/l ratio) and have practiced with Sivir (16-16 even ratio) and a tiny bit with Rammus (3-8 ratio). I normally play Yi carefull at first, than jungle a bit around lvl 5-8 and than help gank/push as much as possible when I grow stronger. With Sivir I normally play aura/support.

Anyways what I was wondering are the following situations and your oppinions on them:

Jungling

“Stealing” kills/buffs

Helping teamfights

Tholok,
31 here to (and i actually thought i was the oldest player here) and about the same problems as u have.. Sometimes i do very well in mid elo (where i guess i am) and sometimes i have the feeling i am complete noob and me and my team get raped in <25 minutes.
I can only play 2 or 3 games a day, due to my 4 month old son that needs attention to (and ofcourse his mom, also yelling for attention).

I used to play twitch untill everybody starts to say he was op. I tried sion then, but i could not get the hang of it. Cho gath was a bit boring to and then i started karthus which i totally like. Sometimes i rape face, sometimes my ass gets raped so hard i even have trouble sitting irl.

So not a pro, just enjoying the game. I will try answer your questions to the best i know. Remember, they are only my opinions!

Jungling has some advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages are 3 ppl are actually soloing. They can rise above 4 other players from the other team (assuming htey have no jungler).
One very important thing here is, that when u jungle, ur lanepartner must agree on you leaving. If you see him having trouble against 2 players, or constantly at 25% health and then towerhugging, it might not be a good idea to go in the jungle and leave him behind. If he has little trouble fending them off, np.. Just ask if its ok.

If u know ur gonna die, but you can take the tower, take the tower. If u can run, run. It's that easy.

“Stealing” kills/buffs
I normally use this rule, forst one comes to a buffed creature, he gets the buff. I've had jackasses for teammates that just happen to walk by, stand there and do nothing while i kill gollem, then just last hit it and move on like nothing happened. That was the cause of my first and only ragequit.
Anyone that shouts KS! should 99% of the time get a slap in the face. Ur a team, shut up.
Unless u stand still all time next to a 1 vs 1 is going on, and just last hit the enemy, there aint no such thing as KS.

Helping teamfights
Also depends on the situation. If they can handle it, ur better of getting a tower, pushing a lane. If u see them getting raped, stay and help. Usually u will know the lvl of teammates u have very quickly. so it's just a matter of common sense.

Furthermore, everyone will yell at you, even when u do things right. Just try not to die, and be of as much help for the team as u can be. Killing dragon, wasting towers, raping enemies is always good for the team.
Just check the minimap and health bars regulary (if that is the correct word ). If ur jungling and a tower is about to go down, help m out. Jungling makes u a flexible player that can show up anywhere on the map. Make use of the advantage.

Tholok

02-05-2010

D2Freak

Nice to see I’m not the only one over 30 nor the only daddy here... (got a 1,5 yo daughter myself).

I’m glad to see you agree with most of my ideas. As far as stealing buffs go... I’d go even further as you... “stealing” it should imo never be a problem. Doing nothing however and waiting to last hit it is ofc totally stupid! The point is that if someone helps out killing the lizzard/ogre faster and ends up “stealing” the buff... the buff is still in your team so what is the problem about you not getting it yourself?

On jungling: I do indeed always check with my teammate if they are ok with me jungling before leaving. Though I personally believe that as long as they don;t die having them towerhug and me jungling is still advantageous to the team. I gain gold/buffs rapidly in the jungle while imho Yi sucks at the early laning phase in most circumstances. But that might also be the way I tend to play him.

In general I’m just surprised to see people taking care of their personal kill/death ratio way more than about how the team is doing. Killing dragon, pushing waves, destroying buildings is all so usefull but does not translate in the all important kill-death ratio.
A tank that initiates, survives enough focus fire to let the teams dps kill 3 champs and than dies does a wonderfull job imho. These champs often do not get any recognition and sometimes even get yelled at for dying.
Same with the ppl that kill the dragon or are buying aura items. Of course spending time/gold on these things will lower their personal “stats” but it surely helps the team.

I was wondering if the things I described above get more recognition in higher elo-games or if I might be mistake and overvalue them compared to just the K/D ratios.

Would love to hear more ppl comment on these ideas...