You want teamwork? Stop instigating

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RecantedForger

03-04-2011

People need to learn to have courtesy toward one another in random team matchups. The truth is not everyone is going to be playing on the same level.

The short story is today after picking up Anivia, and only on my second game, I basically got verbally abused and threatened to the point I didn't want to stomach it(oh, but I did). I took the high road though and stuck it out, despite being taunted by team members after having explained to them my level of experience with the said character. Accusations of "feeding" flew at me and all of my requests for cooperation went unanswered. It was their way or the highway.

I admittedly lowered myself at one point when one gentleman basically told me to follow him and do exactly what he told me to do. Let me express this was not an offered form of guidance that the player was offering me, but an ultimatum, threatening to report me if I didn't do what I was told.

How am I suppose to get along with people who have zero class, just sound like they're a constructive comment away from ripping your head off, and ridicule you non-stop? Simple I didn't. But despite my refusal to back down from their verbal taunts, passively I began playing the way they called for. Was there a point to doing it? We still lost. I wasn't given any advice other than, "anything I did was wrong". I was still blamed for my earlier deaths and being the sole reason we lost the game. I sure as hell was getting any sympathy or making any friends with all the people criticizing me.

So back to the original point of this thread. I'm a 4 day old player. If you want teamwork, try supporting one another like you would on any other team. Sure you might be playing with a friend or two, but that doesn't give you the right to be the almighty ******* of the group when it comes to getting the noob in line.

I don't consider myself a bad gamer by any means. The bad manner in this game is pretty intense though(I'm just talking about teammate BM) and I think it would do a world of good for a lot of people if they'd be more helpful and less readied to point the finger of blame.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the /ignore command!

/ignore <name>
/ignore ally (your whole team)
/ignore enemy (their whole team)
/ignore all

Kudos for trying to stick to the high ground. And don't worry, unintentional feeding is not a reportable offense. If you're trying to solicit a helpful response and they keep attacking you, just /ignore em.

Breidr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

I know the feeling all too well. You Handle it better than most (including me, I admit it). Behavior like this pushed my out of normal (I'm 22 with 29 wins) and trying to get back into it now that I'm a higher level "newbie" is hard. I just came here to lend sypmpathy and keep this thread at the top in hopes that it will be read and taken to heart.

+1 my friend, wish there were more like you, then this game wouldn't be so bad.

Big Bang Typhoon

03-04-2011

I think it's the nature of the beast, at low levels no one is good enough to hard carry or win the game by themselves, but one guy who feeds hard can lose the game by themselves and it's frustrating to lose when it's completely out of your hands.

You just have to not take it personally and learn the game, I recommend for novice players that they pick a ranged hero and basically just hide out hardcore, sit at the VERY back of the lane at the edge of XP range and don't get greedy on your pokes.

9/10 players that people get mad at are players who play really greedily and really aggressively, and wind up feeding the enemy hard and it's just really frustrating to watch a newbie run waaaaay too far forward ovver and over and go 1-9-0 while you go 9-1-0 and then the Yi that got super fed just rolls your whole team.

So I guess my advice is don't take it personally and just learn.

Stillhart

03-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Hands View Post
I think it's the nature of the beast, at low levels no one is good enough to hard carry or win the game by themselves, but one guy who feeds hard can lose the game by themselves and it's frustrating to lose when it's completely out of your hands.

You just have to not take it personally and learn the game, I recommend for novice players that they pick a ranged hero and basically just hide out hardcore, sit at the VERY back of the lane at the edge of XP range and don't get greedy on your pokes.

9/10 players that people get mad at are players who play really greedily and really aggressively, and wind up feeding the enemy hard and it's just really frustrating to watch a newbie run waaaaay too far forward ovver and over and go 1-9-0 while you go 9-1-0 and then the Yi that got super fed just rolls your whole team.

So I guess my advice is don't take it personally and just learn.
Noobies gotta learn. Don't play a smurf account if it's so ****ing hard for you to keep your mouth shut. Better yet, give them this advice in game.

Big Bang Typhoon

03-04-2011

Well Stillhart, it is very true that the newbies have to learn. It could even be argued that coddling them and rewarding utter failure with a pat on the back and a kind word will not motivate them to improve. That relentless criticism out their failures will get them to think about those failures, and as a result they will improve in those areas because they don't want people to be mean to them.

I don't personally subscribe to the "rage out" school of thought but if someone is 1-9 saying "gee, be more careful" isn't really enough. NINE TIMES they have demonstrated that they do not understand how to play, am I really going to change their entire playstyle with a sentence in team chat? No, and saying something mean is cathartic and useless whereas saying something nice is just plain useless.

I don't rage out at people, but I understand why people do and I'm saying to the noobs out there "get better, and don't take it personally".

EDIT: You know it would probably be a good idea to have more than just 'normal' and 'ranked'. Because everyone is ranked wants to be a pro, they all value winning and every single one of them is doing their best. But in normal some of the people trying to get to the ranked level of play, and others are there to "just have fun" and don't intend to ever play competitively.

I think a lot of the rage comes from the people who are really doing their best getting mad because someone on their team really isn't trying their best. Which is fine all things considered; but maybe those people should have their own "super casual" league so the pro-amateur players don't get matched with guys who play once a month and honestly don't care if they win or lose.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-04-2011

Yes they need criticism, but they need constructive criticism. Very few people will improve by someone just saying 'you suck at life, quit this game and kill yourself,' which people do. While I know this is beyond what you're suggesting, the exaggeration might help show a point.

I highly disagree that saying something mean is useless. It's counter-productive. You're causing your entire team (possibly yourself excluded) to be knocked a bit out of their calm center, and they're more likely to play poorly due to being agitated; yes he's not playing well, no you don't need to tell him or the team that, they already know.

Now, if you want to give advice, do so. Maybe say 'hey, you're making mistakes, maybe play a bit more defensively until you get a grasp on how you match up against these players.' Of course you can't solve an issue with just a sentence, if you could the world would be perfect, but that doesn't mean you can create more issues just to make yourself happy.

Big Bang Typhoon

03-04-2011

Well yeah Panzer I agree, I think maybe I am using bad word choice or something, because what I'm trying to say is that raging is dumb and obviously I'm not in support of raging. I'm trying to explain WHY people rage so the victims can see that it isn't worth getting mad about it or taking it personally. The OP (RecantedForger) and Breidr both appear to be letting it get to them, and what I'm trying to express is that the other players on the team are just upset in general about the loss and are lashing out inappropriately, but that you don't need to take it personally and just use those ignore commands and focus on improving your game. :-)

RecantedForger

03-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhart View Post
I highly recommend you familiarize yourself with the /ignore command!

/ignore <name>
/ignore ally (your whole team)
/ignore enemy (their whole team)
/ignore all

Kudos for trying to stick to the high ground. And don't worry, unintentional feeding is not a reportable offense. If you're trying to solicit a helpful response and they keep attacking you, just /ignore em.
Best received post by far. It works perfectly. Let's me play in my funzone without getting nitpicked or harassed by my teammates when they feel like losing control of their tempers.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-04-2011

But if ignoring them helps them focus and improve their play, it's the right call for the team, as well as their personal comfort. There's no reason to make personal attacks at other player's expense, beyond well intended constructive criticism (which I'll let you know most of the 'criticism' out there isn't).