Is caitlyn worth gettign?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperEclipse

03-04-2011

Or should I go with a cheaper one?XD

6400 and I have like 2300 something.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

As always, "try before you buy" is my advice. That's 14x as true for 6300 champs as it is for 450 champs. If you must buy a champ without trying em first, I highly recommend limiting yourself to 1350 and under.

If you'd like a great ranged carry with long range that's cheaper (and arguably better) than Cait, I recommend grabbing the free Tristana from Facebook. Check the sticky in the Announcements forum if you don't know what I'm talking about.

SuperEclipse

03-04-2011

Kk, thanks. Hopefully she will be the next one we can try out.XD

Sloejean

03-04-2011

I do not recommend Caitlyn at all. All she's got is a decent early game and then she becomes totally useless. If you want an early game ranged champion, Urgot does her job better and scales into lategame better than her. If you must get a broad with a firearm, MIss Fortune is way better than Cait for the same price.

Stillhart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloejean View Post
I do not recommend Caitlyn at all. All she's got is a decent early game and then she becomes totally useless. If you want an early game ranged champion, Urgot does her job better and scales into lategame better than her. If you must get a broad with a firearm, MIss Fortune is way better than Cait for the same price.
I beg to differ. Caitlyn isn't totally useless, she's just a poor choice for a main AD carry. She's great as a DPS support champ. Think Malady+Cleaver+Mallet for debuff application from range and some PD's for AS to proc them all faster and move speed to keep yourself at max range.

She won't do crazy damage, but that's not her role with this build. She's there to debuff a target so the rest of the team can lay on the hurt. As a bonus she will be doing a chunk of damage with her on-hit procs and headshot. And of course, she's great at finishing runners. Caits traps are the anti-Guardian Angel too and her net lets her stay in position easier.

Sorry, I nerded out there. That build can be used on any ranged champ, it's true. But Cait has the range to make it work well and nobody expects her to carry anyhow.

EDIT - All that being said, try her before buying. I agree that MF is a great choice for a main AD carry, she's one of my favorites. I just think Cait excels in another role and she happens to be pretty fun to play IMO.

xpsychedelico

03-04-2011

Cait is not bad, and she can definitely carry. You need to take advantage of her strong early game.

I recommend:
Doran's Blade
Boots (merc usually, or berserker's greaves)
Bloodthirster
Madred's Bloodrazors
Last Whisper
Defensive item/s
Another Bloodthirster or Black Cleaver

Something along that line. Crit isn't good on her because her main damage skills, Q and R, can't crit.

Again, try before you buy. Very important.

Sloejean

03-04-2011

Huh, I guess most people just aren't buliding her right. From my experience and the looking around I've done on the forum, all I got out of Cait was that she really doesn't do much for a team. There are better champs for finishing off stragglers (Kass, Akali), and the role of debuffing seems very unintutitve given how short teamfights.

Also, wouldn't Teemo make a better champion for debuffing because he provides map coverage and Blind against autoattackers? I know his range is pretty bad but because he's naturally speedier than Cait, he should be able to move around fast. It seems anything Cait can do, Teemo can do better except having a long autoattack range.

From what I'm hearing now, Cait is only good in the right hands, and I still feel Cait is not a recommendable champ. OP is still new to the game and I don't think recommending a champion who needs proper skills to shine is a good idea.

Just my two cents. Maybe I was a bit harsh with calling her useless as no champ is completely useless, but my opinion still stands that she's not worth 6300 and should be reserved to try out for free weeks.

AkitaNeru

03-04-2011

Cait's not the strongest AD carry or support or anything, but she's not a horrible champion. If played carefully, she can still do just fine.

She doesn't play quite like the other AD champs, but a lot of people seem to think she should play like them, and don't adjust their playstyles to match her.

All that said, I do prefer having her on hand as a secondary ranged dps (if we want two), not the primary dps.

Stillhart

03-04-2011

I still think she's underpowered in general, so I agree with you that she's prolly not worth the cost right now. Certainly not when there are so many more useful champions out there.

But... man, she's fun to play! I just like her for some reason. Also, she's a very strong pusher and early-game champ and that makes her Tier 1 in the current meta.

Teemo is definitely a champ that can play with this kind of support build. I think Cait works just as well because (besides the obvious range) of her survivability from her net dash and traps. Also because she isn't counting on the enemy making mistakes (by stepping on the shrooms) to be useful. I think she's at least as effective as the AS Teemo.

Regarding the debuffing role, I agree it's unintuitive. But there are a LOT of on-hit/debuff items in the game and they all tend to have attack speed on them, which Cait LOVES. It procs her passive more often, procs all the on-hit effects more often, and really her Q and R are both kinda meh late game. Get her auto-attack buffed as much as possible or she will feel really underwhelming later.

And just so you know, most any champ is "only good in the right hands". Last time I played support Cait, I threw a Madreds Bloodrazor in because their Cho was wrecking us. Like he'd tank 3 of us all the way down center lane back to his inhib tower from our inhib...and survive. Once I got my MBR (I already had Malady and Cleaver), he just MELTED. Two aces later, they surrendered.

EDIT - Akita was there, ask him! lol

AkitaNeru

03-04-2011

I do remember that game, haha. That Cho was the least effective tank of all time, though. He did virtually no damage to anyone, and he couldn't stop us from killing his teammates, towers, and inhibs. All he did was not die.

I guess that was enough to keep them from surrendering until you started wiping him out, though, heh.