how do i counter Irelia?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lachoneus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2011

OK so i'm kind of a newb. i don't know how to counter Irelia.

Normally i play either Mundo (tankdo) or Karthus. and for the life of me i don't know how to counter her

I normally premade with a guy who plays Teemo.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Kuryaka

03-11-2011

Teemo could blind Irelia and negate healing, not sure if it heals even if it misses thugh. Irelia is an assassin, you can probably stay alive if you use your ulti and escape. Just watch for bladesurge+Equilibrium strike combo and pop Sadism just as she dashes in. You'll probably get the slow instead of the stun (stun if you have more % HP) and be able to fight. Once Irelia loses the stun from Equilibrium she cannot kill anyone much.

Tha Dynamite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2011

As those two, you really can't.
Irelia can out DPS a Mundo. She can out-heal his damage. Early on, she can even out-tank you.
Karthus is a squishy DPS caster. Against Irelia, hes paper.

Teemo might have a better chance assuming it isn't 1v1.

LoveYuRi

03-11-2011

ACtually a mundo can win against a irelia.

Cleaver takes a BIG chunk of her hp + its spammable. And with E which gaves mundo a huge boost of attack damage 70 at lvl 5 But the lower hp he is, the more damage.

I remmeber i had like 1/4 hp with mundo active E and from 100 damage my AD when to 270...

For karthus... Dont even try and counter her. Just turret hug and just use R to ks ppl.

Teemo might have a better chance but still useless against her. Yes you can blind her for 2-3 seconds but then after she can stun u back for 2-3 seconds and gain back all her hp and kill you.

Kalarepa

03-12-2011

Also, grab ignite. You probably won't kill her without it. When she tries to kill you (dash you, activate ulti and Hitten), ignite her and just attack her with anything you have. Unless she's overfarmed, it should be possible to outdamage her.

Tokinatoor

03-12-2011

Well remember most irelia's have a 60-75% CC reduction, a stun, and a nifty life stealing long range, pass through nuke that is AMAZING. All these skills make her running away from a fight really easily and Karthus, Mundo are two champs that depend on slows to stop the enemy from running away.

(R can be shot while running without stopping)

Equilibrium strike has like a 5 second cooldown with a lot of CDR and rank 5, so end game she can use it as an Opener and Retreat move all in the same fight.

I almost only use the stun when im retreating (works wonders!) and when a champion like fiddles, kat, nunu (anyone with BIG channel) starts attacking.

My irelia is usually, tri-force, merc treads, madreds razors (4%), banshees/FoN, Frozen Heart and black cleaver/starks/malady.

So I do true damage, magic damage, and physical damage. (so you better diversify your defence)

Karthus is easy to kill with irelia. R,W,R,Q,E,R,R,R Q again, E again (and karthus should be dead). Most new Irelia players don't use R well, like Urgot's Q.

If your fighting Irelia next to a bunch of your minions she might use R to heal herself by 30-50% fyi.

You cant stun her, slow her, but she doesnt have all that great burst if you build armor, MR and health.

Knock ups are great against her. Jarvan, Malph or Cho might be just what you need to kill a good Irelia.

I hated Irelia until recently now she is my insta-win champ.

Hotdogs

03-12-2011

exhaust summoner spell

Cenerae

03-12-2011

Irelia is reliant on her self healing to stay in the fight.

While Ignite isn't a hard counter to her, it does help a lot when it's time to actually kill her. She ought to drop quickly under focus too.

Istanur

03-12-2011

You cannot defeat a good Irelia the way you can defeat any other high dmg melee. CC is completely worthless. The only way you can stop Irelia is to pick another powerful 1v1 champion and hope you get more fed than her. Try Olaf, his nerfs have weakened him quite a bit but what you need is true damage because most Irelias just build tank and outdamage everyone else.

acosn

03-12-2011

Mostly comes down to either negating her heals received (GP's debuff does that, as will ignite and executioner's calling if you're good at remembering to use items to name a few) or blocking her attacks with something like dodge, blind, or raw stuns.