Jungling Before L30 - Viable? Advisable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SlugDC

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

Hey folks, looking for some advice.

First off I'll put it out there that I am summoner L20. I wanted to try my hand at jungling and figured that with Trundle in this week's rotation would be a good chance to give it a whirl. I've been playing in custom bot-only games to get the hang of it, only making the occasional foray into "live" action for fear of being a burden on my team. What I'm finding is that while I'm able to keep up with the lane'ers in level, I'm not really excelling at it, nor am I excelling at gold generation. I've read guides for hours, seeing the builds, seeing the pathing orders. I've watched the videos on "how" you are supposed to jungle. I've even tried my hand with other supposedly strong junglers (Shaco, Fiddles, etc.) with no luck.

I'm fairly certain that I'm either just under-leveled (from a summoner standpoint) or am just failing to outfit my runes properly. Given the rune layouts in 99% of these guides it seems like everyone and their grandmother is L30 with a full set of runes at their disposal. Am I just being impatient, trying to jungle before 30? Is L20 still, "Just pick an easy character and stay in your lane, n00b" territory? Is pre-30 jungling viable, and I just shouldn't be trying to start with the Golem like they do in all of the guides? With only say 20 points, which masteries are *most key* to being successful in the jungle?

I guess what I'm looking for is a bit of advice. Is pre-30 jungling even feasible, or should I just pack it in and go back to lane'ing for 10 more levels?

Sloejean

03-04-2011

Trundle, while a fantastic jungler, needs runes to clear it efficiently (Speed + Survivability). Any junglers without constant self-heal won't be able to do it without runes. Trundle may have his passive heal but it requires that creeps die. That's not gonna help much when you are taking a beating. Masteries are less of a factor, but they still help. Overall, certain champs shouldn't ever jungler unless proper runes are acquired (Udyr, Yi, etc)

For runeless jungle, Warwick, Fiddlesticks and Nunu are the only viable options IIRC. I personally love Fiddlesticks because his drain is so powerful that it lets him take down Blue easily. Downside is that he MUST start at Blue so you might get ganked before minions spawn. Most people would recommend Warwick to get your feet wet as a jungler and rightfully so. He can start just about anywhere but I've seen most of them start at the small golems without runes. Nunu's also an option. He gets his own version of Smite and that makes him a very powerful jungler.

Aydin225

03-04-2011

there are certain junglers which are viable before level 30. Nunu is by far the easiest to jungle with. You should be keeping up with the lane that has 2 people in it in terms of levels, and if you are doing that your gold generation should be fine. After that you're going to be roaming and ganking, so you will fall a little bit behind in terms of level and gold, but you can quickly make that up with another trip through the jungle.

Also when you get into live games, when you're sure its safe have the duo lane help you with dragon. Dragon gives global gold and xp to your team, so it is a huge advantage.

Basically, look at the champion's description and where it has the keywords bruiser, mage, etc. pick a champ that has the Jungler keyword. If you cannot jungle with one of them, then I would recommend getting into a custom game with a veteran and getting some in game tips.

Kikazzi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

Yi is cheap to buy and Jungleable at lvl 1. Sure, you're not going to get the results that might be considered best for a top-notch jungler, but cmon, it's level 1 and only smurfs are good then anyway.

Malphite was much more challenging at level 1....