Observer mode!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Meatpaste

03-04-2011

SO, ive been thinking, and i would really like to be able to watch my friends play their game through while i wait, so's i can group up with them when they're done. How might i do this? OBSERVER MODE! pick a friend, choose /join game as observer and off ya go
-The observer will choose a team before he/she joins (some restriction maybe on leaving and then joining the other team
-The observer will NOT be able to communicate with the enemy team, nor have access to the enemy LoS
-Finally, either team (to stop cheating and harassment) will be able to ban the observer permanently from the game.

I'd like to know if this is possible, and how hard/costly it would be to make the change.

Also, pweaz?

Ruigo Pan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

Observer mode has been in the works for awhile. Phreak has used it when he is streaming games such as the Ionia vs. Noxus Showmatch and Tournament play (Look for recordings of the recent NESL Tournament). This has been known as the Summoner Spell "Observer".

It's still sort of a work in progress, as there are some quirks with it. Like for example:

When using Observer, what I noticed is that you do count as part of the opposite team, so if the enemy team wipes out the team you're watching, you're still a valid player. The enemy will not score an ace because you still have your presence there even if you aren't fighting.

There is also no Fog of War, so you can see what's going on as well as see invisible units, but that might be due to Riot Staff client stuff.

I think it was also explained that Observer is only available on another server. I wasn't paying attention to the NESL stream after about half an hour since they took forever to get to Champion selections but they did explain some things about Observer.

SanickK

03-04-2011

Cool, now I can observe my friends and be on vent at the same time and give them warning and watch enemy movement from what I can see!

Ruigo Pan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanickK View Post
Cool, now I can observe my friends and be on vent at the same time and give them warning and watch enemy movement from what I can see!
This is exactly one of the reasons why you wouldn't release Observer to the public: because of Ghosting.

Now, what I can tell you, is that they'll eventually release an Observer mode, but it will definitely act differently than how it is now.

Kirby8MyDog

03-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpaste View Post
-The observer will choose a team before he/she joins (some restriction maybe on leaving and then joining the other team
I don't like this part... I think if they click a "join as observer" then they should get put on the team of their friend, because as a player, I am ALWAYS talking to my friends on skype. So if I can pick the team I join, perhaps I'll join the opposite team and tell my friends when they're going to get ganked? It would be like maphacking in DotA.

TL;DR: Force onto friends team so you can't cheat.

Deadelven

03-08-2011

agreed, mabye it could scan your friends list and force you onto the team your friend is in, also have a total communications ban so you cannot speak or receive chat from either team, helps stop cheating so you dont know what their planning.

jaMx

03-09-2011

add referees while we're at it like wc3 so that in friendly games you are able to talk to the players

Valcx

03-09-2011

Agreed i like streaming game and i would appreciate that a lot