A time for war and a time for shopping?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Doktor42

03-03-2011

Hey, I tried searching the forums a bit (Including the stickies), and for some reason it said I was unauthorized to use the actual search function, so I apologize if I am asking a redundant question.

Basically, I plan on getting started in LoL soon, I've been playing a few practice games, messing around, reading on Leaguecraft and trying to memorize stuff so I can make my transition into actual games as painless as possible, but one thing I have been unable to find, is a generally good time to leave the lane to go shopping, or to go into another person's lane to help in a gank/going into the jungle to get a buff/help a teammate get a buff.

I plan on playing a laner, and I know there isn't a perfect time to go and do these things, but I'm just wondering if there are any general guidelines.

Right now, I'm guessing a good time to shop/gank/hunt would be after killing the enemy heroes in your lane before you have the power to push the tower, or after you have destroyed one of their towers. Is this a generally good idea?

I apologize for the possibly un-organized nature of this question, I tend to ramble, thank you in advance for any help offered.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktor42 View Post
Right now, I'm guessing a good time to shop/gank/hunt would be after killing the enemy heroes in your lane before you have the power to push the tower, or after you have destroyed one of their towers. Is this a generally good idea?

This is genereally corect.

You must go back when it serves a purpose. Meaning you either

1) are completely outplayed and at very low health. You go to heal so you don't die.

2) killed 1 of the 2 enemies but the other is still defending. You have gold now. It's a good time to go grab some gear.

3) they go back and you push a tower. Pushing a tower imidiately "breaks" a lane. It's not safe to push so deep early game so usually you leave some guy to soak the XP/defend and the other goes ganking.

4) someone calls for help. As soon as you have your main spells up (lvl 3-4) you're ready to gank. If a lane absolutely needs a gank and your partner is OK with defending, you should go help. Going for a direct gank or going to shop and then gank is up to you.

Try to avoid being idle. As a new player this is one of the most common mistakes you'll see. People getting stuck in the laning phase, not doing anything, just farming gold/xp, etc. Good players are very agressive. And by agressive I don't mean going head straight in. Backing and fleeing is also needed. An agressive playstyle means they won't just sit around farming. You'll see a lot of grouping up, putting wards, ganking, switching, etc. Don't be afraid to leave the lane. Even if there's no one to defend it, 5 people mid push a lot faster then the 2 side guys. If they don't come to stop you and push instead, you can just go straight for the nexus. If they're smart enough to come, you're still going to win back the time you lost when you left the lane, because now you're pushing and they need time to come and stop you. They will also need time to regroup. If they don't regroup and just randomly engage you, you'll probably kill them (as you're already in a 5 man formation).

So don't be afraid to elave a lane to force a push somewhere else.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-03-2011

Search is disabled for everyone, as it was causing forum instability (they made some changes, search was no longer compatible).

If you're having trouble finding time, the summoner spell Teleport will help you get back to your lane quickly.

Otherwise, try to make sure your lane partner is okay holding until you get back. Try to get basic boots by your second shopping trip, as this will help you move between lanes, or return to your lane a lot more quickly, as well as improving your laning presence.

Aww, SP had a better post on its way.

Crazyflames

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

Or 5, you have teleport as a spell like panzer said, teleport is generaly a good skill, and you can teleport to wards so think about puting them into spots where you might want to port (a bush behind them setting up a gank?)

Great post proxy.

aviraaaa

03-03-2011

Indeed, they've covered all of it. :P

I just wanted to say that Riot disabled the search function at the beginning of season one because the website couldn't handle the traffic.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-04-2011

It wasn't as much the traffic, as it was they changed the way the forums were stored. The old search function broke things when looking through the new building.

Bu Gao Xing

Master Recruiter

03-04-2011

if you have google chrome and visit the LoL website alot.. when you search for topics say:
"lane awarness" or "builds for Alistar".. it will show the forum pages (could do it on other browsers.. but google chrome > Firefox and IE together)