Did I do it right or screw up?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GreyHorus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

So last night during a game, I was playing Kennen in top lane with a Taric, against Katarina and someone else I forget. After the 15 minute mark or so, I was alone with Katarina and the rest of both our teams were mid fighting and trying to push for towers until about 20 minutes or so. I ended up staying top and farming. I wanted to go down mid and help push but I was afraid Kat would end up taking the tower (I didn't have Teleport either or I probably would have gone). So I felt kinda useless for those 5 minutes or so where there was a lot of team fighting in mid but I was stuck top. I also felt a little behind on gold since I was missing out on kills/assists.

So, what should I have done? Did I do okay staying top and farming gold/keeping Kat from pushing and getting the tower, or should I have gone mid? I'm not sure if I could have made it back in time to drive Kat off if she pushed to the tower, especially not if I died during a team fight or anything. Nobody on my team said anything, so I wasn't flamed for not helping or something, but it was bugging me at the time and since then and I'm not entirely sure what I should have done.

SomniumProxy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

I think you should have gone mid. kat is not a great pusher as all of her abilities are assassination based, so even if she takes the tower there are few chances of the entire lane going down (second tower will most sertainly be fine). In the meantime you can turn an entire team fight around since kennen has a lot of AoE and stuns. a single turret is nowhere near even potentially killing 4 people and pushing mid :P

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-03-2011

Preferably someone who isn't as dominant in team fights would relieve you (someone who could really use the farm, or has a global port to get into the team fight mid), but you don't want to let someone solo push a lane without opposition.

If you don't want to leave the lane, but want to get involved in ganking, team fights, pushing, dragon, or neutral buffs, ask someone on your team to hold the lane for a bit, or maybe even come gank her.

(You did well, but could have done better.) >.>

If you're going to leave top, it's likely they'll just turtle 4v5 under their turret while Kat pushes top. While she isn't the best pusher, the recent changes made pushing easier for non carries (or those with lichbane), and 1v0 is going to push a lot faster than 5v4.

Burbinator

03-03-2011

IMO kennen is so useful in teamfights thanks to his ult, winning teamfights 5v4 is more important than keeping kat from farming. I mean, a fed kat is really dangerous, but your team will benefit more from winning the teamfight + taking dragon + pushing.

But not a terrible idea to stay 1v1 against kat because kennen should be able to kill kat 1v1, or at least outfarm her. You've got stronger harass and stuns, which completey destroys her because she cant ultimate.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-03-2011

Well, you're getting to the point where we can't just give you a flat out yes or no, because it really depends on the current situation. We don't know what the team compositions were, if either of the towers mid were destroyed or low, which team was more farmed, etc.

Aydin225

03-03-2011

you should never leave your lane if the minions are pushed up close to your turret without someone to replace you. If you need to duck into mid, push the creep waves back right up to the opponent's tower. This will give you some time to dart down to mid, do your thing, and dart back up. If you don't have alot of mobility, you probably made the right decision. if you had, say, ghost, boots of swiftness, teleport, anything like that to help you return to your lane really fast, you could certainly dart down to mid and not be in danger of losing your tower. Especially early in the game its much harder to kill a turret quickly, and it will likely take a few minion waves for the champion to solo your tower, depending on how much health it has

IMO, a turret death is more costly than the benefit of an extra kill in a team fight. Remember that kills don't win the game, knocking out the nexus does, which can't happen if the turrets are up.

Crow Squid

03-03-2011

You were fine but Taric would have been a better choice for that lane depending on team comp. Basically your team should be able to do their thing without you. Also it would have cut down on the exp your team would have gotten in mid. To be honest four people pushing one lane so early in the game is not the smartest thing to do unless you are playing ARAM.

Sloejean

03-03-2011

With the recent changes to minions, it isn't actually a bad idea to stay in a lane if there is an enemy champion threatening to push the lane constantly. Minions can now take down towers so fast that there is less emphasis on teamfights but more on defending and pushing.

If both sides are in one lane just circling around and shouting "Come at me bro" and all that good stuff, don't bother to leave your lane unless your team asks you to join so that they can start some **** up. Other than that, just keep farming away because certain champs, like Kennen, need to roll in some serious dough to be useful late game.

That is not to say that you should be completely passive. If your tower is not in immediate danger, feel free to roam around and gank people. Usually losing the first line of towers is not so bad. Most people won't push far enough into second tower.