Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Are magic pen quints worth it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Patyrn

02-04-2010

According to my math, 3 quints would increase damage dealt by 8.1 on a 300 damage spell? So any spell with better than ~.5 AP ratio 3 AP quints is just flat out better. Is my math right? Am I missing something? You'd have to be hitting really hard already for them to be better.

sdjaks

02-04-2010

Their effect early game is also something that needs to be examined. Taking someone from base ~30 something MR to 20 is pretty huge for early caster damage and or general harassment.

Patyrn

02-04-2010

Quote:
Their effect early game is also something that needs to be examined. Taking someone from base ~30 something MR to 20 is pretty huge for early caster damage and or general harassment.

hmm. Doesn't the first 10 MR add the same effective HP as the next 10 MR?

PhoenixBomb

Recruiter

02-04-2010

Resists don't scale linearly, so your math only applies to certain resistances. And as sdjaks said, lower values make a bigger difference.

Klazzix

02-04-2010

Yes if you're an offensive type of player.

Eberzelius

Recruiter

02-04-2010

You can get a total of 72 MP, with Haunting Guise, Abyssal, Rylai's and runes (without the secondary ones). Lowering below 0 will result a huge difference in damage dealth. Never buy the Void Staff if you take this build: the 40% applies after the MP reducts, so it's totally worthless if you negate below 0.

h3w0

02-04-2010

Your math on AP quints vs MPEN quints is situational; MPEN scales to their resist. It's my personal opinion MPENs are better, but another deciding factor is your intended champions AP ratios. If you are playing somebody with very generous ratios, it might be worth the AP quints, but I'd still tend to favor MPEN for its viability throughout the game.

You also have to realize that MPEN also will give you more benefits the more AP items you get on your champion. MPEN is a multiplier, not a base bonus damage.

Eberzelius

Recruiter

02-04-2010

If you get Haunting Guise and Sorcerer's, your total MP will be of 48, which is probably more than enough. Go for MR reduct if you want to negate, elsewhere more MP is useless.

wildfire393

02-05-2010

Quote:
Eberzelius:
You can get a total of 72 MP, with Haunting Guise, Abyssal, Rylai's and runes (without the secondary ones). Lowering below 0 will result a huge difference in damage dealth. Never buy the Void Staff if you take this build: the 40% applies after the MP reducts, so it's totally worthless if you negate below 0.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, and also wrong.

Let's see here. Rylai's does not do any sort of MPen.

Abyssal applies Magic Resist Reduction (it is the only item that does this, though there are other abilities that do as well). This is applied before % Penetration and is the only thing that can bring it to the negative.

Magic Penetration (as granted by runes, Guise, and Sorc boots) is applied AFTER % Penetration. In addition, it can never bring MR to the negative.

h3w0

02-05-2010

I always felt the whole point of MPEN runes was so you could skip guise and just roll with sorc boots/runes and get more useful items quicker. It kind of feels redundant stacking up that much MPEN, especially since it gets wasted past 0.