[Guide]Sona

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ParadoxRequiem

03-03-2011

Greetings everyone, I am ParadoxRequiem. I tinkered around with Sona alot as she is one of my favourite characters, besides Mundo. For awhile I did the typical AP build for her with different item variatins to see what worked and what didn't. Her soloing capabilties are absolutely remarkable imo. Then I decided to do a tank-like build to up her survivablity in the team fights with less than satisfactory results. So after awhile I wanted to give up on Sona, she wasn't the best support, nor the best healer, damage etc. character, but then I thought "She already has aura's to support the group, why not add more aura items to her build." And thus this guide was born.
-------------------------------------
This build is intended to MAX out her support for EVERY teamate. There are items that will benefit every single character and their roles that they play.

Abilities:
Power Cord (passive)
"After casting 3 spells, Sona's next attack deals 24 + 12 x lvl bonus magic damage. Additionally, Sona's Auras persist for 3 seconds after deactivating and set off a 2 second global cooldown.”

Power chord allows for an extra damage of your next auto attack. Very useful when used in conjuction with hymn of valor to last hit two minions and using Power Chord to finish off a third. Also gives and extra UMPH when getting a kill on a champion.

Hymn of Valor (Q)
Activation: Sona fires bolts of sound, dealing 70/120/170/220/270 (+0.6) magic damage to the nearest two enemies (prioritizes champions).
Persistent Aura: Sona plays the Hymn of Valor, increasing nearby allied champions Damage and Ability Power by 8/11/14/17/20.

This is the bread and butter ability for damaging other champions or when farming minions. Use it to last hit minions. If an enemy champion is within range it will target them. I do not believe that if there is one enemy champion that they'll take 'double' damage. I believe that they'll take damage from just one. (Please correct me if I am wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Aria of Perseverance (W)
Activation: Sona sends out healing melodies, healing Sona and the most wounded nearby allied champion by 40/65/90/115/140 (+0.5).
“Persistent Aura: Sona plays the Aria of Perseverance, increasing nearby allied champions Armor and Magic Resist by 8/11/14/17/20.

Aria is your healing ability. Please remember that you do NOT choose of whom it is to heal, though you might think that is a pain in the arse but it takes out the guess work of who to heal in team fights and does the work for you. Also it will heal you as well. If you are the only champion within range you don't get two heals^^ I wish.. ( OBVIOUS HINT to the programmers for the next patch !! lol)

Song of Celerity (E)
Activation: Sona energizes nearby allies, granting them 8/11/13/17/20% Movement Speed for 1.5 seconds.
Persistent Aura: Sona plays the Song of Celerity, granting nearby allied champions 8/11/14/17/20 bonus.

This is used to run faster. I only use the 'burst' of speed granted after intial activation. Meaning that I only will activate for the burst, I don't use it for the aura, but that's just my preference or playstyle. Play how you wish to play.

Crescendo (R)
Sona plays her ultimate chord, forcing enemy champions in a line in front of her to dance, taking 150/250/350 (+0.7) magic damage over 1.5 seconds.

Crescendo is alot of fun. When I am @ my tower defending I will press ENTER and type in /d... then when an enemy champion is within range I will blast them with the ulti so they dance and then I quickly press enter. So it becomes a dance off with an enemy champion. Got many LOL's for this trick XD. Mainly it is used for fleeing, or for intiating a fight. Think about it.. you walk up to the group of enemies and blast them making them dance as your allies then unleash their abilties, basically crowd control against champions.

-----------------
Well as far as skill set is concerned and how to level them up.. this is what I do:
First I will do Valour, Aria, Celerity. (this way you are able to adapt to any situation right away. This is probably the most important steps to take as far leveling)
Then I do Valour, Aria, Crescendo. Level up those three skills first with Crescendo taking priority and Celerity the very last skill to max out.

Again this is just my play style but the taking up: Valour, Aria, Celerity at the beginning are the most important steps for leveling up her abilities.
------------------

Now this is where my guide will take a VERY BIG detour sign off the highway of AP build and into the dirt road of SUPPORT. I will explain WHY after I give you my runes/masteries/spells list.

Well as far as my runes go I use tanking runes (ie health and health regen)
Quintescences: Health Regen (Scales/level)
Marks: Maximum Health (static- meaning you get the ones that add straight hp)
Seals: Health Regen (Scales/level)
Glyphs:Half of them Maximum Health (scales/level) Other Half Ability Power(scales/Level)

Masteries I do (0/21/9)
DEFENSE TREE
Resistance:3
Hardiness:3
Strength of Spirit:3
Evasion:4
Harden Skin:3
Veterans Scars:4
Tenacity:1

Utility
Good Hands:1
Preserverance:3
Awareness:1
Expanded Mind:4
--------------
Okay you guys with me thus far? You probably don't understand but this is to maximize out her survivability as such you will be one of the first ones targeted and harrassed throughout the entire game. The runes and Masteries ARE VERY IMPORTANT for this build. If you change them around then it defeats the purpose of this guide. If your going to use this guide then DON"T change them around till you get a grasp on this new style of play for Sona.
------------------
Now for the Items to make this guide TRULY SHINE and bring out her maximum support capabilities.

ITEMS:
1.Mana Manipulator (build it into soul Shroud after building item 3)
2.Boots (I go for swiftness, but the choice is left up to you.)
3.Starks Fervor
4.Will of the Ancients
5. Shurelya's Reverie
6.Aegis of the Legion
7.Soul Shard
8.Manamune (for the REALLY long games, should give you an extra UMPH that your character might need.)

I'm not going to go into details on the exact details of every item.
But what I will explain is this, early in the game you'll need mana and so will your partner. Every item listed will benefit EVERY ROLE of the team fights. The beginning of the game your laning partner is benefited with physical life leach.. if your laned with an AP character feel free to switch Will of Ancients with the Starks Fervor. ALL of your allies will regen life.. get life back for the auto attacks and for using abilites.. and they'll benefit from the speed upgrade of Reverie to chase down those in the mid game and it does stack with your own aura.

The reason I though of this is there came times when by herself she didn't have enough attack damage to repel off enemies, and in late game she could heal.. true, but with your items already doing most of the healing it'll be just that much more impressive heal with your ability complimenting it. Well in short.. Sona didn't impress me too much with AP build as she wasn't great at healing nor dealing damage Nor giving small benefits for supporting with a SLIGHT increase in speed and Damage output. With my build. EVERY role is supported, If targeted your like an off tank so you can take the hits.. you hit decently with ability but you can physical damage quickly.

All Credits go to Paradox Requiem for this guide.. Seeing as how this is the least played style for Sona and I've NEVER seen anyone play her like the way I do. Trust me.. when you are in team battles and your mages and weaker characters have impressive life leach.. they take on qualities of other roles as well.. Veigar suddenly has impressive life leach for the spellvamp.. he can chase down the quicker character such as .. eve or maybe even yi. He regenerates health like a tank, hits as quickly as a ranged physical... Yeah I seen it in my last game. Veigar took up qualities or parts of other characters. Think of say.. Yi, Warwick,ashe, wrapped up in one character. Runs as fast as yi.. leaches like warwick, hits as quickly as ashe wrapped up into one character.

So PLEASE try out this guide and let me know of what you think or your results.. whether good or bad that you had.

PS MOST IMPORTANT THING is.. make sure you have GOOD teamates..otherwise this build will probably leave you in a worst position than you already are.

CtZer0Unleashed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

TLDR version:

Hey dawg, I heard you like auras, so I put some auras with your auras so you can aura your team more.

Sophyne

03-03-2011

This isn't a new style of play for Sona at all... XD