[Suggestion] Ping limit

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DogofWar1

03-03-2011

Riot,

I would like to suggest that there be a limit to how many pings a player may make in a short period of time.

I can't tell you how many times someone will ping a tower or a spot on the map a half dozen times. Two times was enough thank you. After the third time, it is just extremely annoying.

I think a good solution would be to create a cap on the number of pings one can make over short periods. Say, no more than 3 pings over 10 seconds (and must wait a full 10 seconds before pinging again).

I honestly feel like this wouldn't damage strategy, since every concept that might need to be explained by pings can be explained in 3 pings or less. Any more is simply annoying and unnecessary. Unfortunately, there are players who will ping 10 times for some reason, even after everyone has moved to the pinged area.

It's a minor change, but one that would be really nice when dealing with those players who don't understand that two/three pings is enough.

Daniellynet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

Ok...
So let's see.

I want to ping twice on a tower, accidentally ping 3 times.I now have to wait 10 seconds.
SUDDENDLY, A TEAMFIGHT APPEARS! I, as a tank want to mark the one I will taunt. Oh wait.. I can't do that now.

What I want is an ignoreping "DogofWar1"* command. Since ignoring damages teamwork, same with pings, but less.
Or making us able to set the sound for pings manually.

*Name taken to explain easier

DogofWar1

03-03-2011

The suggestion is just a guideline, it could be a 5 second cooldown for pings instead of ten, or a 4 ping limit instead of three, among other things. The main problem is that for every time I see someone use a ping for a legitimate reason I see it abused and hit a dozen times. An ignore command would be nice, but that would create new problems ("why didn't you listen to my pings?" "Because I'm ignoring them because you ping a dozen times for stupid things." "Well, you're a noob and *insert asinine comment here*")

Or perhaps a better solution is to make only the first three pings in a short period actually make the sound, with there being a cooldown between the sound occurring. That way, you could have your pings and tag an enemy too.

TrRex

03-03-2011

ya, any time they over ping... i act like they need to ping more and go the other way. I hate people that over ping. I can understand showing what way people are going but those types of pings are not the problem. pings in the same spot are what need blocked. I have seen guys that rush ahead of the group and then ping like mad when they get ganked. Its not like we don't see it....

Aurx

03-03-2011

I'm think maybe a hybrid of the suggestions there. Three pings in five seconds general limit in pings, and a full second delay between ping sounds.

That gives plenty of pings for general use, even in tough, competitive situations, but severely limits ping spamming and lowers annoyance.

Also, if there was a feature that allowed the minimap to flash or glow instead of a sound being played, that'd work imo.