[Guide] HoN players guide to LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

loltastic

02-04-2010

Hi

If you are reading this, you have played HoN before and want to try out LoL. You probably are getting beaten pretty bad by the time you are reading this, I'll explain later why that is.

First, let me go through the story which you have likely encountered:

1) You think to yourself "Icefrog made LoL? It obviously must be like dota! Time to try this LoL and own"

2) You dominate the first few games, going 20/2/6 against people who have downsyndrome while your allies complain you are stealing their creep kills

3) You start to lose massively as the matchmaking system flags you as a smurf and you are shoved into games with all level 30's while you are still level 12 with no runes and no hero choices. The enemy heroes show mediocre signs of intelligence, while your allies systematically fail. Wins are still possible, but they become rare.

If this story describes you, keep reading. This is a survival guide with how to deal with LoL if you are a HoN player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runes + masteries - LoL's way of fabricating skill

You will no doubt have noticed that at the beginning, when everyone was level 1, the enemy seemed a lot weaker than when you start going up against 30's. This is not just due to their newbishness, or the fact that enemies don't understand the concept of baiting. People at level 30 have full masteries and runebooks which give them bonuses like 33% attack speed, 15% cooldown reduction on summoner abilities, extra mana/hp regen, extra crit damage, etc. Basically it will feel like fighting a level 4 hero from the start of the game. Don't try to make a fuss about this, these LoL players worked hard to obtain their passive bonuses and smurfs like yourself should just learn to deal with it. If you wanted a game that was balanced for everyone, you would still be playing HoN.

Summoner Abilities - Blinks for everyone!

There is a new system of adding abilities to your hero which consists of summoner abilities. Beside the 4 normal hero abilities and the new passive, there are 2 spells you can choose at the beginning of the game which are non-hero specific. The two you should be choosing every game are blink (flash) and ghost/ignite/exhaust.

No Juking in LoL

The reason you want blink is that there is absolutely no juking in LoL. You can think of it more along the lines of WoW Arena than DOTA. There are no trees in LoL but there is 'tall grass', unfortunately the tall grass does not allow juking, it only allows ambushing. For this reason blink is extremely good on any hero because it is really the only juking skill in the game. Blinking across terrain either offensively or defensively is pretty much the epitome of movement skill in LoL.

No Denying

Thats right, put your autoattacking afkhats on for level 1 because there is no denying of creeps. There is no denying of towers either. A common pub tactic that you will come across is for 2 tanks to run up to a tower and start beating on it early in the game when most nukers don't have the killing power to stop them. The tower will continue to ignore the heroes, and as long as they keep beating on the tower and ignore you they wont be targeted. This seems like a legitimate strategy against certain heroes (to ignore them and autoattack the tower) because the towers are actually insanely op compared to DOTA towers. The towers do 200+ damage (yes, the outermost ones) and are thus the biggest obstacles in the early game. Towers hard counter every single hero, and since they are not deniable you can attrition them down in any manner that you please.

Along with the lack of denying in LoL, the last hitting is a pain in the ass. There is considerable lag between hit animations and the damage for ranged creeps, ranged creep projectiles move insanely slow, and the sheer number of them attacking makes it very difficult to last hit. This is why most people in LoL just autoattack, there's no point to last hitting (especially when the gold gain is so low). Whether you see it as a good thing or a bad thing is subjective.

Items

There is an item for everything, any stat you can think of can be astronomically boosted with the right items. Some of them seem downright rofl (25% ability cooldown reduction) while some are familiar (banshee -> nullstone, phantom dancer -> sny). However op you think an item is, there are other op items to counter them so in fact all items are fairly balanced. You will find it annoying that all regen is measured in 5 second intervals, and that the item descriptions are organized in run-on sentences, but guess why they call it LoL?

One thing to note is that there is a lack of early game pushing items. Mekanism doesn't exist, neither does arcane ring. You cannot share items, and there is no courier. You may be wondering, in a game that attempts to solve the problem of using carries as the ultimate strategy to win, why they would remove all anti-carry items from the game. It's called LoL.

Heroes - Lack of AOE disable

There is a considerable lack of AOE disable spells/ultimates in LoL. They brought along the tree ult (amumu's ult), warlocks ult (annie) and they have pit lords stun (veigar) but on the whole most heroes are geared toward a support train style of fighting rather than aoe disable/teamkilling. There is no tempest ult, there is no behemoth ult, there is no chronos ult. Most AOE in LoL is aoe damage/slow. Scarecrow/nunu/pantheon/anivia/morgana/etc. The paltry few aoe stunners either stun for 1-2 seconds or have pathetic aoe range. Therefore it is impossible to complain about an enemy's 'lucky ult' winning the game for them.

Heroes - Lack of displacers

Beyond blitzcranks pull I haven't seen any other displacers in the game, there is nothing like kraken ult and nothing like andromedas swap. It's your own **** fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Backdooring

When someone complains about backdooring in LoL, they do not mean pushing a tower when no creeps are around or killing the base when no creeps are inside the base. They are referring to a hero pushing a lane when no enemy hero is present in that lane. Since there are no teleport items in LoL, 'backdooring' is an extremely powerful strategy in that the only counter to it is to use a precious summoner ability slot to give yourself a teleport.

Warding

Don't try to put wards on top of terrain to give ownage vision, it doesn't work. Apparently the hills are filled with giant termites that instantly devour all wards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately what you need to do to survive LoL is just not care about it. Remember the tryhard attitude you had in HoN, when you cared that your team sucked and that the poor performance of others led to your death? Well, it doesn't exist here. Every aspect of this game is too rofl for that kind of attitude to persist. You have to realize that even if an enemy kills you, it means nothing. If you aren't level 30 you won't fully know whether you died because they outplayed you or because they outruned you. In short, chill out and play this rofl game the way you play monopoly or TF2 pubs.

btw I suspect the sequel to LoL (if there is one) will be called Rise Of Fallen Legends

simulatedvacuum

02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by loltastic View Post
Hi

If you are reading this, you have played HoN before and want to try out LoL. You probably are getting beaten pretty bad by the time you are reading this, I'll explain later why that is.

First, let me go through the story which you have likely encountered:

1) You think to yourself "Icefrog made LoL? It obviously must be like dota! Time to try this LoL and own"

2) You dominate the first few games, going 20/2/6 against people who have downsyndrome while your allies complain you are stealing their creep kills

3) You start to lose massively as the matchmaking system flags you as a smurf and you are shoved into games with all level 30's while you are still level 12 with no runes and no hero choices. The enemy heroes show mediocre signs of intelligence, while your allies systematically fail. Wins are still possible, but they become rare.

If this story describes you, keep reading. This is a survival guide with how to deal with LoL if you are a HoN player.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will no doubt have noticed that at the beginning, when everyone was level 1, the enemy seemed a lot weaker than when you start going up against 30's. This is not just due to their newbishness, or the fact that enemies don't understand the concept of baiting. People at level 30 have full masteries and runebooks which give them bonuses like 33% attack speed, 15% cooldown reduction on summoner abilities, extra mana/hp regen, extra crit damage, etc. Basically it will feel like fighting a level 4 hero from the start of the game. Don't try to make a fuss about this, these LoL players worked hard to obtain their passive bonuses and smurfs like yourself should just learn to deal with it. If you wanted a game that was balanced for everyone, you would still be playing HoN.

There is a new system of adding abilities to your hero which consists of summoner abilities. Beside the 4 normal hero abilities and the new passive, there are 2 spells you can choose at the beginning of the game which are non-hero specific. The two you should be choosing every game are blink (flash) and ghost/ignite/exhaust.

-To be continued later-
Fail troll is fail?

Klazzix

02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulatedvacuum View Post
Fail troll is fail?
You fail yourself. This actually is a very realistic guide about things that are really happening. Loltastic too.

DragonArmy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2010

Quote:

-To be continued later-
LOL - Fail Troll Post!

It is hard to keep above 50% matchmaking record as your are leveling to 30. I'm sorry. However, getting to 30 does not take that long! (especially to 12 to get Flash).

The best part of the summoner system is that it discourages making multi accounts which will become a problem in HON.

loltastic

02-04-2010

Actually HoN looks like it will only allow 1 account creation per cd key. I'm guessing you've never played it so you wouldn't know, but you need to send yourself a beta invite to create a smurf account. I ran out of beta account invites :\

So far I'm level 16 in LoL, I've played around 100 games. I think that it will probably take another 200 to get up to 30, am I right? In HoN you are on an equal footing with your opponents every single game you play.

Humdot

02-04-2010

Quote:
Actually HoN looks like it will only allow 1 account creation per cd key. I'm guessing you've never played it so you wouldn't know, but you need to send yourself a beta invite to create a smurf account. I ran out of beta account invites :\

So far I'm level 16 in LoL, I've played around 100 games. I think that it will probably take another 200 to get up to 30, am I right? In HoN you are on an equal footing with your opponents every single game you play.
HoN troll is fail, gfto our forums!

PrawnWonton

02-04-2010

HON players guide to LOL:

The first thing you will notice is the minimap wasn't made in MSPaint, thus you can see what is going on.

The second thing you will notice is the store actually has a coherent interface; no need to memorize a plethora of hotkeys to buy anything quasi-useful.

Scruttocks

02-04-2010

In all seriousness, the rune system is terrible. It would be far simpler if you could use any rank 2 runes you want for free, the only ip cost is to get the rank 3 ones.

Or even paying directly to upgrade rank 1 -> 2 -> 3 so you don't have to worry about wasting ip on lower level runes; the transmute system is garbage.

The way the levelling speed and ip gain is structured discourages you from getting any runes until level 20, all the while you're at a significant disadvantage.

CryHavoc

02-04-2010

Quote:
hi

if you are reading this, you have played hon before and want to try out lol. After playing lol for a few days you realize that it's a lot more fun, but you're a whiny noob who's resistant to anything different than what you've been playing for the past 5 years, so you go back to hon.
ftfy. =)

Gekkonidae

02-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruttocks View Post
In all seriousness, the rune system is terrible. It would be far simpler if you could use any rank 2 runes you want for free, the only ip cost is to get the rank 3 ones.

Or even paying directly to upgrade rank 1 -> 2 -> 3 so you don't have to worry about wasting ip on lower level runes; the transmute system is garbage.

The way the levelling speed and ip gain is structured discourages you from getting any runes until level 20, all the while you're at a significant disadvantage.
I think lvl 1's should be free. But... I didn't buy a single rune until lvl 20 and im not *****ing. :P