The new Yi - 4 or 5 zeal Master Yi

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Suuperdad

03-02-2011

This is a guide on a pushing style yi. This Yi does not care for teamfights, he just pushes lanes and towers and runs away faster than anyone can possibly catch him. This Yi is viable entirely because of the latest patch.

Masteries: Typical offensive masteries
Runes: Whatever you want. Arm Pen reds, Arm Pen or speed quints, then whatever. I go with Armor yellows and MR blues.

Items:
Cloth Armor, 5 pots
Wriggles on first pill
Boots of Mobility
Zeal
Zeal
Zeal
Zeal

Upgrade Zeal into PD
Upgrade Zeal into PD
Upgrade Zeal into PD
Upgrade Zeal into Triforce/PD
Sell wriggles for Bloodthirster
Sell boots for whatever (IE/Bloodthirster)

Note: 3-4 PD's will cap your attack speed so you get no benefit from R. Because of this, for lategame, when you start hitting attack speed cap, I'd recommend using your 6th piece for something else... black cleaver, IE, another bloodthirster, frozen mallet, guardian angel, banshee's veil, etc. Note that this will probably happen around the time other people are filling their 4th slot, since you farm so insanely.

/edit: Actually what I've been finding lately is that by the time you are capping your attack speed, you are generally in their base, and teamfights are more common. What I've been doing lately (to good effect) is at this point to sell off some items and build tanky for that last push. If you played correctly you should have more than enough gold to do this, and the small amount of wasted gold really doesn't matter.

Summoners: Cleanse then Ghost/Flash/Teleport (your choice)

Skills:
R>Q>E>W

Tactics:
Lane as typical Yi until you have enough for Wriggles. Pill and get Wriggles. Jungle/counterjungle/gank now that you have wriggles.

When you go to a lane for a gank, push the lane as far as possible then run to next lane. Tell your team to group up as 4 at either top or bottom while you push two lanes at once.

What this does...

This will not only get you insanely farmed, but the opponent team MUST react to you or you will push down multiple towers. They also can't only send 1 to counter you, because you will be able to 1v1 just about anyone. So they have to send 2 to defend (at least). The rest of your team now 4v3's them.

When the 2 come for you, you have cleanse plus R (and possibly flash/ghost) along with 500 move speed to escape no problem.

Just push push push lanes.

Endgame, when people come to try to stop you, you can pop ghost, run back to top and now initiate a 5v3 on them under a tower.

The whole brokeness of this build is the insane mobility that you have. Nobody can touch you. Nobody can push a lane like you can (alpha instantly kills 4 mobs, then you have a 2.5 attack speed to drop the other 2). You literally clear a wave in the time it takes you to run.. you almost don't even stop. Just push push push.

Always be aware of your minimap, always know where their team is. Always move away from their team unless a teamfight was initiated and you think you can run in and clean it up.

Since you are getting most of the gold on the map, you must be responsible for warding like crazy. You'll get upwards of 15-20k gold per game with this build. Once you get your 4th zeal, you should be continually potioned up.

The meta is a pushing meta, and 4-5 zeal Yi pushes like nobody else. Enjoy it before they make zeal movespead unique.

Suuperdad

03-02-2011

A few responses to some comments...

Regarding Extreme Gold/EXP
Yi hording the gold on the map is easily my biggest concern with this build. I've had games where I've farmed 20-25k gold in 45-50 mins. The rest of my team was obviously well below this and this got me concerned. This could be a big flaw in this build.

Things that mitigate this are:
- Your team is constantly in a state of 4v3 (or if you are quick and they are mid, 5v3), so they *should* be winning most teamfights they encounter, and getting TONS of kill/assist gold, as well as running through the enemy jungle and getting all that gold.
- Two people on the other team are usually required to stop you, notably someone that is super high dps, or CC - or else you can just ignore them and drop the tower regardless of their presence (while your minion line hits them). For example, Soraka showing up to stop the Yi doesn't really do anything, Yi just ignores her and takes the tower down.
- If you were to rank the top 3 champions that you would want fed like this, Yi is arguably one of them. So yes you are taking a ton of gold, however, it's going to a good cause. Plus you can always adapt, move into a tanky dps yi build with your best-6 itemset, then easy back on the pushing and let others farm up. Typically you'll fill 6 slots by the time others fill 4.

Starving enemy team:
Yi pushing both lanes normally means two things
1) The people coming to stop your minion wave are normally their AoE'ers, and/or CC'ers (to try to get you). This means that generally the most threatening targets from their team are coming from you. So not only are you setting up 4v3's for your teamates, but those 4v3's are generally Tank + Support + one DPS. So not only do they only have 3, but those 3 are simply not capable of stopping a 4-push, simply because it's their DPS that has to stop you.
2) When you push both lanes simultaneously, they need to send 2 to stop you, and those 2 must be DPS/CC. Because of this, if you get good at this and can time both lanes pushed to a tower at the same time, those 2 dps still have to come to you (or you can generally ignore one and drop the tower), so that means one lane is in a constant state of the tower killing minions with no enemy hero present. I.E. this build absolutely STARVES the enemy team of an entire lane of gold/exp, constantly. Again, this isn't something you can accomplish on your first attempt, it takes a few games to get good at timings of when to push lanes.

Your goal is always to push lanes with a timing that maximizes the exp/gold loss for the other team.

Your Viability in teamfights, and the single biggest weakness of this build:

You still have some viability in a teamfight, but if your team is somehow behind, it will be very hard to pull back into the game. You get blown up instantly in a teamfight (although since you farm so much gold, lategame you always have the option of selling your entire itemset and getting a new 6. Certainly at least you can sell a few PD's and pick up Frozen Mallet/Atma's.

Biggest weakness of this build:

The biggest weakness is if somehow the enemy team is able to push on you. Lets say that you are pushing bot, and for some reason your brainless team decides to intiate a 4v5 on them near baron before you can come help. If they wipe your team, you are going to get pushed hard. Depending on how the recovery on respawn goes, if they are able to maintain the push, and you lose towers, now you aren't as safe to push out as far anymore. You are forced to base defend, and this is where the game becomes hard to win.

All games I've lost with this build are games happen like this:

Enemy team is pushing 5 strong somewhere. You are pushing at least 1 other lane strong. Now, this is exactly where you want this game to be. You want to FORCE them to react to you by sending at least 2 people, and THEN have your team initiate a 4v3 on them. So you are in the perfect situation atm. However, for some reason, your brainless team decides to initate a 4v5 and gets wiped. You set up a perfect game situation, and instead of capitalizing on it, your team put themselves on a platter.

Basically, as long as they stay 5 strong your 4 teamates should be D-ing up under a tower until the precise moment that 1-2 of them leave, and then initiating a 4v3. Maybe that's too much higher-level strategy to expect a random group of people to be able to handle?

For this reason, I think this 4-zeal Yi may be a KILLER component of a competent team i.e. an advanced strategy, but may be extremely detrimental to a team full of baddies that don't understand how to capitalize on him.

Suuperdad

03-02-2011

Reserved for future

Eledhan

03-02-2011

I have the sinking feeling that you are actually Superdadd with a modified name to post wild theories without tarnishing your reputation...

Suuperdad

03-02-2011

Not intentionally modified, just another account.

Try it out, this is very strong. As long as your team doesn't continually initiate 4v5's nonstop, you'll be in great shoes.

If you get into a teamfight, just remember, you are a glass cannon, so you go in and clean-up after most of the damage is done, then bring down 2-3 towers... you do not initiate or go in too early or you'll fail miserably.

However, I'd recommend just getting your teammates to sit under a tower until the opposition MUST react to you, then initiating a 4v3 on them when they leave the lane.

SkullMasteRgR

03-02-2011

and where does the dmg comes from? u realise u cant crit towers i guess. and wuju style dmg isnt enough to kill turrets fast enough.

Suuperdad

03-02-2011

You push lanes. Ever see what 25 minions do to a tower since the patch?

This build does two things...

It forces the opposition to respond with 2 people to stop you thus setting up countless 4v3's.
It pushes lanes faster than any other build, ensuring (as long as your team is semi-competent) that lanes are constantly pushed to their towers.

The patch changed the game, and this build is to maximize your effectiveness in this new push meta.

SkullMasteRgR

03-02-2011

Quote:
You push lanes. Ever see what 25 minions do to a tower since the patch?

This build does two things...

It forces the opposition to respond with 2 people to stop you thus setting up countless 4v3's.
It pushes lanes faster than any other build, ensuring (as long as your team is semi-competent) that lanes are constantly pushed to their towers.

The patch changed the game, and this build is to maximize your effectiveness in this new push meta.
Well if u wanna push lanes one zeal is enough and then put tiamat.... after that upgrade to PD and then starks. Boots of mobility and one PD is more than enough to quickly switch lanes.
And if u wanna be the best pusher ever, which this guide is all about i think, teleport is a MUST.

Valthan

03-02-2011

It seems the whole idea of this build is that it forces more than one person to come counter you, allowing your team to dominate in a 4v3. However, there are certain champs that can easily force this Yi to back off on their own. Basically any champ with a heavy hitting AoE attack or multiple AoE attacks to nuke all the minions at once.

Champs that can do this most easily include Mordekaiser, Malzahar, Kassadin, Annie, Pantheon, and Rammus. If they've farmed up enough power, Nasus, Renekton, Vladimir, Sion, and even Jarvan IV if he gets a good angle on them with his Q.

Even more dangerous are champs that can nuke all the minions AND trap Yi under the tower once they're gone, like Pantheon, Malzahar, Rammus, Sion, and Jarvan IV.

Pantheon is the biggest counter to this strategy as his jump will get him on your ass instantly, nuking all the minions at the same time, then stun + heartseeker combo. If you catches you in tower range too, it's a guaranteed kill for Pantheon.

Micre

03-02-2011

Think about your move speed though. I have not actually tested it, but if this works as he says it does:

1. Ward a lot of areas
2. Push like crazy in two lanes
3. Hightail your ass out at the first sign of danger (almost no one can catch you)

I agree with Pantheon being a big counter. I am unsure if this is the case with everyone, but I do not see his ult animation until he lands. Anyone else though...... If there really is a pantheon on the other team just re-evaluate your strategy, try something else. As for aoe nukers, they have to be able to catch you. Even if they send one person to each of the other two lanes you are still accomplishing one of the goals, set up a 4 v 3. Also at your move speed you can quickly be there for the clean-up. I am certainly willing to give this idea a try sometime.

12345 ... 6