Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Stay away from Warwick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arctyc

02-04-2010

Warwick is also dependent entirely on time/gold expensive combos. His Ultimate is actually very weak unless you have the Lizard Buff and on-hit items such as a Madred's Bloodrazor, Black Cleaver, Malady, and/or Wit's End.

He can be fun! I still play 'wick from time to time and have a good amount of success with him, but you have to be *very* aware of your counters. Things like never ult a Gangplank unless you know his Remove Scurvy is down. Never ult a Sivir that knows you're coming unless you know shield is down. In team fights make sure you wait for the counterult on interruptables like Fiddlesticks winding up Crowstorm, or Nunu, or Katarina. Never ult next to a player with a ready disable like Sion or Alistar. Always use a Hungering first on players with Banshee's Veil before ulting.

sainthero

02-04-2010

Well not a lot of people realize that warwick is one of the best late game champs. He can kill multiple enemies at once with the right items and he can just push with his team all the way to the nexus in one go. His ult is a good counter for carries.

Rhatha

02-04-2010

Honestly, if you're new to the game, you're probably going to be at low-mid ELO for a good while, and he's just fine there. I find him fun to play even if he is weaker than many other melee. You need to have a good early game to be able to do much once teamfights start, though.. he's very dependent on having good items.

As for actually playing him, a couple things you need to remember:
1. You can chase very well with his E ability, but you need to not be tempted to run too far away from your team and into a trap.
2. If you're spending a lot of the early game in the jungle, be sure to come out and help gank whenever you get an opportunity (enemy is pushing near your tower and you have a lizard buff, for example). And make sure your team has two people who can solo lane well! Jungling only works if both of your solo people don't die and outlevel the other team, and one of them is fighting 1v2. This is a big reason why it's sometimes hard to solo queue with Warwick.
3. When you have a bit of free gold, placing wards in the jungle and on the dragon is never a bad idea early game.. if you can catch someone with their pants down, great, and it can help watch for people trying to sneak up on you.
4. Your ult... is buggy. Don't use it near the grass; sometimes your target will walk inside, your ult will start outside the grass, but you can't see them any more and they walk away while you're stunned. Also watch for cleanse and Gangplank as mentioned above. Don't hesitate to use it on someone full health if you have a teammate with you. If you're solo, though, sometimes it's a good idea to use your other abilities first.. if you have the mana you can probably use Q after the ult as well as before.
5. Items: Mostly people build Madred's Bloodrazor since part of it allows you to jungle more easly early game. That gives a fair bit of attack speed, and in general damage is good since it helps your ult, and you can get attack speed from W anyway. Black Cleaver is a good choice and helps your team. Bloodthirster is fine if you can avoid dying, otherwise Stark's Fervor is probably a better choice for lifesteal, and helps your team.. make sure noone else is getting it, though. If you need more health, Frozen Mallet can be helpful if you get it early on. Infinity Edge is always an option, but you don't have any skills that work with crit so the others may be better. Generally, killing the golem is the best way to help your mana regen both early and late game, but if a teammate needs it you can always look into survivability items with mana like Frozen Heart or Banshee's Veil. I'm not fond of Wit's End myself but it can be useful against teams that have a low mana pool, as you can take 252 mana away with your ult.

Also, if you haven't jungled from level 1 before, it's probably easiest to start with a defensive mastery, a cloth armor, 3-4 health potions, and go in a practice game. It gets easier with more runes and masteries, to start with, you probably want to take either smite or rally and use them to kill the golem at level 1. Taking both really just encourages people to kill you off as they have a pretty good idea exactly where you're going, at least above low ELO, so I often take one of the two and then a more generally useful skill; exhaust, ignite, or sometimes clairvoyance of fortify if the team doesn't have them. Just do a couple practice games and you'll get the hang of jungling quickly enough.. the hard part is knowing when to pop out and help your team and when to keep going.

SaiBot

Recruiter

02-04-2010

Quote:
sainthero:
Well not a lot of people realize that warwick is one of the best late game champs. He can kill multiple enemies at once with the right items

Warwick killing multiple enemys at once ? Are we playing the same league of legends ?

Timlankey

02-04-2010

Tiamat x6.

Daikaze

02-04-2010

Even without cleanse WW is not a very useful character. The ult itself isn't all that fearsome, and he doesn't put out all that much damage... Then he's over reliant on life steal which is easily countered by ignite/Executioner's Calling/et al.

WW needs quite some adjustments to be useful... right now Udyr just does it better.

Phiphler

Recruiter

02-04-2010

It certainly isn't easy to master Warwick, because there are things that counter him. If you work with your team though, Warwick is a true teamplayer and a huge asset lategame.

Contrary to popular belief, Warwick DOES see use in all tiers of the game. With a Bloodrazor he does impressive damage, and if you have other champions to CC for him, there is no need to solely rely on his Ult to stun people.

Overall, he isn't a carry I would recommend starting with, but he has pretty nice potential if you have enough understanding of the game.

Klazzix

02-04-2010

Warwick is fun. Seriously. He's like the best assassin type hero, for me. I don't know if he got that tag though.

mrdudefool

02-04-2010

Quote:
Krosan:
Sort of. At one point it was super common because a buff made it crazy powerful, but then they nerfed it down a bit; I don't play in high ELO matches myself, but it's not ultra common at my level right now.

Basically, just look at the loading screen, mark who on the enemy team has Cleanse, then remember not to ult them (Or Gangplank, who has an ability that does the same thing, I think) unless you're positive they've burned it.

gangplank has a cleanse technique, but its useless as when a champ is stunned, he can only do his summoner abilities.

Klazzix

02-04-2010

Quote:
mrdudefool:
gangplank has a cleanse technique, but its useless as when a champ is stunned, he can only do his summoner abilities.

Negative.