(Guide) Pantheon, Artisan of War

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grimhand

08-08-2010

Yesterday I had a fine run with the tankbuilt Pant, thank you for that.
After I had my Boots 2 and Warmog's, I was thinking about the mana problem. I solved it with Tear of the Goddess, which went well with Pant. After I got Atma's and was working on my 2nd Warmog's I came to think about spamming Pant's abilities. So what I wanted to ask is if you would approve of a Soul Shroud and a Nashor's for Pant? It would lead to the following built:

1. Regrowths
2. Ninja's
3. Upgrade to Warmog's
4. Tear
5. Nashor's
6. Soulshroud
7.Atma's or Mallet

You might ask why I wanna build a hybrid tank. In the above mentioned game my stats in the end where around 6/1/10. I was thinking of a possibility to improve Pant's deadliness without loosing his great tank qualities. On top, the tear almost forces you into CD.

Vijaya

08-08-2010

Why would you ever build Pantheon as a tank? The only thing he offers is a one second stun. Compare this to Amumu, who can stun the whole team and deals more damage than Panth, Alistar, who has an AoE stun and can force his enemies to move, as well as an ult that gives him massive damage reduction and bonus damage, or Shen, who has two powerful shielding abilities, one of which can be cast on an ally, an AoE taunt that recharges his passive (which gives him more damage than tank Panth), etcetcetc.

For that matter, why would you ever get any AP items on him? He only has two abilities that scale with AP; one does hardly any damage and the other will never hit an enemy team that is paying attention.

Pantheon is a DPS carry that needs to be played like a melee burst mage. If you don't build him to maximize damage and armor pen, he won't do any damage. You might stay alive as tank Pantheon, but your bringing nothing to your team that they couldn't get from a much better source.

Grimhand

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijaya View Post
Why would you ever build Pantheon as a tank?
Thanks for the comment. I understand your point but I still think Pant really is a bit frail. You have to be quite excellent in playing Pant in order to bring to bear his full dps capacity. Since I am not very experienced with him I decided to play him tankstyle. A 6/1/10 is better than a 12/8/x or something. On top, if you are soloing and do not have a decent tank in the team you can take up this position with pant.

Nisg

08-08-2010

so you are gonna tank without magic resist?

Vijaya

08-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimhand View Post
Thanks for the comment. I understand your point but I still think Pant really is a bit frail. You have to be quite excellent in playing Pant in order to bring to bear his full dps capacity. Since I am not very experienced with him I decided to play him tankstyle. A 6/1/10 is better than a 12/8/x or something. On top, if you are soloing and do not have a decent tank in the team you can take up this position with pant.
Then you need to learn to play Pantheon as a DPS champ. If you want to tank, go play a tank.\

Edit: Let me elaborate on why tank Pantheon is bad. He brings absolutely nothing to a team. Effective tanks need at least one of these three things:

1) Massive amounts of CC (Amumu, Shen and Alistar all have powerful AoE hard CC)
2) Large amounts of DPS (Nasus can build as a tank, but still deal tons of damage with his SS and ult)
3) Some way to control the battlefield (Rammus can drag enemies around with taunt and deal decent AoE damage, all while staying alive thanks to DBC)

Pantheon, built as a tank, has a single target, 1 second stun. His damage output scales directly with his items, so he won't deal any damage with tanking gear. He does have a decent battlefield control skill, which is his ultimate, but that requires enough channel time that you will very rarely hit with it. Even if you do hit with it, tank-Panth has absolutely nothing he can do after landing, while DPS-Panth can Aegis/HSS/SS an enemy carry and instantly kill them, then pop cleanse and ghost and get away.

By playing tank Pantheon you are actually hurting your team, because you are filling a team slot with a useless character. And more, you will never learn to survive as Pantheon by playing him built as a tank. You need to realize that Pantheon, played properly, is a burst-mage that scales with physical damage. Your job is to jump in, drop all your abilities, then pop ghost and cleanse and get out alive. If done properly, half the enemy team will be dead and your team will mop up theirs, then hit the enemy towers (which Pantheon destroys faster than any mage but Heimer could wish for).

Anyway, I'm done with this. If you me to show you how to play Pantheon, add me in game. But hoenstly, you should find a new champion. Panth was great pre-season 1, but unfortunately the nerfs left him with absolutely nothing. His late game was always terrible, now it's worse, and his early game is pretty crappy. Without an incredible early game, he can't get fed, and without feeding, he's a worthless champ.

Rhendeth

08-08-2010

Call me a noob, but I ALWAYS build a Frozen Mallet first, then Berserker Grieves, then Blood Thirster. From there it generally depends on the other team. Sometimes Armor / Resists / HP's, others more attack speed / dps.

But the Frozen Mallet is always my first build. Health, Damage, Snare all in one.

Mistjaymes

08-08-2010

pantheon would be good if it didnt take 10 seconds to do a grand skyfall.

Rhendeth

08-09-2010

Nah, his grand skyfall is fine. What he does need would be a secondary ability added into his shield. Such as being able to expend the block that occurs every fourth hit and be able to use it as a shield bash that stuns the target for 1 second.

Aidsmaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2010

does his E ability stack the Black Cleaver debuff?

Trillo

08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidsmaster View Post
does his E ability stack the Black Cleaver debuff?
No. Spear Shot and Heart Seeker do not proc on hit effects. The only thing Pantheon & his skills benefit from his straight up damage & armor pen.

If your not stacking damage & armor pen, your doing it(him) wrong. Let the tanks initiate, then dive in and own face.