Does movement speed cap?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

pwnist

03-02-2011

Does movement speed cap?

Tragyk

03-02-2011

It is not, Grasshyren got to 5785 with rammus and multiple speed buffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLJvHCtlVVY

R66Y

03-02-2011

There is no hard cap, but there is a soft cap on movement speed. I'll direct your eyes up to the sticky entitled "movement speed FAQ" in this forum for further details on the soft cap if you want them.

aviraaaa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-02-2011

Check out the above mentioned movement speed FAQ.

There is no hard cap (e.g. attack speed caps at 2.5). But, movement speed has diminishing returns, and therefore, a soft cap.

There's a detailed LoL wiki page on the actual calculation of the diminishing returns here.

Burbinator

03-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraaaa View Post
Check out the above mentioned movement speed FAQ.

There is no hard cap (e.g. attack speed caps at 2.5). But, movement speed has diminishing returns, and therefore, a soft cap.

There's a detailed LoL wiki page on the actual calculation of the diminishing returns here.
Diminishing returns does not imply soft cap. The two statements are not semantically equivalent. Dodge, for example, stacks multiplicatively and thus has diminishing returns, but there is no soft cap on dodge %. A soft cap may artificially impose diminishing returns past a certain point reached, but not all forms of diminishing returns are a soft cap.

aviraaaa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbinator View Post
Diminishing returns does not imply soft cap. The two statements are not semantically equivalent. Dodge, for example, stacks multiplicatively and thus has diminishing returns, but there is no soft cap on dodge %. A soft cap may artificially impose diminishing returns past a certain point reached, but not all forms of diminishing returns are a soft cap.
I believe we have defined a soft cap as two different things in our respective posts.

In my mind, a soft cap is what results from diminishing returns.
Such as you cannot reach a true 100% dodge chance. You may reach an infinite percentage (99.9999999% continuous) that essentially becomes or is rounded up to 100%, but never a complete 100%. That is the soft cap.
This is opposed to a hard cap, such as the 40% hard cap on cooldown reduction or the 2.5 hard cap on attack speed.

From what I understand, you believe the soft cap to be the point at which diminishing returns begin (i.e. 415 for movement speed). And it's true, in this way, diminishing returns does not necessitate a soft cap, but a soft cap necessitates diminishing returns.

Burbinator

03-03-2011

Quote:
In my mind, a soft cap is what results from diminishing returns
But that's not what it is at all. A soft cap is a very distinct terminology from diminishing returns. Your MS will increase at a linear rate, until you hit a specific point upon which you gain less actual MS per point. It's something artificial, rather than being the natural result of multiplicative increase for example. I see that you're trying to make soft cap and diminishing returns synonymous, but it is useful to have a specific term for stats that are capped in this way. In fact, this is what the term soft cap originated for, which is why the misuse bugs me even more.

not that it's a big deal, or anything. Hope you don't take it harshly, i can just be very pedantic at times

aviraaaa

03-04-2011

It's quite alright, I get what you mean. I get what you mean, it's true, it would definitely make sense to name the point at which that happens.

But there's a lot of misunderstandings concerning the term soft cap. I myself went and searched for it, and people are confused across the board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katai View Post
Soft Cap is the result of multiplicative stacking.
And that's one of the emissaries. And although this was a while ago and emissaries aren't infalliable, you can see what I mean when I say that the population is confused.

D:

Good point though, thanks for bringing it up.