Question about Tier 3 runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Only and One

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2011

OK, I'm level 18, and I only have about 6k of IP saved up for runes,because I only recently started saving. When I get to level 20, I was wondering, will runes even matter in normal games, before ranked? Because I have friends on lol that are something like level 24 and have no runes, and can play pretty well. So, the real question is, is it worth it to waste my IP on runes, before they will change much, or waiting until level 30, and unlocking champions on the way.

TrueElements

03-01-2011

Really........ I played without runes for months at 30 and did fine, I got the heros I wanted and was like, "Meh" mana regen runes I have noticed though. I mean you will see a difference late game, atleast I do with armor pen and twitch.

LOLMARINE

03-01-2011

at level 20? not really, you don't have all your rune slots unlocked and they barely make a noticeable difference. And having the right runes won't automatically make you a good player, practice makes you a good player.

Ysmir

03-01-2011

It makes a huge difference. Imagine laning with any champ versus any champ. Now imagine doing the same thing with 10 more armor pen, 70 more health, 20 more armor, and more mana regen. It's a pretty massive advantage early.

Doesn't make a big advantage late depending on your runes, but it's still there.

Felstag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLMARINE View Post
practice makes you a good player.
This is the truth! I got a full page of runes and the only real difference I can "feel" is the health quints. the rest don't really have a massive effect on gameplay. So if there is a pricey champ you really want, go for it.

jellysandwich

03-01-2011

3 Quints = ~300 g
9 Marks = ~400 g
9 Seals = ~400 g
9 Glyphs = ~400 g

Pretty rough estimates, but full rune set will set up you ahead by ~1500 gold. VERY noticeable, and will take considerable skill advantage to make up for it.

And to clarify, you can start using the best runes at 20. You don't need to wait until 30 to start.

Macaro Grai

03-01-2011

My advice is to buy some cheap 2nd tier runes and combine them. It will give you a random 3rd tier rune. While this will not allow you to build a full rune page until lvl 20 it may give you some random but useful runes to start to build it (if you are lucky a quintessence one).

Baculus

03-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxfan8112009 View Post
OK, I'm level 18, and I only have about 6k of IP saved up for runes,because I only recently started saving. When I get to level 20, I was wondering, will runes even matter in normal games, before ranked? Because I have friends on lol that are something like level 24 and have no runes, and can play pretty well. So, the real question is, is it worth it to waste my IP on runes, before they will change much, or waiting until level 30, and unlocking champions on the way.
Buy tier 1 HP quints, AP and MP reds, HP/lvl or armor seals, and magic resis/cdrl glyphs. A full set will set you back less than 1k IP and will have a noticeable difference. Especially with Akali.

Afterwards buy key champs(or the bundles) and save up for the t3s

(EDIT: T1 Runes give a little more than a third in effect, and can fill all slots for the price of a t3 rune. Never bother with T2, they're very expensive and don't even manage 2/3rds of the power of a T3.

If you want T2s, it's cheaper to combine T1s up the chain and hope for the best.)