Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jarvan is freaking awesome.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Burning Rose

03-01-2011

I just want to say that Riot.

And to those of you who haven't figured out that Jarvan is as pure of a tank as Amumu or Shen:

You will learn soon enough. You will learn.

Krshna

03-01-2011

I agree, he strikes me very much so as a pure tank as far as skillset and kit. Yes his Q is skillshot damage, but combined with E it is a dash into knockup. Very strong initiation. The E alone gives aura armor and attack speed. He has a shield with a slow. And finally the ult is a malphite like initiation.

So he has 2 initiations, aura armor and attack speed (and he actually gets the aura on top of his own bonus, granting him I think 50 armor when maxed, which is very nice. And he has damage mitigation.

There are three things that make a tank in LoL.

1. Initiation
2. Disruption
3. Mitigation

Or in other words, they need to be able to get in, **** **** up, and get back out.

If you can do two of these things properly, you are usually a tank. The best tanks can do all three.

Shen - True Tank

Initiation: Shadow Dash
Disruption: Shadow Dash
Mitigation: Feint/Stand United

Rammus - True Tank

Initiation: Powerball
Disruption: Taunt
Mitigation: Defensive Ball Curl

Malphite - Very tanky, but not a true tank. Great initiator and very durable, but doesn't have the disruption of a true tank in a prolonged battle.

Initiation: Ult
Disruption: very limited, mostly raw damage, but he does have a slow, very soft cc
Mitigation: His passive, and massive armor

Amumu - This is an interesting character. He isn't half as tanky as Malphite, yet he is more of a true tank than Malphite, and it's not even close. He has a great initiation, the best disruption in the game, but he is actually very squishy. He relies on a high damage output, loads of cc, and and purely item-based defense.

Initiation: Bandage Toss
Disruption: Curse of the Sad Mummy
Mitigation: umm... 10 blocked damage at max level per auto attack? Not going to do much when Ashe is hitting you for 350 a shot by midgame. He has no mitigation cooldown, and relies purely on building tanky to survive.

Now, the point we are trying to get to.

Jarvan IV

Initiation: Ultimate or E/Q combo
Disruption: E/Q Combo (dash/knockup), slow from Sheild
Mitigation: Passively increased armor that doubles with a steroid, and a shield.

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be tanking on this guy. And the beautiful thing is, his kit is so naturally tanky, that he can be played as DPS and not have to build as much defense as say a Pantheon. I'm not trying to say he HAS to tank, I'm saying that he is fully capable of it.

I really am afraid to see the potential of DPS Jarvan.

Sonlir

03-01-2011

I think he's a great champion as well, his ult is really great.

cryosphinx

03-01-2011

i built him tanky with 1 or 2 dps items like most tanky dps

Burning Rose

03-01-2011

Quote:
Krshna:

I really am afraid to see the potential of DPS Jarvan.

I'm actually not.

He has one steroid. His passive doesn't scale with ATK SPD and only his Q and R scale with Attack Damage.

I mean, he'd make a fine DPS. But he makes a better tank and he kinda wastes his initiation capability if he goes DPS.

BriefEternity

03-01-2011

I've had no problems beating him down so far.

trollolo1

03-01-2011

mumu can disable an entire team
rammus can have the enemy carry follow him into your whole team
shen can save a champ, taunt into the enemy carry and save your whole team's asses

sorry man, jarvan can't outdo them