Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Rammus item build/summoner spells any suggestions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ailuros

02-03-2010

My item build for Rammus is pretty good from what I've seen. If there is 1 or 0 casters I usually by the end of the game I try to have 2 sunfires, thornmail, armor boots, and warmongers. Gives me a ton of life and more armor than I anyone can burn through. If there are 2 or more nukers I'll build in CC reducing boots, force of nature, guardian angel, banshie veil, and sunfire if I creep fast enough.

Unrelated to items I was trying to do the math over my 2nd summoner spell. I have fortify and the mastery for it due to taunt into tower is almost a guaranteed kill early game. But I was trying to think of the 2nd. Usually I'll run flash for flash/powerball or cleanse just because as a tank it's nice to say to hell with your CC. But I was thinking about picking up smite just because rammus isn't terribly good at last hitting until mid-late game. Plus the sheer amount of money he needs to be a god tank is slightly staggering.

To wrap it all up any suggestions/comments/ideas/things to try for Rammus? Thanks.

Mozric

02-03-2010

In higher ELOs people won't be dumb enough to stand next to Rammus at a tower. So fortify isn't too useful. Flash is okay. I generally run Rally/Heal or Rally/CV if we don't already have a CV. You want to buff the team with rally, and heal is great for turning a possible death into a surprise double kill.

Rammus isn't bad at last hitting. He's melee and hits hard, if you time it right you should be getting a lot of creep kills. Once he has his ult, he's good at farming big waves (short cooldown so don't be afraid to use it). Problem with his last hitting is that he tends to be harassed -- solution to that is bringing a lot of health potions for the first laning -- I generally buy Cloth Armour and 4 health pots. Also, since rammus has powerball, it's not too bad if you have to B a bit. He gets back in the action quickly.

Your build seems a bit expensive. Tanks need to get away with spending less money, because you want the carries getting the kills and gold. The build's okay, but you could probably do better.

My build is armour-heavy, but if you're up against more magic damage than physical you need to skip some of the armour and possibly even rush Banshees.

It goes something like this:

Cloth Armour + potions
Then rush Wardens Mail (great for early fights, and so cheap for so much armour)
Boots
Aegis of the Legion
Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads (depending on team)

Lategame it really depends on what's happening. Choices are Frozen Heart, Thornmail, Guardians, Banshees.

As the team's pure tank, it's a good idea to have Aegis, really helps out your team. Frozen Heart is also a great team buff -- one person on your team needs to get it, I only don't because I rush Aegis and I normally play with a friend who gets it instead. Warden's Mail is at least as good as Thornmail, and cheaper.

Sunfire and Warmogs are good items, but I think you have better choices with Rammus. Consider one of the items I mentioned above instead -- also they're cheaper.

Avloren

02-03-2010

Flash is a must-have. If you don't have flash, you can't initiate team fights, simple as that. Flash turns the otherwise easily avoidable powerball into a poor man's Malphite ult every 3 minutes, and gets you in range to actually use taunt on someone that's not a melee before they nuke you to hell with their far superior range - this single ability can be game winning, you must have it.

Anything else is optional - I used to use fortify, but eventually traded it out for teleport, sure fortify+taunt is a cute trick but I find smart enemies won't let you pull that off. Teleport can replace fortify as a defensive tool for insuring that you're there in time to save a tower (and by save I mean stand there so they don't dare get into taunt range, I don't expect my enemies to let me pull the taunt-next-to-a-tower trick off, but the threat of it will force them to keep their distance), plus it doubles as an offensive tool to unexpectedly appear at a tower your creeps are pushing on their own, or catch up with your team's push after you die to win the team fight. It also helps getting gold/xp - get back to your lane instantly early game, or quickly clear a side lane's creep wave - or quickly get to a team fight you otherwise would've missed while creep killing. Really there's so much you can do with teleport, it's not a must-have in any specific situation but it's always useful, unlike most other summoner spells.

Mozric

02-03-2010

Flash on Rammus is pretty cool, but there's no way he needs Teleport. He's one of the fastest champions in the game, and if you aren't thinking far enough ahead to powerball to a tower to defend it well before the enemy push arrives, teleport's not going to help you win the game.
If anything Ghost would be a better pick than teleport -- if you use it to get to towers you'll be almost as fast as a tele, and it has a lot of teamfight utility.

Avloren

02-03-2010

Like I said, anything else is optional. I appreciate powerball's usefulness for transportation, but I like teleport in spite of that - if you're teleporting to a team fight, seconds can make the difference and you want your powerball cooldown available, plus powerball can't get you across the map to a backdooring enemy while your team is pushing the opposite lane in time. Ghost is useful too in slightly different ways, or you could get something less personally useful but more team-supportive (clairvoyance, rally, whatever) - really as long as you have flash you can be an effective tank/initiator, the second spell is personal preference.

True Bandito

02-03-2010

I agree that Flash is a must for Rammus, not only in team fight initiations but for ganking and chasing after flashers while your Power Ball is on CD.

As my second skill, I used to have Blind to slow down people while my Tremors do bad-ass damage or shut down a physical carry for 3 seconds--Contrary to his nature as a tank, Rammus can still be easily killed by a physical carry.

Now, I use Heal (with mastery point) because it is great for early game laning against enemy harassing. Rammus can be really good if he isn't forced to the fountain before lvl 6.
Also, since Rammus is very squishy compared with Alistar or Malphite, Heal can be a difference between getting alive out of a group battle or dying in the first 5 seconds into it. I know heal is not very useful to your allies HP but Rammus' job is to get in, let the enemy focus their attention on you for as long as possible and Heal helps you to do that nicely.

Of course, if none of my teammates have Blind, I will pick it instead of Heal.

onex1

02-04-2010

Well, I agree with the Heal, it helps a lot especially if your team doesnt have it.

But, I never really got flash, i preferred ghost.

I read somewhere...that ghost has a much shorter cd, and ghost + powerball imo is better than flash. Also, flash's range is pretty short.

sainthero

02-04-2010

Flash is definitely good. Fortify is useful in more ways than just taunting when they are next to you. Depending on the enemy lineup go with magic resist or full defense. Rammus can annoyingly carry a team in my opinion.

Synxxx

02-04-2010

Ghost/Cleanse or Ghost/Flash

Regrow > Boots 3 > Soul Shroud/Catalyst > Warmogs/Veil

You're going to do ****-all damage yourself, but you'll be hard to kill and shouldn't have any problems chasing down the other team and feeding your carry plenty of easy kills.

holistic

Recruiter

02-04-2010

I disagree about not getting teleport, have you ever started a powerball
ported on or behind an opponent and come out flying? amazing things happen