Energy runes on shen not viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yagyjubei

03-01-2011

I'm nearing lvl 20 now and was looking at runes last night....To me it seems like it would be a great Idea to use energy regen runes on him but noone uses them in the guides. is the regen amount negligible or something?

FaerellG

03-01-2011

It's largely unnecessary. At low levels, you only really spam vorpal blade, which is cheap enough with basic energy regen. Between timing your vorpal blades and Ki-strikes you have plenty of energy.

At later levels, your dash will recover energy and you're just activating your feint on cooldown...which is a very inexpensive ability.

In order to fully capitalize on the energy regen, you would need to pick up CDR as well, and now you're itemizing away from your character's end goal: Tanking.

Shen would benefit much more from defense based runes.

StrongGuy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-04-2011

my friend mains him as a tank and rolls energy runes, after many games he said he notices a big difference in team fights, it can lead to an extra tide changing taunt

GloryBox

03-04-2011

ya, it makes a huge difference. i build him 1/21/8, with arm pen red, 6 flat energy and 3 scaling energy yellow, 6 flat mr and 3 scaling mr, 1 flat energy regen and 2 flat health. i like the mix of scaling and flat, but that personal preference. your gonna be buying heavy tanking items anyways, and theres only 3 ways to get energy regen - runes, blue buff, and baron ( maybe dragon in TT but i dfont know). two movement speed is also nice instead of health

edit: im not saying im particularly good with shen, but i do notice the difference

TheDisTuRb3D

03-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagyjubei View Post
I'm nearing lvl 20 now and was looking at runes last night....To me it seems like it would be a great Idea to use energy regen runes on him but noone uses them in the guides. is the regen amount negligible or something?
LOL im sorry but its like " iwas looking at runes last night" dude your so funny

Larson McMurphy

03-04-2011

I didn't notice the difference until I thought the energy runes weren't doing anything and I switched them out. Then all of a sudden I was running out of energy in team fights and I couldn't get my ult off in time sometimes, or an extra taunt. The difference is small, but just a few energy points is the difference between using an ability at a critical moment or not.

Smellis

03-04-2011

I run energy regen runes on him myself and the difference is VERY noticable. You can fit in other spells in a team fight when you want to be dashing on cool down. Its a worthwhile investment if you plan on playing the energy champs. They're useful on kennen as well but i cant say much about akali because i dont play her.

Cenerae

03-04-2011

Energy runes on Shen aren't great, but can let you do a little more than just Dash in teamfights. I don't personally feel that's worth using runes for, but some people like it.

Akali doesn't need them (she has no energy issues as long as she can proc her Q). Kennen probably benefits the most from them.