Olaf: How do I build and play him?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bill The Bubble

03-05-2011

Hey all,

So I bought Olaf because I think I like his play style. I've found, however, that I have no idea how to use him. I've tried jungling in some practice games and can do it fairly effectively with the runes I have (Armor Reds/Yellows, CDR/Mana regen glyphs, Health Quints). I don't know what to do after the first 3-4 levels, however.

My questions are:
What is the mindset of an Olaf Jungler?
What are some typical builds?
What are the different ways you can build him? Straight DPS? More tanky? What works best and why?
Are there any High level players that have guides/live streams where they play Olaf?

Thanks!

RightClickMe1

03-05-2011

Sorry, but I can only give you one tip of advice. Build him tanky. The reason as to this is because of his passive, you do more dps at low health. Being tankier makes you stay at low health. Duhh.

Seelyon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-05-2011

I dont play Olaf anymore, but i had solid success with this Olaf Guide when i did, should give you a good starting point.

SwiftySuspect

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-06-2011

I've tried straight DPS and it's really nothing more than to do loldmg with undertow. Tanky is definitely the way to go. Tanky lets you take advantage of his best spell, reckless swing, and also sit on enemy carrys.

Always max E first, followed by Q. You only need 1 or 2 levels in W early on. Armor pen red/quints, hp/lvl yellows, magic resist/lvl blues are also great runes for him. His masteries can be 1/18/11 or the more common 0/21/9.

He is great to counter jungle with because there is very few junglers that can take him 1v1 if they run into him. His ganks are really good as well. Depending on your accuracy you have a perma-slow with his undertow.

After level 4 you should be clearing camps with axe spam/razor procs and ganking as often as you can to take advantage of the slow from his axe and early game damage from reckless swing.

As for items, other than a wriggles lantern the items are completely situational. You can take CDR boots or Mercury treads depending on the team. The best items on him are frozen mallet, atmas impaler, randuins omen, and a banshee's veil. The order you build them is all dependant on the team.

I've yet to touch ranked, but my normal elo places me against a lot of the top 100 from time to time and I tend to do fairly well even when they aren't trolling. He is definitely my favorite champion and I play him a lot. You can check my profile to see a few of the scores he's able to achieve.

You should keep an eye on solomid's website, as Theoddone (#3 olaf in the game) is going to put a Olaf guide up soon. Watch CLGaming's website as well, as Kobe24 (#2 olaf in the game) will start streaming soon. You may be lucky enough to see Lilballz (#1 olaf, the inventor of Brolaf) queue with bigfatjiji sometime on CLG's main stream, but that is highly unlikely as he doesn't play LoL anymore.