Guide to Gangplank the Pirate

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klazzix

Senior Member

02-05-2010

How to activate Sheen to work with Parrley is beyond me. Can you guys tell me more on how to?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PeRRaKoMaLo

Junior Member

02-05-2010

Just by using Parrrley sheen activates before the bullet hits the target, so when it hits it already has the bonus damage from sheenīs effect. Itīs a great item for Gangplank.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Klazzix

Senior Member

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRRaKoMaLo View Post
Just by using Parrrley sheen activates before the bullet hits the target, so when it hits it already has the bonus damage from sheenīs effect. Itīs a great item for Gangplank.
Thank you for this valuable information. Too bad Sheen doesn't crit.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swift Ghost

Senior Member

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnyFYASKO View Post
I think I can speak for him when I say because of your item build. It's pretty horrendous.

You're building him into a DPS when he really isn't. He has no survivability skills; the only CC ability he has is his ult which slows. He's a ranged support hero.

He really shines when you focus on his parrrley and ult. Also, Parrley damage is taken as MAGICAL damage. Thus, magic penetration items such as haunting guise and sorcerers boots are ideal... not berserks or black cleaver. It's great for raising attack damage overall, but other items can do that and much better.

Also, two avarice blades are a one trick pony most noobs do for Gangplanks. Simply because they delay more important item builds such as IE or frozen mallet.

AND, Nashor's teeth really? Really? AP scales poorly with Gang's ult and has no effect on parrrley. You can get better CD reduc items... frozen heart provides 25% cd reduc, +99 armor, +500 mana, AND reduces ASPD of enemy champs for only 400 more gold than nashor's teeth. With haunting guise that provides 35% cd reduc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that a full T3 crit chance rune page replaces two avarice blades, saving yourself 1.5k gold.
Ok I now get the picture of useless avarice blades. I'll edit that out.

Yi hasn't many survivability skills either but that doesn't stop him. I realise yi has more movement speed and remove EVERY slow compared to the one time remove scurvy but he can remove stun as well and PERMENANT increase in movement

For my build i didn't focus purely on parrley. I wanted my attacks and parrley to work together.

I haven't got any magic penatration things because, though you say he is ranged support, I still feel he can do lethal damage by allowing himself to go into combat. Parrley has a 6 second cooldown. If you had cooldown reduction thats makes it go down to 4 maybe. Sure, you can make each shot count by having magic pen but the fact is, he has an ability that is made stronger by attack items. You buy attack damage items then it would make sense to use his attack to give it more uses. I get 600damage crits from my attack as well. I'm not sure what Attack speed i end up with but lets say its 1.5p second. In 6 seconds I do 9 attacks AND one parrley, compared to just one buffed up parrley. 9 times 300 damage is 2700. That doesn't count any crits. In the case of armour, black clever comes in readily.

Nashors tooth? I'm not really relying on the AP. It's more the attack speed I want. It gives 25% cooldown reduction, just like frozen heart and the mana regen might come in handy but thats also a lesser aspect. Though Frozen heart would make sense to increase his survivalbility.

Now I'm not saying your build isn't viable. In fact, it probably is better than mine (you have very convincing reasons).

As for survivalbility, he has remove scurvey to remove CC, extra movement speed and lifesteal. Potentially, he is a Yi with a ranged attack.

Also do 2 cooldown reduction items stack? I though only 1 could be used at a time! I remember in one irrelevent game I had haunting guise and just bought frozen heart. I sold my haunting guise a few minutes later and my cooldown was reduced further. I might've just been seeing things but it looks to me onyl one works at a time and it happens to be whatever is first in your inventory.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ford

Member

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBombadil0220 View Post
Buying avarice blades on gang is a BAD idea, I rage on whoever does such an idiotic thing.
Telling us why you think avarice blades is a bad idea is generally more helpful than just raging. I personally love avarice blades on gangplank, I can keep them through most of the game adding a good deal of critical strike chance. In addition they give me a large amount of gold. I always get two avarice blades as my first 2 items. Then I get mana gem followed by a sheen.

My item build goes:
Avarice, Avarice, sheen, sorc boots (or basic boots and then finish them after infinity edge), infinity edge, phantom dancer (or blood thirster depending on if you have a lot of crit damage or not. If you have a lot of crit damage in runes (20% or more), go with the phantom dancer). Then blood thirster, triforce, and finally tiamat.

This gives you about 75% crit chance, huge damage, AoE on your parrrley, heal from your parrrley, and some nice dodge to avoid other gangplank parrrleys along with any melee characters.

Just whatever you do, don't get attack speed for the sake of attack speed. I've seen gangplanks with malady, berserkers greves, etc... phantom dancer is fine because it gives you about the highest % chance to crit of any item, which is the reason you're getting it


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gunsharp

Senior Member

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Telling us why you think avarice blades is a bad idea is generally more helpful than just raging. I personally love avarice blades on gangplank, I can keep them through most of the game adding a good deal of critical strike chance. In addition they give me a large amount of gold. I always get two avarice blades as my first 2 items. Then I get mana gem followed by a sheen.

My item build goes:
Avarice, Avarice, sheen, sorc boots (or basic boots and then finish them after infinity edge), infinity edge, phantom dancer (or blood thirster depending on if you have a lot of crit damage or not. If you have a lot of crit damage in runes (20% or more), go with the phantom dancer). Then blood thirster, triforce, and finally tiamat.

This gives you about 75% crit chance, huge damage, AoE on your parrrley, heal from your parrrley, and some nice dodge to avoid other gangplank parrrleys along with any melee characters.

Just whatever you do, don't get attack speed for the sake of attack speed. I've seen gangplanks with malady, berserkers greves, etc... phantom dancer is fine because it gives you about the highest % chance to crit of any item, which is the reason you're getting it
The problem I see with starting with Avarice blades is that the gold/10 isn't all that great (it's basically 1 creep kill every minute for an item that doesn't build into anything) and the crit chance is lower than a cloak of agility. If you are able to play effectively without a mana regen item, I would actually suggest skipping to Sheen->Sorc boots. That way you can still hit hard early, and your ult will also be strong at 6. It really pains me to see Gangplanks with no magic penetration since his primary teamplay aoe skill is rendered completely useless. During mid-game (6-15), Gangplank's ult is absolutely a game changer and turns the tides of battles.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

keftes

Recruiter

02-05-2010

Executioner's calling > Avarice any day

The dot from his passive and the exec calling's dot = painfull early game.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gunsharp

Senior Member

02-05-2010

I'm considering modifying my build to incorporate Exec's calling.

Guise->Sheen->boots->Exec's->IE

Do you think it would be worth delaying the IE since a cloak of agility & that 25 damage item of IE is somewhat similar to Exec's but they also build towards IE.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evernight

Senior Member

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinugundam View Post
From my experiment,I don't think sheen extra apply on parley
From your experiment - you're an idiot. Sheen applies its effect instantly to your shot - you don't even have to create the proc on it - it procs and applies all in one shot. Hence why so many pirates have sheen/tri-force

Oh and the OP's build is **** - you need spell pen.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mrtakeiteasy

Member

02-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Ghost View Post
Ok I now get the picture of useless avarice blades. I'll edit that out.

Yi hasn't many survivability skills either but that doesn't stop him. I realise yi has more movement speed and remove EVERY slow compared to the one time remove scurvy but he can remove stun as well and PERMENANT increase in movement

For my build i didn't focus purely on parrley. I wanted my attacks and parrley to work together.

I haven't got any magic penatration things because, though you say he is ranged support, I still feel he can do lethal damage by allowing himself to go into combat. Parrley has a 6 second cooldown. If you had cooldown reduction thats makes it go down to 4 maybe. Sure, you can make each shot count by having magic pen but the fact is, he has an ability that is made stronger by attack items. You buy attack damage items then it would make sense to use his attack to give it more uses. I get 600damage crits from my attack as well. I'm not sure what Attack speed i end up with but lets say its 1.5p second. In 6 seconds I do 9 attacks AND one parrley, compared to just one buffed up parrley. 9 times 300 damage is 2700. That doesn't count any crits. In the case of armour, black clever comes in readily.

Nashors tooth? I'm not really relying on the AP. It's more the attack speed I want. It gives 25% cooldown reduction, just like frozen heart and the mana regen might come in handy but thats also a lesser aspect. Though Frozen heart would make sense to increase his survivalbility.

Now I'm not saying your build isn't viable. In fact, it probably is better than mine (you have very convincing reasons).

As for survivalbility, he has remove scurvey to remove CC, extra movement speed and lifesteal. Potentially, he is a Yi with a ranged attack.

Also do 2 cooldown reduction items stack? I though only 1 could be used at a time! I remember in one irrelevent game I had haunting guise and just bought frozen heart. I sold my haunting guise a few minutes later and my cooldown was reduced further. I might've just been seeing things but it looks to me onyl one works at a time and it happens to be whatever is first in your inventory.

I like how your suggesting that Gangplank can be something other than a parrrlaying spammer in the background and running up and actually attacking. Almost every gangplank will agree that Parrrley is arguably his best skill and focus solely on that. Its not that its bad to just stay in the background parrrleying for awesome damage, its just that nothing really ends with it besides the fact your now considered just a burst nuke.

i believe that instead of focusing on the three BF swords, focus on the smaller things one at a time, but get 1 BF sword first. I'd get that, then get the small lifesteal, then finish up the IE.

Nashor's Tooth on gangplank = unique haha :], didn't see that one coming, but I can see what you mean...sort of haha