Let's be honest here...is Malphite OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Asylumseeker

02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Crazy R3t4rd View Post
I can easily lane against Malphite as Tristana. First trip back, I buy a negatron, some pots, and a ward. Next, I plant the ward and I push Malphite right to his turret so he can't cs properly. Then I immediately back off, and wait for the minions.
Yeh like everyone malph can be powerful but has there counter. I find kennen or vlad are awful to lane against with malph. The reason people think he is so overpowered is because they do stupid laning.

I think best example of this was i got laned solo top vs singed. He had no way to harass me and i just sat behind his minions keeping him from getting exp while i last hit creeps. Meant i got really fed and a power house.

Ive been against a kenne before that would basically hit me everytime with the passive shuriken then the lightning bolt thing. All i could do was back off and i couldnt farm properly making me have a worse late game. Just use a ranged character and go aggressive. If you play defensively against malph you are doomed.

DoransTroll

02-27-2011

I wouldn't say OP. He's a slightly squishier but higher damage Rammus. His damage is very high as far as a tank goes, but he's also pretty bad at saving his teammate's life. He's excellent in some comp, but he's not the end all, be all tank.

RoflTroll

02-27-2011

Cassiopeia is a pretty fun choice against Malph, her 825 range on Q and W makes her able to out range him easily, and because her poison lasts for a few seconds after the hit, it means there's a few more seconds he can't get his shield back.

With proper regen setup(Meki, or 2 Rings if you want more HP/damage on your Q) and some good timing on Q, you can actually spam level 1 Q forever with her.

A Wild Missingno

02-27-2011

Malph's 1-6 strategy, while powerful, is pretty obvious and easy to shut down by people who put the effort in. But no, people QQ about a champ being OP because playing defensively means switching up your runes/masteries/item build. The way I deal with Evelynn, for example, is by carrying one or two vision wards with me at all times. Drop them in team fights or use them as regular wards if you absolutely must. Yeah, it costs money, but so does being dead, not getting cs or improving your KDR. Malphite is strong, but you don't have to jump through too many hoops to mitigate his strong initiation game, e.g. don't stack auto-attack champs, buy defensive items (Banshee's is particularly good), and be alert in the laning phase; a good Malphite is going to try and Q you every chance he gets by level 4 or 5, then finish you off with R > E > Q > Exhaust and/or Ignite.

A Wild Missingno

02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouretoratto View Post
Malphite offers lots of flexibility, as he's an awesome solo laner, and can jungle really well. His biggest early game limit though, is his limited mana supply. You'll notice that all of the least successful malphites never do anything about their horrid mana count.
^ This. I get talented Clarity for mana. I like to purposefully burn all my mana out with heavy Q harass at 5, hit 6, use Clarity and ult on their face. Clarity is much more useful than Ignite when you play with people who can't contribute much in a team fight because they used all their mana to clear minions.

Lord Brewtality

02-27-2011

The main reason why people think Malph is OP is because he's very viable in the current metagame.

ubertappa

02-27-2011

I find soul shroud is great on malph, start of with mana manip, solves ur early mana issues, and he benefits from all the stats when its finished

Alreatha

02-27-2011

Lets just say , all tanks are OP (rammus,shen,malphite.mumu)

Degnared

02-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alreatha View Post
Lets just say , all tanks are OP (rammus,shen,malphite.mumu)
This. A decently played tank is worth more than any other champ except a fed carry... and who do you think helps get the carry fed in the first place? A tank has three huge things going for him: A) very hard to kill, B) ability to save teammates, and C) ability to cause massive disruption. Malphite is a little different, because he doesn't save his teammates with CC like amumu/shen/rammus, he saves them by being too big a threat to ignore.

I wouldn't say they're OP, exactly, because both teams should have a tank, but how many times does a team with all squishies come out on top against a team with a single tank?

Alreatha

02-27-2011

Well if ur considering all same skill lvl no tank team vs a single tank team. Its possible, just requires some major stradegy and communication (never have a teamfight) or not have a 5v5 teamfight.