Let's be honest here...is Malphite OP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ldfhndfjkndh

02-26-2011

*caution: long post

Recently, I have been getting a lot of krap for using Malphite. "He's so OP!! omg!" "there's a reason he's banned you knoww!!" I told them he wasn't, but I honestly didn't have any reasons for my statement, leading me to think...is he OP?

My main is Malphite, and I have a 76% win rate with him in ranked. I pretty much dominate every game I play, especially early and late game. And even when my team utterly sucks and we lose before the 30 minute mark, I still manage to pull off a decent score.

But personal experiences aside, here's what I think. Note that I refer to a laning Malphite.

First off, unlike many other tanks, his early game is simply GOD.
-He farms extremely well, especailly for a tank, and can get that first Thornmail he desperately needs to counter that Tryndamere much quicker than, say, Shen.
-One of the best harassers. Hands down. Passive makes him nearly unharassable. Stick a Meki Pendant on him and you're automatically zoned. I often find myself in a 1v2 top lane where I'm nearly full health and both enemies are under 40% and ready to get ganked.
-First blood is almost a guarantee for him. He has rather high base attack, his Q is a relatively powerful slow, and with his shield he effectively has over 700 health (800 if you start with a Doran's item).
-He can burst an enemy for half their health as soona s he reaches level 6. No other tank, other than Cho'gath, can do that.
-Same, if not better, late game performance as his fellow tanks, except he has the early game of a caster, making him potentially imbalanced.

Massive. Massive. Massive AoE damage. Even without a single offensive item your full combo will do incredible amounts of damage. Most people say Malphite's the best initiator in the game due to his knockup, but I think it's because of his damage. 1000+ AoE damage is nothing to joke about, then follow up with a slow-nuke to screw over the enemy squishy.

Basically, Malphite's powerful in every regard. I've used him for a while now, and he doesn't really have any glaring weak points. His only disadvantage is that he's incredibly team reliant, and communication with the team is very important, but that's not actually part of the champ. He has no 'kryptonite,' like stun is to Master Yi, or Madred's is to Cho'gath.

Thoughts?

Prometheius

02-26-2011

Unharassable? Maybe if your enemies are bad. Pretty **** easy to harass for me when lots of skills go over his pitiful 625 pixel range or even just walk out of a bush, use ranged auto, walk back in. Can't hit me unless he smart casts his skills.

Weak points? Massive Mana consumption and small AOE radius. Also no hard CC outside ult and heavily reliant on his ult for combat.

Kryptonite? Sustained Damage with a slow and Mres. Or even just someone grabbing a Wit's End to wipe out his mana stupidly fast.

His early game burst? If tanks had 3 burst damage skills, they'd be hitting the same amount too.

Malphite's not even a tank in the first place, so why compare him to them? He's a Bulky caster. That's his job. He jumps in and kills the enemy carry. He doesn't protect his team.

Massive AOE damage? MRes. 1/2 damage gone from just Merc Treads + Bveil, which EVERY player worth their salt should already have incorporated into their build somewhere. Only exceptions would be for Boots 3, Boots 5, Sorc, and Ionian.

Thoughts? Malphite does his job. His job is to take out the carry and survive. That's it. No more, no less. He can't tank. He can damage soak, but he won't be protecting his team using awesome CC.

Sacull Kinslayer

02-26-2011

Any hero can be OP in the right hands.

Kalshazzak

02-26-2011

No, just get a little MR early on while keeping a decent supply of pots. The fact that his AoE spells scale off different stats keeps him from being a great burster.

He's only really strong against heavy auto-attacking teams that clump on their target. BV also makes his life harder by reducing his burst, and reducing his initiation range/effectiveness.(BV is his kryptonite)

The only reason he's banned is because people are too lazy/ignorant to attempt to counter him, or the captain doesn't want a possible poor team-mate to feed an enemy malph.

The easiest way to play against him is ward the river, and push him under his tower. That way his mana goes to creep clearing instead of harass.

LCS Dyrus

02-26-2011

Malphite is just as overpowered as garen or Vladimir. When people scream "OP!" it's because they're whiners who have no clue how to counter a problem that they face. Truth be told, just go with some generic antitank tools like Sword of the Divine and you should be able to eat up Malphite pretty fast.

I like malphite because he's an awesome farmer, and can take simply insane amounts of abuse, and always be ready for more. By level 10, I can eat up 4 turret shots with nothing but granite skin. Malphite laughs at damage, and has a 100% winrate against teams that go full physical. With his slam and ultimate, he can seriously disrupt entire teams, all by himself. Yi isn't that scary with a -50% attack speed buff. Just saying.

Malphite offers lots of flexibility, as he's an awesome solo laner, and can jungle really well. His biggest early game limit though, is his limited mana supply. You'll notice that all of the least successful malphites never do anything about their horrid mana count.

He's a great tank and anticarry, but like all champions, he's not perfect or anything.It strikes me as being really unfair to call him overpowered. What's next, Vladimir and Karthus are both too powerful? OMG PENTAKILL HAX! Only nublets scream "overpowered!"

Stress Free Team

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2011

how comparable is amumu to mal? i think amumu has more aoe damage/a better ult but what makes malphite better in ranked?

Marone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiediesel View Post
how comparable is amumu to mal? i think amumu has more aoe damage/a better ult but what makes malphite better in ranked?
Different rolls really, non-comparable.

Booterang

02-26-2011

Malphite has a very powerful early game role. He absolutely shuts down any form of auto attack based dps. He gets far weaker as the game progresses however because he lacks true CC as a tank.

Lifeless Eyes

02-27-2011

I can easily lane against Malphite as Tristana. First trip back, I buy a negatron, some pots, and a ward. Next, I plant the ward and I push Malphite right to his turret so he can't cs properly. Then I immediately back off, and wait for the minions.

Wra7h

02-27-2011

He can harass unpunished early game thanks to his shield. His ult ensures a kill for his team almost every time. He is extremely powerful vs AD carries by reducing their MS and AS but also doing quite high dmg.
Yeah, he is OP.