Next patch will give us shorter games + low IP due to new system?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakk087 View Post
Except the IP gain over time will be th-

Yanno, I just really don't care to continue trying to point out things that people aren't gonna bother listening to. :U
I feel the same way.

No matter how many times you say it, nobody looks at the big picture. They just see each individual game.

EtherMage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-26-2011

If the average game time goes lower, they have to change the IP gain formula so it breaks even with the old system sooner. Right now it's like 38 min, which is waayy too much if the game time goes down.

Ownpaylol

02-26-2011

Game ends faster, you can play another game sooner.

Gøggles

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownpaylol View Post
Game ends faster, you can play another game sooner.
Yup, a short 60 IP game. Then in an an hour or so you can make 120 IP. WHAT A DEAL!

Byakk087

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbid View Post
I don't think you understand that a lot of short games worth 70 IP is worse then a lot of short games worth 100 IP.

A lot of short games is more probable now with what they're trying to do.
Except that two games running approximately 30 minutes and netting ~70IP are roughly equivlant to one 60 minute game netting ~140IP (the max gain as stated by Riot for any one game), provided you win both games. But, even if all of the games in question are losses, it still averages out to the same total IP gain for time invested.

The only time you're going to encounter a difference (over time) is when you get into situations where you're not able to consistently win or lose - a 30 minute win and a 30 minute loss are going to, obviously, net out to less IP then a 60 minute win. That's common sense.

The system was changed because under the old system, you had no reason whatsoever to get a game out to 60 minutes. Every minute you played beyond 40 minutes (the average provided by Riot that the new system is modeled under - I don't have any objective data to suggest this is incorrect, and am thus not really willing to speculate on that matter) contributed to a net loss (often times significant) in IP. Every minute under 40 also gave you a net gain (again, sometimes significant). Which wasn't exactly fair to the people playing at the average, and certainly not that fair to people at the high end of game times.

System changes, and with it allowed the possibility of other game modes going forward without having to mess with the base system that much (Twisted Treeline had it's penalty removed, as an example - and that's a good thing). Over time, the IP gain should be more fair across the board when factoring in play time.

I'm not even sure how this is a hard concept for people to grasp - all of the people kvetching about playing only a small amount of games likewise confuse me. And I'm lucky to get in 3 a day myself.

But, honestly, go ahead and keep complaining. I fully expect poor counter-arguments and shifting of the proverbial goal posts on the issue, because HOLY MUFFINS, CHANGE IS BAD! ESPECIALLY WHEN I DON'T DIRECTLY BENEFIT!

>|

KoreanDishWasher

02-26-2011

Riot was clever. They made the IP gain 'acceptable' by most, now they're shortening the length of games so we don't get as much. Interesting.

Byakk087

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreanDishWasher View Post
Riot was clever. They made the IP gain 'acceptable' by most, now they're shortening the length of games so we don't get as much. Interesting.
It's almost like they can't tweak the system if they don't like the IP gain rate or something.

Oh wait.

>|

Tibrogargan

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBleeze View Post
Yeah, that's MY problem. I play MAYBE 2-3 games a day.
Hey think of it this way, now you might be able to fit in 3-4 games in the same time? 2-3 games PER DAY is actually a lot, probably more than most.

This change does sound like it may screw with some champs that rely on lategame pwnage though...

Kurosaki00

02-26-2011

I play around 10 games a week lately
I wont really complain
yes I will gain IP slower
But I cant demand to gain as much as IP as someone that dedicates more time than me to the game.
Just not fair to them.

Tricolor

02-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibrogargan View Post
Hey think of it this way, now you might be able to fit in 3-4 games in the same time? 2-3 games PER DAY is actually a lot, probably more than most.

This change does sound like it may screw with some champs that rely on lategame pwnage though...
and get ~240 ip for all those 4 matches....where u would get at least 400 with the old system

\o/