Laning, and things to keep in mind (that i see done wrong every day)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toros

02-25-2011

While i count my blessings that i don't regularly see leavers in my games, I am often astounded by the inability of some people to do basic duo laning. Solo laning is much more champ specific, and honestly easier, so this post is a mini-guide for things that you want to keep in mind in a duo.

Some basics:

Auto-attacking:

Don't ever, ever, (you get the point), just sit and auto-attack minions. It pushes the lane, and you don't last hit as well.

If I'm laning with someone auto-attacking, i'm first going to ask them to stop doing that, and then i'm going to steal as many last hits as possible from them.

Lane control:

If you have a stronger lane comp, you're going to want to harass the enemy laners (if you have poke), hit them with burst (if you have CC that they let you use on them), and attempt to zone them out of xp and gold.

If you're zoning the enemies out of xp, congrats.

DO NOT PUSH THE LANE. LAST HIT ONLY.

You ideally want the minion wave just outside of your tower range, with the enemy champs well out of xp range. Camp the bushes so they have difficulty retaliating, and sit on your advantage as much as possible.

However, you should also learn to last hit under the turret.

It's slightly more difficult, and if you build significant damage items early, your mileage will vary, but as a general rule:

Melee minions: two turret shots and then an auto attack

Caster minions: auto attack, turret shot, auto attack

As with anything else, learning to compensate for minion damage, and timing your attacks correctly just takes practice.

Sometimes, it's better not to waste your mana harassing (if they're out-healing/regenerating your damage), and just focus on last hitting.

Priorities (in order)

1) Staying in XP range
2) Last hitting
3) Interfering with enemy last hits
4) Interfering with enemy XP gain.

Getting kills is really nice, but sending an enemy champ back to spawn via harass is nearly as good.

-Don't tower dive unless you're assured both a kill and not to have to blue pill after.

Why? Staying in the lane soaking xp and gold is much better a use of your time versus walking back to spawn.

Bushes:

Rule number 1: Stop facechecking them.

Rule number 2: See rule number 1

Rule number 3: wards are your friend, and the 75 gold that prevents you from getting killed is more than worth the 3 minions you'll get while you're not dead.

There are 2 main situations where pushing the lane is acceptable. Others exist, but for someone new (or noob) to the game, this is enough.

1) opportunity to severely damage the tower (taking out 25% or more of it's max health) with little to no risk.

2) Winning the lane so severely that you're going to force the tower down without the enemy champs being able to mount an effective counter attack. (remember to keep the jungler in mind when you're pushing)

Avoid trading kills. It does several things you don't want.

A) it's sloppy.
B) all the kill trading is reducing the advantage the solo lanes (who aren't likely getting kills) are getting.

If everyone in bot dies once, that's 1200-1300 extra gold being poured in the lane. It's artificially reducing the advantage the solo top and mid have in gold.

You don't want that. You want your carry fat and happy and everyone else gold-starved. (as in, no free kills floating around for the enemy team)

Skillshots: Please have some practice aiming any non-targeted abilities before starting a game. If i had a nickel for every time i saw people missing easy skillshots, every skin would be paid for.

Did i mention wards? I need to mention them again. They're that important.

Non-lane section (Work in progress)

Jungling:

If you have someone who can solo, having a jungler is an immense advantage to your team. Controlling buffs and dragon, as well as ganking is huge in the early/mid game.

Everyone should have a solid jungler who they have practiced jungling with several times before trying it in a real game. Good choices are nunu and warwick for people who are just learning to jungle.

ALWAYS TAKE SMITE ON A JUNGLER.

Some champs can clear the jungle without smite, without dying. However, not taking smite means any good jungler is going to bend you over, and then steal dragon and baron at some point in the game.

Having smite to execute blue and red will make it much more difficult for anyone to steal them from you (You will not enjoy this when it happens)

Losing blue and the xp is going to set you back a while and make it much more difficult to jungle.

Defensive masteries (1-16-13) and flat armor seals are standard on most junglers. Some people prefer a full attack speed page, but until you get to where you're playing with really good opponents, it's better to be more durable and a little slower.

Toros

02-25-2011

Bumping because it's already halfway through the second page.

Also, i want feedback if i've missed anything.

Delirus

02-25-2011

Good info. I wish everyone would read this at least once and let it soak in.

Toros

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirus View Post
Good info. I wish everyone would read this at least once and let it soak in.
Thanks. I tend to duo most games as either a tank or a support, and most of the work i do is preventing my teammate from dying from not using the concepts above.

Sometimes my lane partner is good, and then it turns into a wonderful roflstomp.

Norwazy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-25-2011

jungling without smite

Toros

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwazy View Post
jungling without smite
Good point. It's not laning per se, but at least as important as anything i have up there.

Trollmanship

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2011

>Our team has no jungler
>Pick Alistar
>Go top
>Their top immediately runs away when he sees me come out of the bushes at him and won't even risk coming into exp range
>MY ****ING LANE PARTNER STARTS ATTACKING MINIONS

EVERY ****ING TIME
RAAAAAAGEEEEEEEE

nivekuil

02-25-2011

"never auto attack minions" is quite extreme and can be a bad play. Ideally you want to keep the creep line as close to your turret as possible, without actually being in the range of the turret. Letting the creeps go in range of the turret robs you of last hits and makes the turret take damage. You'll also want to push the lane hard if you need to back.

Tuskani

02-25-2011

1 or 2 of my friends that I play with still auto attack. So god **** frustrating that they won't drop the habit, no matter how many times i ask them too. T.T

RadMage

02-25-2011

;-; i have this every game i lane with some one they push to no end. i cry cause of all the lost gold. i buy a ward, my lane partner ignores it. my lane partner facechecks bush's i stay behind only to get wtf''d at cause i didnt go with them. or my lane partner has a good projectile to hurl at them and harass with... they dont use it. sometimes i lane and my partner doesnt even buy potions. worst of all i allways have lane partners thinking that trading kills with the enemy is good cause im left alone with something like kassadin or pantheon while poor lil trist/ who ever else i like to play get harassed to no end.