A small support champion rant

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Teganze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2011

I played Amumu and Rammus for a bit and was doing pretty good.

Then I switched to Sona and Soraka because to be honest, playing as pure a support/healer role as possible is what I enjoy. Unfortunately, I write this fresh out of an extremely disheartening and rage-inducing 2 wins out of 11 games played today (notably, I lost the last 5 games in a row). The last 2 days, I was winning about 50% of the games with Soraka/Sona, so I was feeling pretty good - today's games just seem so inexplicably BAD.

The people in the post-game chat tell me I should just not play Soraka/Sona, which makes me mad because the last game had an Irelia on the enemy team who fed soooo much and we STILL lost.

And nobody on my team or the enemy's thought we played particularly bad - they just feel that the impact that the champions I like have on a battle are quite minimal. Ironically, I seem to win more with Sona than I do with Soraka, even though people here seem to say that Soraka is better.

I'm at my wit's end - I love playing healing support classes, but the dedicated ones (as opposed to Champions with an incidental healing power) just don't seem to be any good, and the matchmaking system still puts me in situations where I lose even when I've already lost such a heavy majority of games :[.

I'll probably switch back to playing Tank champions and only use Sona occassionally, but I really do hope that the folks at Riot give some love to the Healing Support niche (they obviously do understand it otherwise they wouldn't have made Soraka and Sona in the first place).

Just felt like writing that because it's been a frustrating day for LoL :[.

Chipper

02-25-2011

Play Janna

Teganze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2011

I do like support, but the thing is that I only really like 2 types of support - healing, and tanking. Of the two, healing is my favourite, but I'll probably try out a tank I haven't tried yet. :]

How's Kayle? On paper, she sounds like she'd suit me since she is tanky and has support for teammates in the form of Divine Blessing and Intervention. I'm a little wary though, because both of those are reactive abilities, and I feel that offensive abilities that give you the initiative instead of having to react to what your opponents do are generally stronger.

I know she's cheap to buy, and I'll probably just do so, but I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts anyway :].

WalkingOnWater

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teganze View Post
I'm at my wit's end
*puts on sunglasses*

YEEEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH

kaminarukuzu

02-25-2011

Play Janna, Taric for pure support and Zilean for nuker into supporter

Peebear

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teganze View Post
I do like support, but the thing is that I only really like 2 types of support - healing, and tanking. Of the two, healing is my favourite, but I'll probably try out a tank I haven't tried yet. :]

How's Kayle? On paper, she sounds like she'd suit me since she is tanky and has support for teammates in the form of Divine Blessing and Intervention. I'm a little wary though, because both of those are reactive abilities, and I feel that offensive abilities that give you the initiative instead of having to react to what your opponents do are generally stronger.

I know she's cheap to buy, and I'll probably just do so, but I'd like to hear peoples' thoughts anyway :].
Kayle is an ass-saver but also does crazy dmg. She's more a carry than support

Callinectes

02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaminarukuzu View Post
Play Janna, Taric for pure support and Zilean for nuker into supporter
Why would Riot put Soraka and Sona into the game if these other support champions are just SO much better? Or, why not bother changing them so they're at least viable?

NeonSpotlight

02-25-2011

Healing support hurts this game in a pretty bad way as it mellows out the laning phase (and sometimes beyond) by removing attrition leading to frustration.

You should have been around for all the Sona's OP QQ threads or the threads about Soraka when her and Heimer were the fotms.

oogabuga

Goodnight PanPan

02-25-2011

sona and soraka were at one point much stronger than they are now