DPS Shen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Something Snazzy

02-23-2011

If you want a tanky character with some dps, try Taric. An early chalice helps with laning. Phantom dancer lets him utilize the damage and armor pen he gets from his ult and W. With decent damage and a chalice, he can steal and regen enough mana to keep his ult up for quite a while and his ult gives some insane health regen. After those two items, build whatever typical tank items that help your team or counter your opponents. Late game, a frozen mallet isn't a bad idea either.

The beauty about a semi dps Taric is that it doesn't hurt his ability to tank that much, since added damage means more mana steal, which means more ult, which means health regen and damage, which means more mana steal... well, you get the idea. Plus, some extra damage really helps him farm, so he isn't stuck relying on a heart of gold.

GhostDieM

02-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Snazzy View Post
If you want a tanky character with some dps, try Taric. An early chalice helps with laning. Phantom dancer lets him utilize the damage and armor pen he gets from his ult and W. With decent damage and a chalice, he can steal and regen enough mana to keep his ult up for quite a while and his ult gives some insane health regen. After those two items, build whatever typical tank items that help your team or counter your opponents. Late game, a frozen mallet isn't a bad idea either.

The beauty about a semi dps Taric is that it doesn't hurt his ability to tank that much, since added damage means more mana steal, which means more ult, which means health regen and damage, which means more mana steal... well, you get the idea. Plus, some extra damage really helps him farm, so he isn't stuck relying on a heart of gold.
I've played taric but with dps he isn't tanky enough for my tastes. Building him tank/support makes him a great asset but without a good team you're pretty much screwed So been there done that haha

Jebbou

02-23-2011

I was playing around with the idea of building Shen with Warmogs, F.Mallet and Atma's impaler, thinking there would be a great synergy with his passive. I have not tried it, since I realized it would work so much better with Cho (gets high HP naturally) or Garen (naturally 300 more HP at level 18, Atma's crit improve his spin dmg output and crit works with his Silence Slash). It would also be very expensive to setup, with a less than impressive damage boost, and almost no resistances and Armor Penetration.

I guess any tank can be built into a half tank of sorts, but none of Shen's active abilities can improve his damage output, and he does not scale much with AP. So AP Dps does not seem an option either, unless going Lich Bane and again, other champs have abilities that work better with this. AP Tank might work, but then it's not a DPSer =)

The "Magic Damage + Speed" should work well, even when there's a few other champs who can naturally attack faster (like Teemo, Sivir or Nidalee) or have abilities to further improve attack speed, damage or effects (Teemo, Yi, Twisted Fate, Olaf). All in all, Shen has absolutely NO ability to support such a build, other than his "above average" attack speed, et he's so short ranged that you must invest in defense, while you could invest in more damage or speed with other ranged champs.

I wished the "cooldown" of Shen's passive would scale with Level, something like 8,7,6. Then he would be much more reliable for a DPS approach. Until then, I would rather stick with a Tank Shen =)

GhostDieM

02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebbou View Post
I was playing around with the idea of building Shen with Warmogs, F.Mallet and Atma's impaler, thinking there would be a great synergy with his passive. I have not tried it, since I realized it would work so much better with Cho (gets high HP naturally) or Garen (naturally 300 more HP at level 18, Atma's crit improve his spin dmg output and crit works with his Silence Slash). It would also be very expensive to setup, with a less than impressive damage boost, and almost no resistances and Armor Penetration.

I guess any tank can be built into a half tank of sorts, but none of Shen's active abilities can improve his damage output, and he does not scale much with AP. So AP Dps does not seem an option either, unless going Lich Bane and again, other champs have abilities that work better with this. AP Tank might work, but then it's not a DPSer =)

The "Magic Damage + Speed" should work well, even when there's a few other champs who can naturally attack faster (like Teemo, Sivir or Nidalee) or have abilities to further improve attack speed, damage or effects (Teemo, Yi, Twisted Fate, Olaf). All in all, Shen has absolutely NO ability to support such a build, other than his "above average" attack speed, et he's so short ranged that you must invest in defense, while you could invest in more damage or speed with other ranged champs.

I wished the "cooldown" of Shen's passive would scale with Level, something like 8,7,6. Then he would be much more reliable for a DPS approach. Until then, I would rather stick with a Tank Shen =)
Yea it's more of an experiment on my part to see if it works, I tried the AP/AS build and it's not bad damage wise but you go down pretty fast. Judging by what happened I think AP tank might be the best way to go to boost his feint, ult and vorpal and still have some tankyness. Thinking something along the lines of sorc boots, rylai's, abyssal scepter,sunfire, hourglass and maybe spirit visage for increased healing from vorpal and some life and bonus MR.

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2011

To me, a Rylais + abyssal sceptor already do very good damage for shen(not to mention the extra points in shields).

Shen does more damage when he is being hit by over 4 champions so his ki strike (100base at lv18 + 3.5% of his max. hp) rape squishies' faces with ~200 per hit + 100ad + 40magic damage per second from sunfire + vorpal blades(max cdr = 1.8s per throw for around 300-400 damage).

FaerellG

02-24-2011

I would think that a DPS shen would want Rageblade. The spammable Q combined with dash and auto attacks could mean for a world of hurt. Ironically, spamming W should also increase your AP and AS...which will increase the amount of shield you get and the amount of damage you deal at the same time.

Epok67

02-24-2011

ok idk about AD shen but i have seen a succesful ap one.. he had the **** mejais soulstealer and some other stuff and he just pwnd got the thing all the way up to 20 and it was gg...

i would try stacking rylais for both thr ap and the health.. his passive does more damage with the more health he has.. taunt and q would be the key to his succes

GhostDieM

02-24-2011

I have the following build now which worked pretty well:

Regrowth Pendant + pot
Sorc boots
Abyssal Scepter
Rylai’s
Sunfire Cape
Zhonya’s hourglass or Spirit Visage (whichever more mitigation you need)

Zhonya’s hourglass or Spirit Visage

And yes I know regrowth pendant doesn't build into anything in this build but I love it so much in the laning phase I can't resist And end-game you can always sell it for SV or Zhonya's.
This build gives you enough hp and mitigation while boosting your AP and you have a nice slow from Rylai's. Will play some more games to see if it holds up.

GhostDieM

02-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epok67 View Post
i would try stacking rylais for both thr ap and the health.. his passive does more damage with the more health he has.. taunt and q would be the key to his succes
Stacking Rylai's might be fun but you'll need some mitigation (MR and armor) to stay alive. With just hp I'm afraid you'll melt at the first sight of a Bloodrazor