DPS Shen?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostDieM

02-22-2011

Before you insta-hit the downvote button please hear me out:

I realise Shen is supposed to be played as a tank and I do play him as that to (on average) great succes. But in a bout of inspiration I came up with no less then 2 tanky dps build's for him yesterday and I'm going to try them after I'm don with work. Now my question is what are the pro's and cons on a dps build in general on Shen and between the 2 different builds and why? The builds I came up with are:

AD DPS

Regrowth pendant + pot
Boots
Phage
Merc’s
Dagger
Negatron cloak or Chain mail
Frozen Mallet
Sword of the Divine
FoN or Thornmail

Last Whisper (or Bloodthirster, not sure which one to get)
FoN or Thorn
mail (whichever I didn't get)

AP DPS
Regrowth pendant + pot
Boots
Phage
Merc’s or Sorc boots
Dagger
Negatron cloak or Chain mail
Frozen Mallet
Bloodrazor

FoN or Thornmail
Malady
FoN or Thornmail

The last one I fleshed out early this morning so it might have some more flaws.

For runes:

Magic pen or armor pen Marks
Energy regen p/l Seals (I use both Shen and Kennen so it's worth it for me)
Cd red Glyphs
For Quints I was thinking increased movement speed, that coupled with FM's perm slow and FoN's movespeed and your taunt means you can 'stick' to targets.

Masteries: standard 9/21/0

Thanks very much, DieM

Edit: Changed the builds in a way that I have a standard core build and from there choose either option. Also added runes and masteries.
Second edit: The AD DPS build is worthless since it doesn't put out enough damage to make a dent in anything but bots so that's scrapped. The AP DPS build works but makes you rather squishy, might be fun for a pub stomp or something
Last build I came up with is tanky AP which works fine so far, going to keep testing it for consistent results. The build is now this:

Regrowth Pendant + pot
Sorc boots
Abyssal Scepter
Rylai’s
Sunfire Cape
Zhonya’s hourglass or Spirit Visage (whichever more mitigation you need)

Zhonya’s hourglass or Spirit Visage

The reason I got SV is mainly for the bonus MR, the other stats just have nice synergy (bonus hp + increased heal from Vorpal) making it the most useful MR item except for maybe FoN which is recommended when they have a high AP burst team. I think the rest is self explanatory

Medusa

02-22-2011

It can be quite viable. I have been playing around with the same idea. Though mine is a bit different.

It goes Madred's Razors__Sorc Shoes__Wit's End__Malady__Madred's Bloodrazor__Abyssal Scepter__Sunfire Cape.

As you can see, focused around the On-hit magic items/AS/Mpen and reduction.

I like Sunfire, cause it gives a good amount of HP and the passive works with how this type Shen is played. Also his Taunt is nice to force them to take dmg from Sunfire.

Runes and masteries included leave me at 184 Armor and 154 MR, quite tanky still.

GhostDieM

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anivias Chosen View Post
It can be quite viable. I have been playing around with the same idea. Though mine is a bit different.

It goes Madred's Razors__Sorc Shoes__Wit's End__Malady__Madred's Bloodrazor__Abyssal Scepter__Sunfire Cape.

As you can see, focused around the On-hit magic items/AS/Mpen and reduction.

I like Sunfire, cause it gives a good amount of HP and the passive works with how this type Shen is played. Also his Taunt is nice to force them to take dmg from Sunfire.

Runes and masteries included leave me at 184 Armor and 154 MR, quite tanky still.
Wow nice that looks like it would work great as well, makes good use of the sunfire cape and abyssal scepter. However I find Wit's End to be a bit situational but I might be wrong on this.

Medusa

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostDieM View Post
Wow nice that looks like it would work great as well, makes good use of the sunfire cape and abyssal scepter. However I find Wit's End to be a bit situational but I might be wrong on this.
Well Wit's End still does the dmg even to non mana user's so i think its a pretty decent choice.

kwjnfkjsdg

02-22-2011

sounds alright but what makes dps shen different from any other gimmicky dps build? unlike rammus or possibly malphite , he has nothing that actually contributes to his dps.

but if you really wanna go thru with this, trinity force is a great idea for dps shen. lead in with vorpal blade and a sheen proc'd autoattack for mild burst, then keep chasing.

the only other viable way to build an offensive shen is AP tank. i actually use this build seriously and extensively, and it works well.

but just know that everything about shen screams tank and it just doesn't work to build him as dps; the point of being dps is to NOT get hit, while the whole strategy of shen revolves around him GETTING hit. so..

GhostDieM

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjnfkjsdg View Post
sounds alright but what makes dps shen different from any other gimmicky dps build? unlike rammus or possibly malphite , he has nothing that actually contributes to his dps.

but if you really wanna go thru with this, trinity force is a great idea for dps shen. lead in with vorpal blade and a sheen proc'd autoattack for mild burst, then keep chasing.

the only other viable way to build an offensive shen is AP tank. i actually use this build seriously and extensively, and it works well.

but just know that everything about shen screams tank and it just doesn't work to build him as dps; the point of being dps is to NOT get hit, while the whole strategy of shen revolves around him GETTING hit. so..
True, however his passive gives him some decent burst with FM and building Thornmail makes you want to get hit while laying on the hurt yourself. Add a FoN to the mix and you can take some punishment while dishing it out. You can still use your ult to save your teammates and Feint will let you tank some initial burst which leads me think Shen can pull it off. Just gotta be sure to tell your teammates you're not the primary tank haha But that's why I'm curious to other people's opinions on this because I do realise he IS a tank and not a DPS

GhostDieM

02-23-2011

Oh look a nice tasty bumpsicle

Zagurim

02-23-2011

If you want tanky DPS I think there are other champions that can do a lot better but for a random normal game DPS Shen could be fun. Personnally I would work in Stark's Fervor somehow. That way even if your DPS is ineffective or you have to shift to full tank role you have an aura that can benefit your team.

GhostDieM

02-23-2011

Hmm well I just tried my proposed DPS build and it sucks haha Going to try the Bloodrazor/AP build now and see how that works out.

GhostDieM

02-23-2011

Ok just tried AP/AS/Tank Shen based greatly on Chosen's build and that worked pretty great. I switched the Wit's end for Rylai's for extra HP and the slow:

AP Shen
Boots + pots
Madred's Razors
Sorc Shoes
Malady
Abyssal Scepter

Rylai’s
Sunfire Cape
Madred’s Razor

Didn't get as far as the Sunfire cape but I already had enough dam and over 100 armor and MR without sunfire complete. Also had over 2,2k hp.
I used magic pen marks and glyphs. Going to try this build next against live opponents and see how it goes