Simple Amumu Observation/Question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sandling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

As an, almost non-stop Amumu player, I've been wondering something about his role/defition.

Given Amumu is considered a Tank, even by LoL itself tagwise, I was wondering what makes Amumu actually qualify to 'be' a tank.

None of his abilities seem to really have a synnergy with his role as being defensive (Yeah ok, a 2/4/6/8/10 reduction passive but c'mon), instead all of the abilities are control and offensive abilities (Roots, Stuns, AoE)

Any single champion could set their masteries, rune pages to a defensive/tank setup, and start loading up on gear to be 'tough as nails' (Relatively speaking that is, and obviously not a good choice on some champions). But on Amumu it mostly feels like this setup is more a neccesity to make him work rather then it complimenting his role.

Wouldn't it make more sense for a tank to actually have a proper form of defense build in somehow so that it actually feels rewarding to have such a setup, and be able to sustain damage better?

Thoughts and input please.

nivekuil

02-22-2011

Tanks in LoL are also called initiators.

Arinnarina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

The stun gives him a small amount of control to protect his team's carry. He is a great initiator so he needs to be able to take a beating. If thats not enough, his W basically scales with time. The longer he is alive inside your team, the more damage he will do. The same can be pretty much on is E for when he takes a few stray hits.

Noperative

02-22-2011

It's not his synergy with being a tank. It's his synergy as the tank on an AOE team. He can initiate practically whenever he wants and his ultimate has almost perfect timing and range to mesh the AOE of his teammates. The idea behind him being a tank is that he allows his team to ace the other in a matter of seconds, so there is no need to protect his teammates . He just needs to be able to survive until the AOE rapes the other team, hence defensive items.

AnyOtherEnemy

02-22-2011

As has been stated before he needs to survive damage after initiating, and secondly his biggest potential source of damage is Despair, which scales with how long he can stay alive.

Arecanderu

02-22-2011

once I read that a tank needs an skill to make the oponent focus him, or pay for not doing that, his W will wreak the full team if he lives long enough, so if the oponent doesn´t focus him, they´ll lose a % of their HP per second, if they focus him, he´s doing his job as a tank.

I didn´t get it at the begining, then I read that, and I understood and now he´s my main tank/jungler =)

Sandling

02-22-2011

I love playing him, and I understand he's a great initiator with a great setup of abilities, but I can't really think of any other initiator/tank champion that doesn't at least have a form of protection/resistance to aid in ensuring they can sustain a bit more damage (Correct me on this if I'm wrong though).

I guess to me the problem mostly lies in that when I play, I feel that I can't do a lot as Amumu in early game trough lack of gear, and especially if the oppossing team is making things quite tough, causing me to need to head all over the place in aid of my team, yet failing to do a lot given I don't have the proper defensive setup yet to truly 'do my role well' (without dying).

For a champion who needs to be close and is build around trying to be admitst the core of a teamfight, he is incredibly squishy. Even with gear for lacking defense abilities.

Minrog

02-22-2011

You're glorifying the initiation and survivability aspects of tanking.

The most important piece of tanking in PVP is being able to peel people off your DPS. That's why Mordekaiser sucks as a tank. Once an enemy Olaf / Cho'Gath jumps onto your Corki, the team dps is gone (even if he just kites he still does no damage). You gotta be able to pull em off the Corki somehow and give him the time he needs to take the other team out.