Speedy Ryze

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Destromas

01-30-2010

This is a sort of guide on how I play Ryze. It's not going to be huge or anything special, just a quick rundown of how I play Ryze, which is not always successful, but typically VERY FUN.

Masteries: Standard Cooldown Reduction 9-0-21
--Offense: 3% Reduced Cooldowns, AP/Level, 15% Spell Penetration
--Utility: Mana Regen, Move Speed, 6% Reduced Cooldowns, Improved Flash, Improved Ghost, Presence of the Master

Runes (Ordered by my preference):
Red: Insight (Spell Penetration)
Yellow: Vitality (HP/Level), OR Clarity (MP/5 per Level), OR Focus (Flat Cooldown Reduction)
Blue: Focus (Flat Cooldown Reduction)
Quintessence: Swiftness (Move Speed) OR Focus (Flat Cooldown Reduction) OR Insight (Spell Penetration)

Summoner Spells - Flash & Ghost

--------------------------------
Game Time!

~Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Potion~
Lane with a partner, don't solo. Take either Overload or Spell Flux first, they're cheap and you can harass effectively. You can try for last hits, buti t's not always easy, and your focus should be on harassment. If you have one champion in your lane, take Overload and harass. If you have two that stay together a lot, take Spell Flux first. Either way, you should have both at level 2.

As soon as you have level 3, you should take your first rank of Rune Prison and you have your spell trifecta. If you did a good job of harassing enemy champions, they're at low health and you can drop all three spells, and if your lanemate is useful at all, you'll get a kill. Level 4 and 5 should go towards rune prison as well.

Try not to go back to the fountain/shop until you have at least 1000 gold.
~Boots of Mobility~
Boots of mobility let you run all around the map with 450-ish movement speed. You can now gank and have the move speed to surprise the enemy with a snare + nuke and quite possibly a death.

You also have ghost and flash. Ghost will let you run in and give the enemy less time to react. Flash will also close the distance, or even be useful to surprise tower dive.

Level up your ultimate and have some fun. Ultimate is top priority, followed by Rune Prison. The next spell you take to level 5 should be situational. If you've shown people that going into a lane by themselves is stupid, and they're now roaming around as a group, take Spell Flux to 5 to add to the AoE fest that your ultimate puts out. If you still have people going off on their own, beef up Overload and put them in their place... wherever they go before they show up at the fountain again.

After Boots of Mobility, I tend to get:

Frozen Heart, Archangel's Staff, Zhonya's - In the best of situations
Rod of Ages, Frozen Heart, Archangel's - When I get focused/caught off guard by stealth
Rod of Ages, Rod of Ages, Rylai's Crystal Scepter - OH **** IT'S A VEIGAR!!!

Ghost and Flash are enough to keep the incoming damage away, even if you use them to engage. As long as they're both up, I feel safe running around with 40% health. It's just **** fun to run up with 561 move speed and blow someone up, and run away just as fast.

That's how I do it.

Sadness Assassin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2010

I think your guide has interesting possibility, though I can't comment on it's efficacy having not played it yet. I wonder though, about leveling Rune Prison in priority to the other spells. I know that it allows you to stun longer, but wouldn't it be better to leave it at say level 2 or 3 so that you can inflict better damage with Overload and Spell Flux. It would seem to me that leveling Rune Prison first might hamper your damaging power some. Thus, I ask if you have a special reasoning for priority leveling Rune Prison?

~Sadness Assassin

Mrtakeiteasy

01-31-2010

Wow, its funny, you're Ryze is almost exactly how I play my Ryze, pretty amazing.

Maxing out the rune prison first allows a longer disable despite the amount of damage Ryze is able to do is decreased. Think of a team battle, would it be more wise to be able to keep the enemy champion there, or damage him a little more while keeping him there for less than a second.

In the end, I believe the amount of damage output that can be placed would be greater with maxing rune prison first; also, your little nuking combo won't work without the rune prison keeping them in place and allowing yourself to go right next to them and spam the hell out of them.

mOeeOm

01-31-2010

Disagree on boots of mobility, 20 penetration is too much damage to give up.
I don't understand how you don't always get rylai's :S the slow on all your spells makes a lot of difference.

Destromas

01-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOeeOm View Post
Disagree on boots of mobility, 20 penetration is too much damage to give up.
I don't understand how you don't always get rylai's :S the slow on all your spells makes a lot of difference.
Mobility is the entire element the build is based around. Quickly switching lanes picking people off. It's a tradeoff.

Overload does damage based on the mana pool.
Max rank Rune Prison lasts long enough that you can cast your other two spells and by the time you finish casting the other two spells, they're still prisoned for more than a second, your spells are now on cooldown for about 2-3 seconds. I see no point in a slow when they're snared for majority of the duration of your casts and everything goes on cooldown all at once.