Criteria for Good Tanks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Atyrael

02-22-2011

After playing in low elo for awhile and being subjected to the constant tank banning.
Eg. Shen, Amumu, Rammus, Malphite

I just wanted to open a discussion on a couple of things.

First, what abilities/characteristics make these tanks better than anyone else?
Second, for future tanks as well as the existing tanks what changes would increase their frequency of play?

Obviously tanks mains roles in a team fight are
1) During the fight to be able to peel other champs off your carries (Taunt, Grab, Fling etc)
2) To initiate the fight
3) Soak up alot of damage during the fight
4) Be enough of a threat or a pain to attract focus and enable damage soaking.

Alot of, I hesitantly say 'less popular' tanks are able to do (2) and (3) effectively and even better in some cases than the more popular. Where the difference lies I think is in the ability to attract focus by being a threat or taunting, and being able to peel other champs off your carries.

This is why Mordekaiser for awhile there at least could be a reasonably effective tank, while having no initiate or peeling off ability, he poured out enough damage to be considered a threat worth focusing, while maintaining high survivability. Consequently with the fall of his damage and shield he has dropped in viability.

I personally really enjoy playing Gragas but find that upon initiating with barrel, the best I can do to protect carries is to force my carries to kite while I continually slow with bodyslam, not really optimal in the middle of a big team fight. Granted tanks like Blitzcrank have superb pulling off abilities, however lack in attracting focus.

So to the point of this while thing, do you think tanks are simply the main ban in low elo due to the fact everyone wants to play carries, and we might be able to ban all a teams owned tanks leaving them tankless. Or is it simply because there are only 4 truly good tanks currently in the game, leaving whoever doesn't snatch up Singed or Cho-gath a poor alternative? What could be done to boost other tanks viability?

TL;DR: Low elo bans all tanks, is this simply a problem with low elo? Or is it a reflection that the unbanned tanks have little to offer?

Xenos One

02-22-2011

banning tanks is economical as far as the limited number of bans goes and the limited number of tanks in game

this is not my idea, just one i agree with.

if there were 10 shens.....then something else would be perma banned

Eliras

02-22-2011

There are few tanks, so banning tanks is an economical way to limit your opponent.

Get good with Alistar and wreck face

Whuuugo

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos One View Post
banning tanks is economical as far as the limited number of bans goes and the limited number of tanks in game

this is not my idea, just one i agree with.

if there were 10 shens.....then something else would be perma banned

What this guy said.

Better to ban 4 tanks out of 6 viable.

Than 4 carries out of 20.

Atyrael

02-22-2011

Fair points, thanks your input guys.