Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Maokai = Tank, and why he's not anything else.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tempname 17D

02-22-2011

I would like to discuss more about support tank maoki.
First, i do not believe he would be as good at tanking, as he has limited CC. He as a displacement and root, which i believe is great for initiate, but after that he really has nothing, except for ulting around his team. I don't believe there is really any reason to focus him, especially because with no AP his sapplings do little to no damage, and has no more dangerous CC until maybe the mid - end of a fight.

I believe support tank is a phenominal option

with 40% CDR he has a 2.4 second cooldown on his displacement/slow, and a 5.2 second cooldown on a 2 second root. In addition, if he has aura - tanking items, I feel he could keep focus off of his carry fairly well, while buffing his carry and negating damage with his ult. Although he can't heal nor shield, which is pretty necessary for a support role, his ability to disrupt and keep the enemy from his carry, and his tankyness make up for that.

Again, just my opinion. I would appreciate some argument as to why this does/does not work.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toros

02-22-2011

Quote:
Battle Jew:
I would like to discuss more about support tank maoki.
First, i do not believe he would be as good at tanking, as he has limited CC. He as a displacement and root, which i believe is great for initiate, but after that he really has nothing, except for ulting around his team. I don't believe there is really any reason to focus him, especially because with no AP his sapplings do little to no damage, and has no more dangerous CC until maybe the mid - end of a fight.

I believe support tank is a phenominal option

with 40% CDR he has a 2.4 second cooldown on his displacement/slow, and a 5.2 second cooldown on a 2 second root. In addition, if he has aura - tanking items, I feel he could keep focus off of his carry fairly well, while buffing his carry and negating damage with his ult. Although he can't heal nor shield, which is pretty necessary for a support role, his ability to disrupt and keep the enemy from his carry, and his tankyness make up for that.

Again, just my opinion. I would appreciate some argument as to why this does/does not work.

It... absolutely works. What you described is the first half of counter initiating.

When shen ults a carry, and then taunts to peel attackers off them, is he not tanking?

Sometimes, you bring the fight to the enemy carry. Other times, you screw up the enemy team's attempt to bring the fight to you, and then counter attack.

Tanking is all about making sure your carry is alive and the enemy carry is dead.

Rammus accomplishes this by taunting them and letting thornmail and his team beat on them.

Amumu Roots the enemy team so the casters can drop their nukes right on the carry's face.

Shen peels attackers off his carry, giving them room to kite and kill some more.

Maokai is fully capable of bringing the fight to the enemy carry, but with his short cooldown on his Q, he's equally good at blocking people attempting to attack the friendly carry.

P.s. chalice, boots, aegis is what I'd choose for core on him anyway.