Maokai = Tank, and why he's not anything else.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WorthyofLiek

02-22-2011

Critkai is the way to go.

FossaFerox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

RoA and Mercs are my core build on him. I'll usually get a glacial shroud, spirit visage, and either finish the frozen heart or get a BV depending on the damage I'm dealing with.

I don't consider this a tank build, and prefer to have a Shen or Rammus on my team (though it's not necessary).

What this build allows me to do isn't pure tank (I used to main rammus before they bugged his powerball so that you can go through people) but it allows me to disrupt fights such that I can prevent the other team from acting.

CDR for Q and W spam destroys carries. It doesn't kill them outright, it just guarantees that they aren't doing their job. Also a godsend when you have people like Kat/Malz/WW on the other team and you need to be able to pop their ult and punished them. Meanwhile the AP from RoA means that I'm hurting more than any tank could dream of with the exception of a full armor rammus with thornmail taunting an AD carry. It also gives me health (arguably his best stat once you're over 100 armor/mr) and much, much needed mana.

I contribute more than just "I take damage so you don't have to" and I have no problem surviving to take advantage of my passive.

Whizzard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

You weren't kidding about the long part bro.

Powerstoned

02-22-2011

Maokai needs a Warmog

Aerolicious

02-22-2011

I don't even know why i'm replying, and probably will be downvoted.

But why is it always the guy who's unranked and played a total of 4 games w/ this new champion.. trying to preach on how to play him?

First and foremost, you can build plenty of toons in many ways.. and as long as you're a good player it'll still reflect in the overall outcome. To say you can't play maokai as an AP because blah blah blah, is rediculous. it's all about runes/setup. what not.

I personally find him to be a horrible main tank, his dmg out put is pretty much un-noticable and the only real tankish ability he has is his ult. Unless you count the 2 seconds "snare" on a single target... If you're going to say picking him > certain AP chars, then you don't get the concept of him in general. You also could say "well he can't do what rammus/shen/singed can do.

In all honesty, i've played him as all of the above, straight AP is obviously not the greatest choice as it leads to quick target change to you once you root and a pretty quick death. I found Beefy AP the way to go, simply cause while your damage isn't "great". You're job isn't to be the carry, you're a support that is able to help control the fight. Your dmg output is enough,you're able to soak up dmg. and at sametime able to snare people off your carry or stand on top of the other teams carry, all while supplying an ult that does a fair amount of dmg but overall is meant to soak dmg. All while AoE'ing /w sappling and spamming your ground slam.

sorry if this semi got into a rant, but I hate when people try to tell others how to play when there's a ton of styles. Its like when alot of people snicker at someone grabbing heal or going AP on ez. And then they see someone like hotshot pull it off and immediately shut up. It's more about the player than the setup.. if you have a hardcore tank, you can play maokai however u want... Support Beefy AP or heck just a pure offtank that helps soak the dmg. But don't say that blah blah playing it is dumb, cause that's just ignorant.

Voidgolem

02-22-2011

There doesn't seem to be a point in going full tank because regardless of how you build him Maokai is pretty much ignorable.

the exception being a very fed AP Mao while you're too drunk to avoid saplings. Which, ideally, never happens.

>.>

Personally I have a fairly good idea of an effective build, I just never get the chance to use it since either someone else instant-locks him or I get to solo a lane that's hellish for a melee hero.

Xoltar

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerolicious View Post
I don't even know why i'm replying, and probably will be downvoted.

But why is it always the guy who's unranked and played a total of 4 games w/ this new champion.. trying to preach on how to play him?

First and foremost, you can build plenty of toons in many ways.. and as long as you're a good player it'll still reflect in the overall outcome. To say you can't play maokai as an AP because blah blah blah, is rediculous. it's all about runes/setup. what not.

I personally find him to be a horrible main tank, his dmg out put is pretty much un-noticable and the only real tankish ability he has is his ult. Unless you count the 2 seconds "snare" on a single target... If you're going to say picking him > certain AP chars, then you don't get the concept of him in general. You also could say "well he can't do what rammus/shen/singed can do.

In all honesty, i've played him as all of the above, straight AP is obviously not the greatest choice as it leads to quick target change to you once you root and a pretty quick death. I found Beefy AP the way to go, simply cause while your damage isn't "great". You're job isn't to be the carry, you're a support that is able to help control the fight. Your dmg output is enough,you're able to soak up dmg. and at sametime able to snare people off your carry or stand on top of the other teams carry, all while supplying an ult that does a fair amount of dmg but overall is meant to soak dmg. All while AoE'ing /w sappling and spamming your ground slam.

sorry if this semi got into a rant, but I hate when people try to tell others how to play when there's a ton of styles. Its like when alot of people snicker at someone grabbing heal or going AP on ez. And then they see someone like hotshot pull it off and immediately shut up. It's more about the player than the setup.. if you have a hardcore tank, you can play maokai however u want... Support Beefy AP or heck just a pure offtank that helps soak the dmg. But don't say that blah blah playing it is dumb, cause that's just ignorant.

Can I get an AMEN?!?!

ShadoweD

02-22-2011

yeah... lets compare something HIBRID with champions focused only to those roles...

what did you expect? for maokai to be better at tanking than a real tanker AND do more dmg than a caster? srsly?...

you do have some points but what you forgot is that you're playing with a TEAM
let's use irelia + maokai for this k?

let's say you team got in a team fight, you have a tanker (rammus/cho) the enemy team is trying to focus irelia down

what do we do?
first, let someone come for her (I saw you tping in ez), irelia jump on him, stun, do 40% dmg, he's about to tp away

you join the fight, warp to him getting more 20% of his hp, Irelia finish it
Rammus is coming for her on powerball

stop him and slow him with Q, throw a sappling (if you have only a rilay you should be almost dying right now)
run, the sappling will slow him down enough to stop him from taunting her to the middle of the fight

if your tanker dont come to aid her, snare rammus and run again, throw another sap

she will kill him with her ult/w

if you're still alive, keep throwing sappling and saving your teamates who need to run away
suicide if needed to get that snare in and help your team to kill that runner

if the enemy team stand still in the same place, ult them and spam sappling and Q
if they focus you down, you did your job.

dunno how this go in high elo, but moakai can be a nuissance
his E is easy to avoid? yep, it is but hey, someone will need to lose time to get the sap attention and run away

dunno about you guys but to me, maokai with some ms is a god in those battles where everyone is running around the map

with moakai you just need to follow 5 rules
-----
NEVER go alone to a fight
SAP first, then W
Never snare someone in the middle of their team unless someone else already started the fight
Snare and RUN (Unless you know you and those with you can kill the enemy)
CD reduction, CD reduction, CD reduction. At least 20%

SlyGoat

02-22-2011

stopped reading when you said AP kogmaw was inferior to DPS

cant take someone like that seriously

xKHORNExLORD420

02-22-2011

I like tank maokai, I like it a lot. I think it's the best maokai. He's a squishy defender 9000+ and I usually build a warmogs because it just seems natural on maokai.

I like AP/tak maokai. his saplings kick ass. his snare hurts quite a bit as well.

OP should stfu and quit trying to tell people how to play. Both builds are okay! REALLY! They can both exist!

tl;dr buff maokai