How exactly was Ryze buffed?

First Riot Post
12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Theorycrafter

02-22-2011

Can any high ELO player or Riot enlighten me?
Sure, you are more tanky. But in the end, all that the remake did was move his burst-damage into sustained damage, without making it really stronger. He now itemizes into mana(catalyst, frozen heart, archangel's, optional RoA, Banshee, okay), making him rather tanky to be able to do that damage.
Sure, his Q and W bite for quite a bit, but his Spell Flux and his ultimate are more or less ignorable now, especially since Spell Flux does not scale off mana and the ultimate's cooldown is high(nerfed) for some odd reason... I mean... why? The sepp vamp effect feels really negligible - the spell vamp is decreased anyway, due to making skills AoE. The base mana gain also doesn't really feel significant, considering an early catalyst/tear is more or less mandatory now.

I may be a bit bold in this statement, but I feel his overall efficiency got reduced, ie he got nerfed, rather than buffed. But then again, I may be missing out some important detail. I have no idea what that might be, however. I asked several friends and they wholeheartedly agree that he got nerfed. I am still analyzing him thoroughly, but I can't find this "buff" Riot speaks about.

Sorry for "this thread again", but I found no answer other than reassurances by Riot that he was in fact buffed.

Thoughts? Opinions? I welcome all answers.

Edit: I suppose I wasn't clear on some things. - I believe that sure, New ryze is better than old one on paper, but in practice, the interval between spells, the casting delays, the length of team battles and the time required to get sufficient farm put him slightly under the old one *overall* damage-wise.

Noperative

02-22-2011

He scales with defensive items and he has OP range.

DoctorVishnevski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

The new Ryze scales better with mana than AP now. Just happens that some of the better mana items also make you very durable. RoA, FH, BV, all make you tanky, as well as make Q and W hurt. Also with his passive, and the damage Q does, you can spam spells on global cd. With the large mana pool you can keep this up for a quite a while, all while being not super squishy.

Theorycrafter

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noperative View Post
He scales with defensive items and he has OP range.
His offense got lowered and his defense got higher in consequence. My point? His offense got "spread out" a bit too much, making it weaker in consequence, ie he lost a lot of burst for little benefit.

The casting ranges aren't really that big - it's just as far as a ranged carry(600 attack range) - That's good, but not OP...

CTHDRL

02-22-2011

You can sit and rape everyone and never die.

Previously you almost always died.

Now you're an offtank/ganker/pusher. While previously you were the guy who pressed REWQ as fast as he could before he died.

Theorycrafter

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by vShane View Post
The new Ryze scales better with mana than AP now. Just happens that some of the better mana items also make you very durable. RoA, FH, BV, all make you tanky, as well as make Q and W hurt. Also with his passive, and the damage Q does, you can spam spells on global cd. With the large mana pool you can keep this up for a quite a while, all while being not super squishy.
I am not a Ryze newbie, I know how to play Ryze.
I'm just saying - all things considered you posted - his overall damage output via spell flux and utility via ult is much lower.

Tiny Angry Crab

02-22-2011

He still does nice burst which is very repeatable, he's much more controlling because of the effective reduced cd on rune prison, he's more survivable because of vamp on ult which synergises fairly nicely with the new emphasis on defensive mana based items

GregoryCorso

02-22-2011

mana items like tear, ROA and glacial shield are absurdly cost effective. It's hard not to get at least 4k mana by late game with new Ryze with a farmed tear

living meat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

It means you no longer QRWEQ and run. You can now R>Q>W>Q>E>Q > (2 seconds) > Q>W>Q>E>Q etc.

Theorycrafter

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneironaut View Post
You can sit and rape everyone and never die.

Previously you almost always died.

Now you're an offtank/ganker/pusher. While previously you were the guy who pressed REWQ as fast as he could before he died.
I do appreciate Riot's intentions - I'm not criticizing the new design - just the numbers.

12345 ... 10