@Xypherous, Evelynn ideas and thoughts

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KillinUrDoodz

02-22-2011

I have been thinking about your stealth mechanics research, as your conclusion poses an interesting problem: Can strategic stealth work? I've played with some ideas for a bit and now I think I have some that I think are good enough to share. I hope that I can give you inspiration for your future attempts at reworking stealth, as you seem frustrated with all the possibilities you've explored so far.

My idea is based on the following observation: Evelynn's stealth has two aspects: a tactical aspect and a strategic aspect. Tactically, Evelynn uses stealth to deliver her disable, which is very important to her character. She is an assassin. The stun on her stealth is very important to her ability to assassinate people.

The second aspect is the one that is problematic and frustrating: Evelynn can stealth for strategic purposes. She can scout without being sighted. She is effectively an observer from Starcraft, which were a very strong advantage to Protoss. The reason why it wasn't game breaking in Starcraft but is here is that in Starcraft, there are only three sides, and each one has very powerful scout mechanics. In League of Legends, there are essentially three scout mechanics: Clairvoyance, Wards, and Strategic Stealthers. Of these, Strategic Stealthers are disproportionately powerful.

Idea: Decouple Evelynn's tactical stealth from her strategic stealth, so that you can work on one without disrupting the other.

---

Evelynn has a new passive: When Evelynn leaves brush without being seen by an enemy, she stealths for x1/x2/x3/x4 seconds (improves every 5 levels), and if she hits a target while stealthed, she stuns them for y1/y2/y3/y4 seconds. This effect cannot occur more than once within a span of z1/z2/z3/z4 seconds.

I left the numbers indeterminate because this is obviously a very unique and perhaps disruptive mechanic that may or may not be manageable with fine-tuning. I think it would lead to interesting counterplay in Evelynn's lane. It makes strategic control of the brush important to her tactics, and thus important to her lane opponents. This decouples her tactical stealth from strategic considerations, and I think it makes her tactical stealth more 'hands-on' so to speak.

---

Shadow Walk is remade: Evelynn becomes immobile for the duration of Shadow Walk. She creates a phantom that looks exactly like her that is stealthed as long as it does not get too close to enemy champions (it can still be defeated by magical sight). The phantom cannot attack or cast spells. Evelynn controls this phantom for the duration of Shadow Walk. If the phantom is not within brush by the time shadow walk ends or is attacked by an enemy, it disappears with a plume of smoke and laughter (ala Shaco). If the phantom is in brush at the end of the duration, Evelynn is blinked to its location and it disappears without a sign. Evelynn can dismiss Shadow Walk at any time.

The point of this is to create the possibility of counterplay against Evelynn's strategic stealth. It also makes it so that Evelynn must fulfill a condition in order to use this for mobility purposes. If she wants to scout with it, she must either be conservative with her scouting, blink nearby the enemy, or let her scouting be detected. The shorter the duration of Shadow Walk, the riskier it is for Evelynn, so you have a number you can easily tweak to get the right amount of counter-play, risk, and power for the ability.

Hopefully by decoupling her strategic stealth from her tactical stealth gives you the flexibility you need to make both her aspects work.

Thanks for reading this, if you do. And if you don't I don't mind. I just want to share in the hopes that it helps.

KillinUrDoodz

02-22-2011

Not even downvotes. I'm so ronery >_>

DarcMatteh

02-22-2011

Interesting concept.

Majiger

02-22-2011

I actually quite like this idea. Since brush isn't exactly everywhere it is conditional. My only problem is being able to shadow walk across the whole map into a bush by the enemy's base and teleporting there...

It should have a max distance of maybe half the map at best?

Ycats

02-22-2011

Complicated!!!

KillinUrDoodz

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majiger View Post
I actually quite like this idea. Since brush isn't exactly everywhere it is conditional. My only problem is being able to shadow walk across the whole map into a bush by the enemy's base and teleporting there...

It should have a max distance of maybe half the map at best?
It would be limited by time. I suppose a revive ghost evelynn with boots of mobility and ulting could run across the map within a short timespan

Ycats

02-22-2011

Why don't we just make EVE cost a whooping 6300ips like twitch. So lower lvls would have to deal with her and since higher lvl knows how to counter her with wards and oracle.

KillinUrDoodz

02-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycats View Post
Why don't we just make EVE cost a whooping 6300ips like twitch. So lower lvls would have to deal with her and since higher lvl knows how to counter her with wards and oracle.
A) That doesn't stop people from buying a strong champion they heard about or free week.

B) The point is that even though anyone worth their salt can deal with Evelynn, it is still annoying and not fun to play against Evelynn.

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-22-2011

Oh I like some of these ideas. I think stealth should be applied to more strategic gameplay as well.

Myrren

02-22-2011

bumpity bump bump.

Needs more attention