how the heck do u play jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lelouch Zero

01-30-2010

ive read all of the guides tried dps and ap and still he sucks.

his early game is laughable

if he cant farm during early game his late games laughable

did i mention his early game is laughable?

u cant farm early game if ur against 2 casters or range which always is the case because hes squishy as hell.

dripskydrip

01-30-2010

You don't. He's completely broken in higher tiers. Way too much vulnerable to crowd control and magic damage.

Saw only one exception though, guy with catalyst -> ninja tabi -> phage -> whatever else, was doing very well through the game, serving mostly as a stun dispenser.

Lemons

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2010

I believe the tank build is best.

Doran's Shield
Frozen Mallet
Last Whisper
Banshees Veil
Phantom Dancer

Caelestiss

01-30-2010

i can help you out with how to play jax, i am having a great time on him lately.

people constantly tell me he's broken, he could use a little buff(for his dps build)...but he's definitely not broken.

Anyway heres what i do:

first off you're going to have to start amassing dodge runes. I dont prefer using Quint's for dodge so i went the other route, 9 yellow dodge runes = 6.7% which is enough to get you 33% dodge with the mastery and ninja tabi in the game at max lvl.

33% is all you need, because you're not getting dodge to dodge, you're getting dodge to stun.

there are more than 2 minions around you 90% of the time while laning, and early game is where you will be doing your ganks. (before level 6)

i like dorans shield and a health potion to start off.
jax is best suited for killing casters early game, all you need do is upgrade only his dodge skill and leap, dodge first of course. forget about the lamppost until the other 2 are maxed, its a mana eater and its not worth the damage unless fully charged. ( i have tried both ways a lot previously)

leap towards them, the minions hit you, you dodge, you stun, your partner hopefully is helping, person is dead.

rinse and repeat until level 6, but dont take excessive damage from the minions, you want to literally get the stun available then stun, and if you can't get the kill just walk away after meleeing them once. If you do this correctly the minions wont even be attacking you when they become unstunned.

In my opinion if you're in a PUB game do not go anything but tank jax. *no you dont need phantom dancers*

ninja tabi is first on the list, then either a banshees veil, starting with the mana resist because thats jax's weakness, or you want to go frozen mallet.

leap doesn't put frozen mallet's slow on someone- just so you know.
if you dont go banshees veil first you're gonna want to get both health items instead of making phage quickly.

phage isn't going to help you like frozen mallet does, you will only get 1 melee on them after leaping unless the conditions are good, so health is a better choice.

after that its your decision what you want to buy, but banshees/frozen mallet are the first two biggies for a tanking jax. All you need to do to tank with him is to ensure that you can stun when you need to stun, which the 33% dodge does.

*you can't dodge turrets*

if you are having trouble keeping in lane i'd suggest getting a lifesteal scepter before your first major item purchase. usually i'll end up making a starks with it if the game goes a while.

frozen heart, guardian angel, whatever you want after that :P

i gotta stress that 33% dodge though, the 6.7% from runes and the mastery are must-haves if you want to have a good time on jax

happy hunting

--oh i forgot to mention my masteries.

8-22-0 get crit then the attack speed in the dmg tree, then go straight down the same row of skills that lines up with the final skill on the defensive tree, as well as the dodge masteries. he needs the extra hp from this and the doran's shield to makethe early ganking possible. (hp quints aren't a bad idea either but i use crit)

JunkRamen

01-30-2010

You use Leap Attack on someone and then die.

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-30-2010

You play Jax by playing as Fiddlesticks and going CAW CAW instead.

Caelestiss

01-30-2010

the guide that i presented in this thread does work against capable players, if you are actually looking to play this character

Feta

01-30-2010

Ive had the most success with the following build with jax;

1. mana crystal 2 health pots
2. sheen
3. ninja tabi
4. triforce
5. banshee's
6. w/e u want

i use armor pen reds, dodge yellows, hp quints(tho i think i would use move speed if i had them), and CD blues.

I spec 9/21/0

my skill order is:

Q. Leapstrike
W. Empower
E. Counter attack
Q
Q
R
Q
W
Q
W
R
W
W
E
E
R
E
E

Soundgarden

01-30-2010

I usually get Counter Strike up first.

Three ranks of leap

and start getting empower up.

I seem to flog with him most games and I've found that you can flog early game if you lane with Evelynn and have an exhaust, and a good early game will give you a good late game.

I use damage items like bloodthirster, infinity edge etc

one problem, I don't have him but i played him tonnes when he was available last week.

1 Leap Strike
2 Counter Strike
3 Counter Strike
4 Leap Strike
5 Counter Strike
6 Ult
7 Counter Strike
8 Leap Strike
9 Counter Strike
10 Empower
11 Ult
12 Empower
13 Empower
14 Empower
15 Empower
16 Ult
17 Leap
18 Leap

tnemlec

01-30-2010

I find that in order to play well with jax, just pray that u dont face a caster heavy team.

I do agree that u need at least 2-3 kills early to be able to do well with jax in the whole game.

Usually what i do is, get leap strike first, then empower (yes, read again, not counterstrike)
I find that leap striking with empower fully charged can often get some early kills, since it hits for so much , esp on squishies. Lot of squishies think they have 30-40% hp left, and they would be safe, WRONG! A leap strike with empower fully charged can often kill these people running around with low hp in 1 single blow.

If he doesnt die, exhaust and do your ****. At level 3, i will take counterstrike. Usually early game, 1 level of empower will be enough for harassing and stuff. Dont use it too much, conserve your mana and use it at the right time.

For mid-late game, fight some neutral creeps or creeps, you should at least dodge a hit or 2, then u come out of the jungle with the blue circle thingy around u, Leap towards the enemy, and activate counterstrike (stun) right in their face.

And usually, if u are able to do that, u would be able to hit them at least 3 times, hence you ult will land on them. after that its usually chasing and stuff

And altho some of you might disagree, but with my build, first item i rush for is a last whisper.
So i usually get a long sword for starting item, with hp pot as well.

My build has always been

The core:
Last whisper
Ninja Tabi
(Life steal sceptre here)
Infinity Edge

After Infinity Edge, you can choose anything that upgrades your vampiric sceptre, usually i choose executioner's calling if the other team have lots of heals and lifesteal.

Or blood thirster if you are doing well in game.

QUESTION:

Q: Why dont you get more attack speed items?
A: I tried stacking attack speed, and i just dont like it, its not as efficient as high dmg build such as mine. I can kill people in few hits, nobody is gonna stand there and let u hit them like a pinata. Last whisper is more than enough for your already high IAS.

Q: No Phantom Dancer?
A: Its good to have, but i never get it before i finish my Infinity Edge, and i find that Infinity Edge gets me a lot more kills. I tried Phantom dancer, but i just didnt do enough dmg quick enough. With Jax, you want him to hit fast and hit HARD. The dodge is nice to have, but usually, i dont have trouble getting counterstrike up with just a ninja tabi and max ranked counter strike.