Solo 1v1 Top/Mid Counterpicking GUIDE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Durugon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

Hey guys, this is a work in progress I'm hoping the community can help me perfect, to just make a good guide of champions to counter X champions at 1v1 mid and 1v1 top. Non 1v1 Champions like amumu or soraka won't be on the list.

Also, this list is far from perfect, I'd like to make it to help people because I myself pick bad matchups, I will update atleast once a day if people are commenting. It would be cool to have a reference in draft pick, you see them pick X champion for mid, then you look at the list and select Y counterpick.

The list I'm releasing is the best i can come up with, its highly incomplete, if you main one of these champions just let me know who counters you best. This is my attempt to better myself as a player.

I'd also like to add a section at the bottom for how to counter certain champions in lane, such as Vladimir or Mordekaiser.

Left name is champion followed by their best counters

Akali:
Anivia: Sivir, Kassadin, Xin Zhao, Vladimir
Annie:
Ashe: Xin Zhao
Caitlyn:
Cassiopia:
Cho'gath:
Corki:
Ezrael: LeBlanc
Fiddlesticks:
Gangplank:
Gragas:
Heimerdinger: Xin Zhao
Kassadin: Xin Zhao, Ashe
Katarina: Kassadin, LeBlanc, Malzahar
Kennen:
Kogmaw: Xin Zhao, Akali
LeBlanc: Sivir,
Lux: Xin Zhao
Malzahar:
Master Yi:
Miss Fortune:
Mordekaiser: Vladimir, Kogmaw, Nidalee
Nasus: Ashe, Ezrael, Mundo
Nidalee:
Pantheon:
Renekton: Ashe, Ezrael
Sion:
Sivir:
Swain:
Teemo:
Tristana:
Tryndamere:
Twisted Fate: Pantheon, Corki, Xin Zhao
Twitch: Pantheon, Xin Zhao, Corki
Urgot: Sivir
Veigar: Sivir, Xin Zhao, Pantheon
Vladimir: Malzahar, Mordekaiser, Xin Zhao
Xin Zhao: Morgana, Karthus, Corki

Counter strategies for unique champions:

Vladimir: Vlad dominates passive laners, you need to be aggressive, get between him and his minions and harass them. After he uses Q, he does very little damage while its on CD, exploit this at low levels and really zone him hard. Don't let him run up, Q you, and run off.

LeBlanc: Another hard champion, her Q ability puts a debuff on you which will trigger if she damages you with another of her abilities. Typically she will Q you, then blink to you for huge damage/silence, then blink out before you can retaliate. She has very strong burst but is very fragile. You need to get out of range if her Sigil debuff is on you, break that 2 skill combo, try to stun her when she dashes in and deal damage before she can leave. She dominates passive laners.

Anivia: This is a very dangerous, very vulnerable champion. If she uses her Q, dodge it. If you do, she is defenseless while it is on cooldown. Be careful rushing her if her Q is ready, she can use it defensively to stun you then burst you for huge damage and back up. Also, watch her ultimate, if she hits you and Es you with it, she is vulnerable for some retaliation if you can get close. Exploit her when she is low mana, and do not sit on egg with low HP, she will res and burst you to death.

Mordekaiser: I need help here myself

ByakuyaYO

02-20-2011

Morde - Auto attack his shield down, save your burst for when it's over. Be wary of his ult when you're around 30% health. Kitable.

Sion - Don't go in stun range unless you're going for a kill, otherwise you're gonna eat a load of harass.
Keep him away from creeps to prevent him lifestealing.

League blog for those interested: http://riotoflegends.blogspot.com/

Solarityful

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durugon View Post
Akali:
Anivia: Sivir, Kassadin, Xin Zhao Caitlyn
Annie:
Ashe: Xin Zhao
Caitlyn:
Cassiopia:
Cho'gath:
Corki:
Ezrael: LeBlanc
Fiddlesticks:
Gangplank:
Gragas:
Heimerdinger: Xin Zhao
Kassadin: Xin Zhao, Ashe
Katarina: Kassadin, LeBlanc, Malzahar
Kennen:
Kogmaw: Xin Zhao, Akali
LeBlanc: Sivir,
Lux: Xin Zhao
Malzahar:
Master Yi:
Miss Fortune:
Mordekaiser: Vladimir, Kogmaw, Nidalee Ashe
Nasus: Ashe, Ezrael, Mundo
Nidalee:
Pantheon: Mordekaiser
Renekton: Ashe, Ezrael
Sion:
Sivir: Vladimir
Swain: Vladimir
Teemo: Vladimir Leblanc
Tristana:
Tryndamere: Twisted fate Corki
Twisted Fate: Pantheon, Corki, Xin Zhao
Twitch: Pantheon, Xin Zhao, Corki
Urgot:
Veigar: Sivir, Xin Zhao, Pantheon
Vladimir: Xin Zhao Pantheon(lvl1-5), tristana, tryndamere, veigar, shen, gragas cho gath twisted fate
Xin Zhao: Morgana, Karthus, Corki

Counter strategies for unique champions:

Vladimir: Vlad dominates passive laners, you need to be aggressive, get between him and his minions and harass them. After he uses Q, he does very little damage while its on CD, exploit this at low levels and really zone him hard. Don't let him run up, Q you, and run off.

LeBlanc: Another hard champion, her Q ability puts a debuff on you which will trigger if she damages you with another of her abilities. Typically she will Q you, then blink to you for huge damage/silence, then blink out before you can retaliate. She has very strong burst but is very fragile. You need to get out of range if her Sigil debuff is on you, break that 2 skill combo, try to stun her when she dashes in and deal damage before she can leave. She dominates passive laners.

Anivia: This is a very dangerous, very vulnerable champion. If she uses her Q, dodge it. If you do, she is defenseless while it is on cooldown. Be careful rushing her if her Q is ready, she can use it defensively to stun you then burst you for huge damage and back up. Also, watch her ultimate, if she hits you and Es you with it, she is vulnerable for some retaliation if you can get close. Exploit her when she is low mana, and do not sit on egg with low HP, she will res and burst you to death.

Mordekaiser: Ashe Caitlyn Miss fortune and anyone able to kite him i believe shen and malphite are also able to wear him down
I spend the majority of my games either in mid or solo top, and maybe you have figured but my main is Vladimir :P i also have anivia, mordekaiser, ashe, tristana, xin zhao, tryndamere, leblanc, sivir, nidalee, pantheon, and twisted fate. Believe it or not these are the counters which i believe best suit 1v1 scenario. If you would like me to elaborate i can

Dakkas

02-20-2011

Kat always stomped me hard when I was Sivir

CarlosDanger66

02-20-2011

Kass counters Karthus pretty well at mid for sure. It's one of the easier matchups for Kass... Most tanks/ fighters (such as Mord) or toons that have a stun and are tanky (or can heal) pretty much give him big trouble.

I should give an honorable mention to blitzcrank as being the toughest (for me) to lane against as Kass. One pull and you're screwed...

Reiyson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

Kogmaw takes down tanks. So amumu,rammus,shen also. Nunu perhaps. Hes tanky. Chogath too.

Doriantv

02-21-2011

Urgot is hardcountered by Sivir. Every good Urgot I've talked to confirms this. That's why they always angle for a Sivir ban.

Nidalee loses to Morgana, IIRC.

ArcZSlash

02-21-2011

Anivia: Sivir, Kassadin, Xin Zhao KATARINA

Shunpo > Q/E combo

Mr Threepwood

02-21-2011

Vlad's puddle annoys my anivia to no end personally. Now that her ulty has such high cost it's even more a pain in the ass. Sure, 20% seems like a heavy cost, but my creeps are around, he'll steal some back, and if it let's him avoid q->e he's saving a lot of health.

moeh

02-21-2011

Twisted Fate: Sivir