Playing a Tank or Off-Tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zagis

02-20-2011

Every so often in a game, noone picks a tank and I end up having to build a bruiser/melee character as a tank ( im not that skilled with the main tanks like cho gath or singed etc., I usually play Sion )

So I was wondering, what or some of the regular/typical items that people get when building a tank/off-tank, and im not just talking about for sion I'm talking about in general. Thanks for the help (right now I get warmog's in general, FoN if they stack ap, and thornmail if they stack auto-attacking AD)

ComradeHX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

If you play Sion then you should know that Sion has a build-in Warmogs(somewhat).

You need to farm, for mostly armor/mr(frozen heart, though nerfed, is still a GREAT item for AD/tank Sion, add on a Negatron and you can start building some damage).

I need to try a Tiamat and see if it will make a difference.

Deikan

02-20-2011

I think sunfire cape is very typical for an off-tank against ADs because of it's passive.

Zagis

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
If you play Sion then you should know that Sion has a build-in Warmogs(somewhat).

You need to farm, for mostly armor/mr(frozen heart, though nerfed, is still a GREAT item for AD/tank Sion, add on a Negatron and you can start building some damage).

I need to try a Tiamat and see if it will make a difference.
I used to use tiamat but it doesnt make THAT much of a difference and I learned other items are more helpful

DoransTroll

02-20-2011

FH and Randuin are probably the best items for this situation. A tank champ has good ways to save their teammates--this is what sets them apart from bruisers. FH/Randuin will allow you to delay incoming damage to your team, hence it's almost a must.

Don't ever pick up Sunfire just for the passive though. It's a great slot saver (HP/MR), but it's passive is good only for tagging enemy champions under a tower. The damage is way too low to be of any use. I dare your--just take a tank, put Sunfire on him, go stand there and let minions beat on you (don't fight back)---you will lose significant amount of HP before they die. In some unlucky case, you will cause the minions to ball up, and actually kill you. The damage is THAT low. I know because it happened to my Alistar before..

Shadow Blade100

02-20-2011

look for something with cooldown reduction, havent played sion much but having armor to stop as much dmg is not as good as having them stunned so they cant do any dmg.

plus one for frozen heart but also frozen mallet is nice on offtanks cuz it gives hp and a passive slow and that can help in any offense defense fight. having them slow can get you a kill without even leaving your towers range at all so with the stun & slow your team will never have problems with the safe ganking your greedy " i dont wanna tank " teammates will be doing anyway.

Wuumaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

Too Much Physical? - Thornmail has a ton of Armor and returns damage to auto-attackers. Randuin's Omen has almost as much Armor and stacks some Health on top.

Too Much Magic? - Force of Nature has a ton of MR, and boosts movespeed and Health Regen as a bonus. Quicksilver Sash's active can remove any... unpleasant debuffs you might have picked up during your stay in the middle of the enemy team.

Need Offense & Defense? - Sunfire Cape, Abyssal Scepter, and Atma's Impaler are all good Offensive/Defensive items for off-tanks. They increase your damage dealt (Damage aura, AP + MR debuff aura, Crit% + AD boost) while also increasing your defenses.

Need Mana? - Both Glacial Shroud and Banshee's Veil offer Mana in addition to defense. The shroud also offers CDR and upgrades into an Attack Speed debuff aura, while Banshee's has some Health and a Spell Shield.

Cooldowns too Long? - Glacial Shroud provides CDR & Armor, Spirit Visage has MR, CDR, and a touch of Health. Randuin's has 5% CDR as well. Soul Shroud, while usually a support item, has a good chunk of Health to go with some CDR and Mana regen, and it's an Aura as well!

Getting Focused? - Guardian Angel lets you get in and initiate without having to worry about being focused. Either the enemy targets you, blowing their CC & damage while your team destroys them, or they ignore you and attempt to deal with your team through your disruption. Best results when combined with a significant Health pool. Just don't expect it to save you all the time.

Can't Decide? - Aegis of the Legion is an excellent tank/off-tank/support item. It's cheap, provides all 3 defensive stats (Health, Armor, MR), and provides a portion of the Ar/MR as an aura to teammates and also increases Attack Damage!

Bonus - Sion farms very well with his shield. If you're not under too much harassment, turn it on while running up to the wave, smack any minions that are above 40% health, and pop when in an ideal position. Doing this will push the lane (and works best in a solo lane, as the enemy has a harder time poping the shield alone), but you can always take some time to bluepill and buy while the enemy pushes out some.

Doriantv

02-20-2011

Thornmail is for use against autoattackers only, if you need armor vs someone like Pantheon, Randuin's or GA is better.

iDig Business

02-20-2011

If your team doesn't have an aegis, get one. Please. Someone should have an Aegis. And your minions will love you.

Kroghar

02-20-2011

Like Wuumaster noted, there is no set build for a tank. As a tank you have to pay close attention to what the other team is building and counter-build them.

If you like the Bruiser tanks, start with a good hp item that compliments your damage, Rod of Ages, Rylai's, Frozen Mallet, Sunfire, etc. Then get some cheap armor/mr to start with. Having a large health pool will greatly increase the value of tank items. I almost always start with a Heart of Gold as long as the other team has at least one AD carry. Then get a cheap MR item, Merc Treads is obvious, Spirit Visage if your champ has a built in way to heal, Hexdrinker if you're an AD champ. Aegis of the Legion is also a fantastic starter tank item as it gives you a nice spread of a stats for cheap and helps your team. Then push a big money item that specifically counters the biggest thread on the other team: Randuins, Frozen Armor, Banshee's Veil, Force of Nature, etc. And continue.

Dunno if Sion would be my first pick for an off-tank. Much of his survivability is built off AP, if you wanted to go with Sion I'd get a Rod of Ages, Abyssal, possibly an Atma's, then Guardian Angel. As an off-tank he's really only effective at running in and stunning the carry.

You mention Cho'Gath and Singed as main tanks, but I consider these more off-tank champs. They're more disrupter/initiator champs and are generally built hybrid AP/Tank. Malphite fits into this category too and I'd give him a try, he has some damage to him yet still manages to substitute as a pretty decent main tank. He's probably the best entry-level tank.