Warmogs just seems right on Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krazikarl

02-20-2011

I dont think so.

If you are playing as a tank, Aegis and Randuins are going to be a lot better for your team most of the time. If you finish those...yeah, you can Warmogs (I'd still rather have Sunfire as long as they arent really AP heavy, but whatever).

The same is true if you are playing support.

Maokai does meh damage at best, so he either needs to be tanking or supporting. And in either of those roles, you want to get stuff that increases your survivability AND gives you some kind of nice utility ability, whether its an aura or a good active. Warmogs fails on the second point.

Remember, that just staying alive for a long time isnt that useful. You need to be doing something while you are staying alive. There are really good items that keep you alive just as well as Warmogs (or almost as well anyway) and do something useful.

Warmogs is an item for tanky DPS types that just want to stay alive because they are effective damage dealers if kept alive long enough. It can sometimes be used as a niche option in other cases, but please dont build it on your tanks or supports (or at least not until very late).

Prometheius

02-20-2011

Warmog's is always a bad idea until you have at least 60% raw mitigation from defense. Your ult won't help you if you're not in it and defense masteries only help so much.

Ryllau Ellemayne

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

I lovve Rushing Warmogs on Alistar after Boots/Chalise. After that I just start rasing my Defences and have fun Tower Diving and Ending group fights.

ItsMeBlackSmith

02-21-2011

uhh banshees?

Larson McMurphy

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
Warmog's is always a bad idea until you have at least 60% raw mitigation from defense.
This is just so wrong. Please go learn about effective health, then do some math. PLEASE.

Lucrid

02-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazikarl View Post
I dont think so.

If you are playing as a tank, Aegis and Randuins are going to be a lot better for your team most of the time. If you finish those...yeah, you can Warmogs (I'd still rather have Sunfire as long as they arent really AP heavy, but whatever).

The same is true if you are playing support.

Maokai does meh damage at best, so he either needs to be tanking or supporting. And in either of those roles, you want to get stuff that increases your survivability AND gives you some kind of nice utility ability, whether its an aura or a good active. Warmogs fails on the second point.

Remember, that just staying alive for a long time isnt that useful. You need to be doing something while you are staying alive. There are really good items that keep you alive just as well as Warmogs (or almost as well anyway) and do something useful.

Warmogs is an item for tanky DPS types that just want to stay alive because they are effective damage dealers if kept alive long enough. It can sometimes be used as a niche option in other cases, but please dont build it on your tanks or supports (or at least not until very late).
You present a compelling argument.

I have revised my maokai build to first obtain an Aegis (every tank should have one), and boots of some sort.

However, Maokai has severe issues with mana when dealing with his ulti, so it is advisable to get some sort of mana gear. Core items should be both useful and cheap, so Banshees is out of the question, as is Randuins, so my next suggestion would be either Chalice or Glacial Shroud, depending on enemy team composition.

After that, it seems fairly acceptable to rush a Warmogs.

HKBS KyoKunChan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-21-2011

I like the item on SOME heros, I will have to try it on him to see how I like it.

Kalshazzak

02-21-2011

Catalyst is a better/cheaper mana item than glacial, and then you can upgrade it into BV which is more useful than chalice.

Omen+ult is like exhausting multiple auto-attackers.(how is that NOT useful in Maokais role as support?)

StardustxDragon

02-21-2011

needs rod of ages,frozen heart or
sunfire
and banshee better items