Tips for Newbies (Not for Noobs)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Silent Reaper

01-29-2010

I've noticed that alot of people are new to playing LoL, and some people aren't even that good with strategies....Anywho, i decided it would be good to "Share the wisdom" and give a few simple tips for beginners at this game to enhance their gaming skills, and at the same time not getting flamed by more experienced players (which is very mean and unwanted....)

Anyways, here's a list of tips...

Character's
- Try to pick a hero with an "easy" difficulty, these heroes usually have very straight forward skills, that anyone can understand to use...
- Try picking a ranged hero rather then a melee hero, this allows you to not take too much damage during the beginning lane phase (1-15 minutes of the game). Also it insures that you're chance of dying is more unlikely.
- During the champion select, check to see which champions you're allies have chosen, try to chose a hero that will most benefit you're group.
For example, if you're team comprises of mostly of melee characters, try picking something that will benefit them, such as a support champion who can give buffs, such as Soraka.

Skills:
-Try picking skills that are ideal, for example the spell exhaust is a skill that can be used in early game's which can give you an immense advantage over you're opponent. Further more, when you upgrade the exhaust spell in the Mastery Section it can be used for both offensive and defensive means...
-One thing i should also point about Exhaust is that it causes the unit to have a 100% chance to miss all of its attacks for ~5 seconds. That being said, during team fights make sure to cast the spell right away on a melee type champions, making them utterly useless during those few important moments of a fight.
-When you take a champion, look at all the skills of the champion before acquiring them. Try to visualize how you will use those spells in game, and how you can combine these spells together to make them more effective. Sometimes you might have to acquire different spells in a different order depending on the situation of the game.
Ex: If you are Master Yi, and you're team is winning, Wuju Style can be immensely helpful... On the other hand if you're team is losing, Meditation can help you stay in lane longer and put up a fight for a longer time...
-When using the skills, get in the habit of using the hotkeys, this will allow you to have much much more mobility then other player's who using the click icon style. Also, it allows you to multi-task between moving you're character and at the same time keep casting spells. Ex: Annie, Anivia, Janna, etc...

Items:
-Sometimes if you're not sure what items to buy ask other player's what they suggest, however do be aware that most of the items they will suggest are for players who are experienced, and know how to acquire gold easily.
-Using the recommended List of item's can usually lead to a good build, however you will learn in time how to alter these builds to allow you to play with certain champions more effectively
-In most cases, massing items is not a good tactic, especially if you're not exactly sure what you're doing. If you see a gangplank who's massing avarice blades, don't be surprised, there are experienced players who seem to use strange item builds, but they often become very useful once their item build is complete. In other words... don`t use complicated item builds unless you know what you`re doing.
-When buying items, you have 2 choices...either buy items that will counter you're opponent, or buy items that will force you're opponents to counter you. Ex: If the entire enemy team is made up of spell caster's, consider getting Mercury Threads (a type of boot made especially to counter spell casters) and an item such as Banshee vail.
-If you plan to be a physical damage dealer, consider getting either Ninja Tabi boots, Berserker Greaves OR Boots of swiftness (NOTE: Speed does not stack while wearing several boots)
-If you plan on being a tank, take items like Thornmail, which can be incredibly powerful against melee characters,

In short...buy items strategically; just because everyone says pure Speed and Damage is the way to go...it isn't, its all about how powerful you can make you're team as a whole, which will allow you to win the game, AS A TEAM.

Gameplay

-During gameplay, try not to take too much damage as this can be potentially fatal later on. Usually staying defensive can help.
-If you are a ranged Champion, consider the two options, either attack minions to get more gold, OR harass the enemy champions by occasionally or frequently attacking them.
-If you see that the enemy you have in you`re lane has 1-2 green bars left (1 bar = 100 hp), ping the enemy champion and ask one of you`re teammates to help gank them.
(Ganking refers to the action of, in simple terms, assassinating an enemy champion, usually occurring when several player`s get together and kill a lone champion.)
-That being said, try to never be alone during the game, if you are in the unfortunate event that there are no teammates nearby, simply stay near an allied tower and play defensively.
-IF you are in LOW HP and you are near a tower you should RUN. Why? Some enemy champions might try to kill you while you have low Hp, EVEN if the tower will attack them.
-In most cases it usually better, and safer to run to you`re home base then to teleport to you`re home base.
-In team fight`s make sure EVERYONE in you`re team is there, don`t try to have a 3vs5 team fight, because odds are, you`re going to die.

Masteries
-Usually the first point you should invest in is Exhaust...this first point can probably give you the most advantage over enemy units then any other mastery skills you invest in.
-Try focusing you`re points in one specific Category rather then spreading them out evenly in all three of them.

Runes:

Red Runes means offensive skills
Yellow Runes mean defensive skills
Blue Runes mean magic skills
Although you can buy for example damage runes from the Blue Rune section, they will not be as powerful, as if you bought the same type of rune that is red.

IF you are a mage i suggest
Red: Magic Penetration
Yellow: Dodge Rate
Blue: Ability Power

If you are a Physical Damage dealer i suggest
Red: Critical Chance Or Critical Damage Or Attack Speed
Yellow: Take either Armor, or Dodge Rate
Blue: Take either Mana Regen or attack speed

That`s about all I can think about right now....I probably forgot some things i should have said, but i hope this helps!

Devil May LOL

01-29-2010

well written. +1
For the rune, I think mage should get magic pen for red, yellow should be hp/level, blue should be cooldown reduction and flat hp for quint. I don't think ability power will really help much.

Silent Reaper

01-29-2010

*bump

Slide

01-29-2010

Not terrible.

Not all right.

But not terrible.

In any case, Im sorry, Im too lazy right now to point out all the things you should change, Im sure people will be coming along and telling your shortly.

I do however take issue with this:

Quote:
Using the recommended List of item's can usually lead to a good build, however you will learn in time how to alter these builds to allow you to play with certain champions more effectively
Heres my issue with this (aside from recommended items being TERRIBLE a good 75% of the time).

If the people your talking to are in this forum, reading your guide, its FAR better advice to tell them to READ A **** GUIDE ON THEIR CHAMPION.

So, ya. Recommended items = bad. Reading guides = good. (mostly anyways. always be sure to read the following posts to see if the advice given is worth taking or ****!)

DonkeyBalls

01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUICKSLIDE View Post
Heres my issue with this (aside from recommended items being TERRIBLE a good 75% of the time).
Could you give a couple of examples of champions with terrible recommended items please?

Silent Reaper

01-29-2010

I don't think any of them have "terrible" item builds. But they just vary in style to what most people consider a more advantageous build. For example, Nunu, is recommended to obtain several tank items such as Sunfire caps and Doran's Shield. However, I believe that he should be a character made especially with pure Magic Ap items... However some other people will disagree and say that Nunu is a tank champion, and hence should have only "tank" items, such as warmogs armor.
You're best bet is to just look up guides people have made for certain champions, and to see for yourself which build works best for you.

ctidesm

01-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyBalls View Post
Could you give a couple of examples of champions with terrible recommended items please?
Poppy
Veigar
Alistar
Tryn
Corky

I'm sure there are more, but I don't play those chars so I wouldn't know.

dongs

01-29-2010

I remember that the game recommends Guardian Angel for Twisted Fate. :\

Dartkun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Reaper View Post
IF you are a mage i suggest
Red: Magic Penetration
Yellow: Dodge Rate
Blue: Ability Power

If you are a Physical Damage dealer i suggest
Red: Critical Chance Or Critical Damage Or Attack Speed
Yellow: Take either Armor, or Dodge Rate
Blue: Take either Mana Regen or attack speed
Well enough for a beginners guide, but this I have problems with.

Mages should consider Mag pen for blue also, or CDR.

Phys should be going
Red: Armor pen (Or crit dmg for specific chars)
Yellow: Dodge
Blue: CDR

Attackspeed isn't ideal since you'll be getting alot of attack speed from your items. (see Malady for example)

TonyVIPokeR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2010

Yes it help t a lot, but why forum makers not reorganizing forum, it really to full and posts some times you can't understand.