Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Farming/Lane Strategies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dragon Slave

01-29-2010

This will be less of a guide and more of a discussion, as I came here seeking information on this topic but found little (none actually, as of Jan 28).

Farming is a big deal, but definitely secondary to getting kills. Consider the following math: a minion is worth, on average, 20.8 gold (on average, 3 casters at 18, 5 warriors at 22, 1/3 of a catapult at 28.5). A champion kill is worth about 300 gold. Thus, 15 minions = 1 champion. Thus, an endgame creep score (CS) of 115 is equal in gold value to 8 kills. Additionally, being dead denies a champion xp and gold that they could have farmed if alive, and killing a champion is worth bonus xp.

But it bugs me that I always have a much lower CS than teammates who seem to do nothing but autoattack and cast their AOE spells. I will sit patiently in lanes, last hitting creeps, watching large groups of them accumulate. I'll bring their numbers down only to keep things in equilibrium, and push to enemy towers quickly when the number of creeps on my side builds up. As far as I know, this is the "right way" to creep.

To keep my champion from autoattacking, I move around. It is actually easier to last hit with melee because the time between click and damage impact is very predictable. With melee, I click the ground near the minion I want to attack and wait until my champion gets there before clicking the target minion. With range, I have to time my attack so the projectile reaches the target at the right time. This depends on the projectile speed and the distance of the minion from me. I also have to be more careful to prevent my ranged heroes from auto-acquiring targets. At least when I am in lane, this seems to be much more efficient than auto-attacking, but I wonder if there is another way I haven't thought of...

I have played this game casually for about a month now. I played DOTA for a long time and probably played about 1000 games, mostly as a pubbie. My creeping strat in DOTA was decent, but in DOTA there was much less emphasis on pushing lanes, and of course creep denial was a big thing. But DOTA didn't have bushes everywhere, nor was it so easy to kill people right at the start. I've played a few games of this where ridiculous tank combos completely closed me and my teammate out of a lane - Try Taric/Sion for something like 5 seconds of stun.

So, I was hoping to hear some farming advice. Also, maybe a discussion of how to stay safe in a dangerous lane at the start, since the advice "hug the tower" is a bit crazy considering it entails missing out on most of the gold and half of the experience. I also have a mechanics question: what's the xp gain range for minion kills?

HanzGruber

01-29-2010

Hugging the tower doesn't deny you experience, only gold. Some characters though, are more farming intensive than others. Tryndamere and Yi are excellent examples of this, having solid late game play, but only if they farm extensively from start to mid game.

Some characters are just plain bad farmers, EG Alistar, my main man (cow?) Many matches that my teams have won, I've finished with less than 30 minion kills. On the other hand, I have made up for that with 20-25 assists, a champ kill or two, and some tower kills.

Edit: And for farming advice, I'm an Alistar player, sorry. I've learned to love last season's fashions and the cheap equipment like Aegis.

DonkeyBalls

Recruiter

01-29-2010

Maybe you get credit for minions you take part in killing, not just the ones you dealt the killing blow. As the above poster said, some champs are made to farm minions and some are poor at it.

Dragon Slave

01-29-2010

Quote:
HanzGruber:
Hugging the tower doesn't deny you experience, only gold.

If the minions are fighting at a reasonable distance from the tower it does deny you experience. It is easy to see because the blue "+xp" boxes are not popping up anymore.

HanzGruber

01-29-2010

yes, but unless you're inexperienced against champs like Eve, Blitz, or Kat, there's no need to hug the tower when they're that far away.