Ghost vs. Boost for General Survivability

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

765Immortal

08-18-2009

I'm authoring this thread just to get some ideas as to why some of us believe one is better than the other when it comes to having more survivability in a session in general.

In most games, I've recently been going Ghost. I like it better because I'm pretty good at watching the mini-map, so I know where and when the enemies will strike. I can usually pop Ghost and juke my way back to base before anyone knew anything.

I also love Ghost for chasing. It works well with many champions. I've been playing Annie recently and have had many incidents where I pop Ghost to chase down fleeing champions and get the kill.

I do hate it, however, when I go Ghost and I have to face a Warwick. It's in those games that I wish I had gotten Boost. However, if I do get ulted by Warwick and Boost out of it, I am always slowed -- unless I've mistaken and all the Warwicks are going Phage nowadays. So, wtf.

I will say, however, that I curse the day when I get boost and there is no Warwick on the other team. Boost is only good in solo situations. I've never gotten away when I Boost in a team battle. That's mainly because multiple slows and/or disables are applied after I Boost. I especially hate it when someone has Frozen Mallet or if Ashe or Anivia are on the enemy team. Most of the disables in this game are slows, I've come to find.

There's not many single-target stuns in the game for Boost to be truly effective in the solo sense. I think the only champions that have a single-target stun (non-Ult) are Sion, Morgana (aimed), Ryze, Amumu (aimed), and I think that's about it.

So here's a bullet list of why I think Ghost is better than Boost when it comes to survivability:

• Provides an advantage for chasing, so you can get the kill before the enemy team can come to stop you
  • Can be used to get away from enemies if you are not disabled and can juke your way to base
  • Can be used by ranged chmpions to better harass enemies without worrying about getting chased down easily
  • Provides no unit colllision

JarL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-18-2009

Boost isn't really an escape mechanism although it functions well in that role at times. Boosts main strength is in 5v5 team fights. Being able to break and immune CC's in order to take a fast advantage in a team fight, which leads to winning said fight and initiating a push.

Shizz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2009

It depends on the champion imo. Tanks, I like to go with boost. Melee DPS, I usually will go with ghost or flash.
With most of the casters I just need flash most of the time.

The Uprising

08-18-2009

If you have decent movement speed, most of the time boost will shave your ass, ghost increases movement speed, but not to such an extent that snares won't rape you. If someone snares you while you are trying to escape with ghost, you are dead.

If you boost once snared, most people will stop chasing you if you have decent movespeed. Even if there are multiple people after you, boost can save you because they have no way of slowing you down (you break one of their stuns, thus costing them that stun, and you are immune to the next stun that they throw at you, so they would need a grand total of 3 snares to slow someone with boost down)

RoarMan

Adjudicator

08-18-2009

Boost at the moment is broken and OP. Anti Snare and Anti Magic, it's like Mino's old ult. It's imba. Ghost can't really compare to it. And the fact that we have stacking slow negates Ghost really. Flash ftw.

Yipperpants

08-18-2009

Their cooldowns also play a strong role. 150s (120 with Willpower) verses 210s.

However, you do bring up a great point, namely that ghost also has several advantageous over boost. I think that Ghost is more directed towards more of an independent playing style (which happens frequently in lower level games) as oppose to Boost's viability in more organized clashes (which is introduced when players get use to the flow of the game). As purely a survival ability, Ghost and Boost are oriented towards totally different situations.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

Adjudicator

08-18-2009

Ghost will definitely be stronger purely for getting out of dodge in the next patch, since Boost is seeing a heavy nerf with the removal of the spell shield aspect.

Jpeg

08-18-2009

i think i'ts an apple vs. orange argument for the above stated reasons. they are just used for different situations.

personally i've had good success with Ghost in escaping ganks with good anticipation/map awareness.

DarkEye

08-18-2009

Boost's spell shield is dissapearing? Interesting. In that case, I don't see why Ghost would be worse off in almost any situation...

765Immortal

08-18-2009

Ok, I understand your argument jpg420. But, since we only have blind pick mode, it's kind of hard to choose wisely. Having said that, I've been trying to find 2 Summoner Spells that work well against any team make-up. So far, Clair and Ghost have been working for me. I want Clair for team support aspect and Ghost for self-support, escape, chasing, etc. I could go Boost and Ghost, but that would be overkill, as far as I'm concerned, in any situation.

So, it's not so much as a matter of "If you are Warwick ulted, what would you rather have, Ghost or Boost?" It's a matter of "If you were to go into a game with either Ghost or Boost not knowing the enemy champions and you couldn't have both, which one would you rather have?"

So that goes back to how frequently do you play against Warwick, what situations does Ghost excel at being advantageous as opposed to Boost (and vice versa), etc.

Maybe the thread title is somewhat misleading and confusing.