Evelynn - AD vs AP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Greyfeld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

I've been looking around at guides, and it seems there's a lot of buzz about AD Eve... or at least there was. There's a guide here that outlines how to play Jungle Evelynn, and it swears by Trinity Force and Madred/Wriggle's. Trinity has the same Sheen-like proc effect, but the two items drop the AP of something like Mejai and Rylai for extra physical capability... more AD, a bit of crit, some extra HP and MP, etc etc.

On the other hand, I've had some pretty great success with AP Evelynn. Early Mejai, directly into Tier 1 Boots, Sheen, Lich Bane, then Boots of Mobility, followed Rylai and Deathcap. I find it gives me amazing burst, and I can tear down a champ's health in just a couple seconds. Though the downside of this is that it relies on having a great laning partner at the beginning of the game so we can coordinate early lane kills.

So I guess my question is, what are others' thoughts on the two builds, and is one more "viable" or "powerful" or even "consistent" than the other?

Doriantv

02-20-2011

AP Evelynn is herp derp. If you don't get fed early, you're irrelevant. You can't jungle and are forced to lane, which sucks because Eve is a poor laner.

AD Evelynn with Wriggles/TriForce is good.

Greyfeld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-20-2011

Sorry, I don't count posts as legitimate opinions when part of their argument hinges on the phrase "herp derp."

Prometheius

02-20-2011

Depends on enemy team. AP is better if they have tons of squishies. AD if they're more tanky.

Call Mee Maybee

02-20-2011

The major reason AD was so much better was it was better to jungle... now that Eve cant jungle I think they are about even depending on the opposing team comp.
The main reason I use AD EVE is b/c of her ult BUT you do have to be a little more skillful b/c its not just burst and run

biomorph

02-20-2011

Prometheius got it just about right.

AP is more of a anti-carry, anti-mage or just anti-squishy if you will but if fed she will deliver insane burst to anything that gets in her way. And because of the burst she is brilliant for coordinated ganks where you want to instagib someone. The motto would something like: fast in, hammer and get out.

AD is a semi-carry with stealth and thanks to her ultimate and ravage debuff she can deliver massive sustained damage to anyone and anything. This also makes her more accessible to any player since it is a more straight forward play style. the motto would be something like: gimme a target and I'll keep hitting it until it is dead.

I would not say which build is better because they both have their merits and their flaws. That said, AP is more sensitive to bad starts whereas AD will find it's rightful place given enough time regardless. I have jungled a lot with AP eve so don't let anyone tell you it can not be done granted it became very tedious after patch 1.0.0.109. Ironically the nerf hurt AP eve more than AD which is almost completely unhindered by the nerf. The nerf also hurt her laning more than her jungling. The logic of these Riot guys is pretty hard to grasp at times...

Anyhow that is my view of it all =P

Tha Dynamite

02-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
Depends on enemy team. AP is better if they have tons of squishies. AD if they're more tanky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biomorph View Post
Prometheius got it just about right.

AP is more of a anti-carry, anti-mage or just anti-squishy if you will but if fed she will deliver insane burst to anything that gets in her way. And because of the burst she is brilliant for coordinated ganks where you want to instagib someone. The motto would something like: fast in, hammer and get out.

AD is a semi-carry with stealth and thanks to her ultimate and ravage debuff she can deliver massive sustained damage to anyone and anything. This also makes her more accessible to any player since it is a more straight forward play style. the motto would be something like: gimme a target and I'll keep hitting it until it is dead.

I would not say which build is better because they both have their merits and their flaws. That said, AP is more sensitive to bad starts whereas AD will find it's rightful place given enough time regardless. I have jungled a lot with AP eve so don't let anyone tell you it can not be done granted it became very tedious after patch 1.0.0.109. Ironically the nerf hurt AP eve more than AD which is almost completely unhindered by the nerf. The nerf also hurt her laning more than her jungling. The logic of these Riot guys is pretty hard to grasp at times...

Anyhow that is my view of it all =P
Listen to these guys. They are 100% spot on.

Cenerae

02-20-2011

AP Eve is only useful for killing one person at a time. You can smash one person and then be stuck hate spike spamming until Ravage comes off cooldown. AD Eve can potentially smash an entire team since she's actually getting use out of her ultimate's active portion. With just a trinity force she does very high sustained DPS and it rips squishies apart in no time.

So I guess it depends on whether you like hit and run tactics or not. Given Eve has only one good nuke and is otherwise mostly reliant on lichbane procs to kill people, I'd say AD Eve is a lot more reliable. AP Eve has the potential to snowball harder though.

Greyfeld

02-20-2011

You guys make a lot of great points, and pretty much confirmed my suspicions. Personally, I like the insta-gib playstyle where I kill somebody within 2-3 seconds, then stealth and stalk away. The problem, however, is that it isn't too long before the other team starts buying oracle or wards, which makes it hard to gank anybody without hiding in the grass, or inside one of the larger champs (Cho makes a fantastic Eve camo to get close to enemies who are using Oracle lol).

How do you guys feel about Archangel's Staff on AP Eve? On paper, the extra mana should keep her out on the field longer, and Hate Spike spam should easily make the mana max out quickly. But I have a feeling it's one of those "better on paper than in practice" situations, because building Archangel puts off key items like Mejai and Lich Bane early in the match, and the mana issue is almost gone by mid-game.

biomorph

02-20-2011

The thing about oracle and hiding in brush is not necessarily a problem. This is like playing Poppy, you hide and wait for the right moment and by the time they notice you it's too late. So best way to deal with oracles is learning their range and then stay outside it until the right moment.

Arch Angel sounds great and with hate spike you can charge it pretty quick. I did experiment with it and it doesn't really do the trick. The the mana regen and AP is great no question about it but the problem is your efficiency curve as you build it and that is what many people tend to overlook. By getting a early tear your ability to do anything but farm a lane is zero and that is not what Evelynn is supposed to do. Compared to a fast Sheen, Boots and Mejai which puts you right where you are supposed to be at each point of assembly Arch Angel just can't compete at all. If you use MR5/lvl seals and 9/0/21 masteries you should not have any problems with mana between bluepills after a few levels which you point out your self.
I did a calculation and a fully charged Arch Angel with Lich Bane yields 124 AP which is the same as a 13 stack Mejai. This is pretty decent but again the problem is that it is slow and Eve needs her AP and gank capabilities asap and I have not seen anything that competes with Sheen, Mobility and Mejai in terms of fast efficiency.

I did a guide on AP jungle eve some patches back. It is a bit of a mess since I have had to fiddle with it due to the two major changes over the time. It's not a super jungle tripper but works. It can be found here here if interested. It is the best item build for AP Evelynn I can think off because it has all the right elements and very efficient while you assemble it. It's not because there isn't a lot of good alternative items, I discuss several items in the guide, it's just very difficult to fit them in anywhere as a replacement and at the same time improve it. If anyone knows of anything I would love to hear it but also why that is because I have tested a lot of stuff on Evelynn and it's not a coincidence I keep coming back to that build.